SkyHD box, record and pause issues?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
Forum Member
✭✭
So I've had a problem with my Sky HD box (Old, original Thomson model) for a while. It seems if I leave it on for too long, turned on or on standby, that live pause will no longer work, nor will recording of live TV.

For example, every time Dexter comes on and I want to record it, I have to reboot the sky box (Taking the power cable out the back and re-plugging it in) before it's due to record, otherwise it will make no attempt to record it and will tell me recording failed come eleven.

Even tonight I tried to pause the live feed from Five HD, and it didn't work. Tried another channel, same issue, even tried the buttons on the front of the box to see if it was the remote, still no pausing. I then unplugged the box, waited thirty seconds, plugged it back in, once it powered back up, I was able to pause without a problem.

Not sure if it's related, but a year ago I had my Thomson fixed, new Capacitors replaced due to the age old Thomson capacitor failure. While it was under, I had the nice fellow fit a one TB hard drive too, for the extra space. This still lists 34% storage space, so it's not a case of “no HDD space, can't pause” which is why I'm totally baffled, but I'm wondering if it could be related to the new/different HDD and a possible update Sky has rolled out affecting the system?

Has anyone got any clue on why this is doing this? I think it's been occurring for quite a while, as I've noticed failed recordings for at least a month, I just was never at home to check due to terrible work hours. I hope it's nothing that needs it sending off for exchange, as then I'l lose the extra space I paid for, which would really piss me off.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact just happened now, was watching one channel while recording robot Chicken on FX, the recording light appeared on the box, all signs indicated it was recording. Went to my planner to check, tells me recording failed, "technical fault".

This is getting really annoying and worrying, as it seems to be my sky box is on it's way out, which means losing the HDD if I have to get sky to exchange the box.
  • lesnar01lesnar01 Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »
    In fact just happened now, was watching one channel while recording robot Chicken on FX, the recording light appeared on the box, all signs indicated it was recording. Went to my planner to check, tells me recording failed, "technical fault".

This is getting really annoying and worrying, as it seems to be my sky box is on it's way out, which means losing the HDD if I have to get sky to exchange the box.

i had this problem and a planner rebuild fixed the problem for me u will loose all your recordings but at least it will fix the problem for u :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just had the issue of recordings being listed as "failed" despite them recording, or both?

Really don't want to have to wipe the entire drive to fix the issue, but if that's the only answer, then I guess it'l have to do..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just had the issue of recordings being listed as "failed" despite them recording, or both?

Really don't want to have to wipe the entire drive to fix the issue, but if that's the only answer, then I guess it'l have to do..

i could only record the channel i was watching if i was recording another it always said failed when i done a planner rebuild it fixed the problem and has been working perfect ever since
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not actually sure if that is the issue, but it could make sense. I'l make a recording now for a channel I'm not watching and see.

If that is the issue, I'm gonna be so pissed, as I've got so much stuff stored on the sky box I didn't fancy deleting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not actually sure if that is the issue, but it could make sense. I'l make a recording now for a channel I'm not watching and see.

If that is the issue, I'm gonna be so pissed, as I've got so much stuff stored on the sky box I didn't fancy deleting.

yes i was the same let me know if its the same issue has what i had
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, not so sure now. Recorded two programs at separate times, one while I was watching another channel, one while the sky box was on standby, and both recorded fine.

Oh and I've had the robot chicken Recording fail on me before when the sky box was on standby while I was at work, so it almost seems to be program/channel specific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, not so sure now. Recorded two programs at separate times, one while I was watching another channel, one while the sky box was on standby, and both recorded fine.

Oh and I've had the robot chicken Recording fail on me before when the sky box was on standby while I was at work, so it almost seems to be program/channel specific.

o rite that seems very strange if it will record two channels one minute and not the next :confused:
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A PLANNER REBUILD will NOT wipe your recordings, only a FULL SYSTEM RESET will do that, which re formats the hard drive.

What are the signal strength and quality readings on the two inputs? If one is a bit low that will be your problem.

Have you upgraded the power supply capacitors? If not that's the first thing you need to do. One of the most common symptoms of the capacitors failing is no or poor signal, often starting on just certain channels and only one of the inputs affected, but once it starts it gradually gets worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a guy fit and change them a while back, as said in my original post, so I'd hoped they'd not of failed already. The signal strengths aren't bad, for both input one and two the first bar is about 50% and the second bars vary from around 25-50%.

To clarify:

Input 1 signal strength - 75%
    input 1 signal quality - 15% on average

Input 2 signal strength - 50%
    input 2 signal quality - 25%

So they seem fine, and there's no issue with the picture either, not flickering or cutting out, just the issue of recordings often wont initiate and being unable to live pause.

Both of which are fixed by unplugging the box and plugging it back in, but I end up having to do that too often for me to mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a guy fit and change them a while back, as said in my original post, so I'd hoped they'd not of failed already. The signal strengths aren't bad, for both input one and two the first bar is about 50% and the second bars vary from around 25-50%.
    Sorry I missed the bit about having the PSU fixed already.

25 to 50% is low for signal quality, it really needs to be at least 75% to be totally reliable. Certainly under 50% is too low.

I'm now beginning to think your dish has been knocked a bit out of alignment and getting that re aligned should be your next move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, they've always been around those levels, and generally, it's been fine. To adjust the dish would I have to call out the Sky guys, or is it something I can do with a ladder and someone watching the signal bars?

Also it depends on the channel, i..e on bbc one, the signal bars are a lot fuller than on other channels, with both input 1 bars being about 90%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, they've always been around those levels, and generally, it's been fine. To adjust the dish would I have to call out the Sky guys, or is it something I can do with a ladder and someone watching the signal bars?

Also it depends on the channel, i..e on bbc one, the signal bars are a lot fuller than on other channels, with both input 1 bars being about 90%.

For self aligning a dish look at www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk Although intended to show you how to set up a portable satellite dish at a caravan site, the alignment instructions are equally applicable to a home installation.

With a sky HD box one of the tuners will remain on the channel you are watching, while the other switches to the default transponder. So make sure before you select the signal test screen, you first set the box so it's watching one of the channels that you have problems receiving, so you know you are aligning the dish on the weakest channel.

Another tip is turn off the mini tv, then you will see all 4 signal strength and quality bars at the same time rather than having to page up or page down.

If you have a portable tv that you can get somewhere visible while adjusting the dish then rig that up with extension leads, that's much more reliable than an assistant shouting readings to you.

As your dish is working, you will only need to make TINY adjustments to the position it's in at the moment.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have had the PSU done recently by a competent person using good products then it seems the first choice you have is to tweak your dish to increase your quality readings , are there any objects in front of the dish such as trees or buildings

Its the signal Quality that is the important indicator not the strength,when do the quality bars improve or decrease , with wind , rain or Sunshine ?

To discount problems with the box,can you borrow a box from a friend or neighbour to see if the problems arise using their box and your dish or vice versa,take your box and introduce it into their set up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the repair was done by a competent guy, recommended to me by someone on here when I had the original PSU problem, so that's totally fine.

The thing is, it choosing to not record or pause is completely random. It's not happened at all today (so far). I still can't quite see how the signal quality will affect the ability to pause live TV or not. Note, the picture is fine, no artefacts or loss of picture/sound. Just occasionally won't pause/record.

also no, the satellite dish isn't blocked by trees or anything. All I can reckon is it's moved by maybe a bird landing on it, given we've had no strong wind to knock it about.

Besides, I doubt the wind could move it, as it survived a massive windy night a while back with no change to pausing, recording, or picture quality. (Well, aside from the poor quality during the storm, which is to be expected)
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you seem to be doubting everything that is suggested as been your problem,

if you are getting

Input 1 signal quality - 15% on average
    nput 2 signal quality - 25%

So they seem fine

I think not,sadly.

You need to find out why , which involves trying the suggestions mention

Or ringing Sky to get a free service call

Have you looked closely at your dish and mountings,are there all 4 mounting bolts been used ?

Good luck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not doubting it, just no ones explained how a signal quality will affect the ability to pause live tv? I assumed signal quality meant just that, the quality of the signal and the picture/sound. If it does have an effect on the ability to Live pause and record TV, then I will check it.

Or, next time I am unable to pause, I'l check the signal bars and see what they read. They do fluctuate per channel, so it's hard to get a good reading of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had the issue again, or similar. I paused the Tv, then after a minute or two it unpaused itself. I paused it again, entered the tv guide menu to check the signal (all were at 50% or above) backed out of the Tv guide menu, and the pause icon had disappeared, couldn't restart the live broadcast or anything.

It eventually fixed itself when it "unpaused" on it's own and carried on.