Options

Jeremy Forrest guilty of child abduction

Comments

• Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw a security image of these two online as they were fleeing England and though the girl's face was pixellated, her very ample chest wasn't. She is a million miles away from being a child. Ridiculous.

It didn't start on that day, it started a year earlier. You are confusing physical maturity with emotional maturity. The reason we raised the age of consent in Victorian times was because we realised puberty isn't really any indication of readiness to get married or bear children. Puberty by the way starts at an average of ten years nowadays so I don't know what kind of road we're going to be going down if we use it as a guide for enforcing the law.
  • Options
    Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I'm not surprised he got longer, but it's a bit daft.

This is because he was a teacher and they are sending out a warning to other teachers not to do the same.

This does remind me of that Police song to be honest.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve781 wrote: »
    Spain has a low age of consent because it doesn't need a higher one. The strength of family and community mean that girls are not really at risk of early sexual activity. But most Spaniards disapprove of relationships with13 year old girls as much as we do.

I just find it interesting that even in countries with a lower age of consent there are addendums and riders that take into account people in positions of power over the young person and have provision for larger age differences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never had a crush on my teacher but I did fancy the postman and I used to hang around waiting for him to deliver the post to my house.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Baz O wrote: »
    This is because he was a teacher and they are sending out a warning to other teachers not to do the same.

As I said earlier, I don't think it will act as a deterent, solely because as cliched as it is, love and lust are pretty blind.
    This does remind me of that Police song to be honest.

That's not really surprising, given that the song is about this sort of thing.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    Do you think the girl might be a bit backward? Look at the stuff she's posting online. Any normal person would be dying of embarrassment and keeping their head down.
    Did I her right then when they made up fake names in France she decided on "Lana Del Ray"? Her trying to pass unnoticed by taking the same name as a star, and him being fine with that, makes me doubt the intellect of both of them.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I am surprised he got more than Stuart Hall because in my opinion there is no comparison.

Only because you don't know the law, but that's fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    As I said earlier, I don't think it will act as a deterent, solely because as cliched as it is, love and lust are pretty blind.

That's not really surprising, given that the song is about this sort of thing.

Yes it is and I think she will be waiting for him when he is released from jail. This sort of thing went on a lot when I was at school many moons ago. I can quite honestly say I can't remember any teacher ending up in jail because of it ... they were usually just sacked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're clearly forgetting about the natural biological line of puberty, which is far more important and real than any laws we choose to write down.

Well for me that was age 10 and some girls are as early as 8 these days so that makes a nonsense of that statement.
  • Options
    Macbeth88Macbeth88 Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Actually saw this guy walking out of court (on TV) - I'm sure many others did as well - and as he sort of smiled for/at the camera, I'm felt there was something very sinister/weird about him. Very creepy, which would really sort someone like him up.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Yes it is and I think she will be waiting for him when he is released from jail. This sort of thing went on a lot when I was at school many moons ago. I can quite honestly say I can't remember any teacher ending up in jail because of it ... they were usually just sacked.

He won't be interested in her, she'll be too old for him by then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    Do you think the girl might be a bit backward? Look at the stuff she's posting online. Any normal person would be dying of embarrassment and keeping their head down.

A bit of a tearaway would be how my mother would describe her. I wonder if the other older man will be tracked down and prosecuted. She was clearly even younger when she was doing the business with him.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did wrong and will serve time for it.

Many people have been affected by his actions and those of the (now 16-year-old) girl. It seems that she left home two months ago, has been in contact with him and says she will wait for him.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably because they didnt abduct then and cause an international incident.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Moontaker wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with him being punished but the length of sentence seems harsh, especially when a mother was sentenced to 30 months yesterday for putting her 6 day old baby girl in a bag and throwing her down a rubbish chute. The child has brain injuries and will need constant care for the rest of her life.

Our justice system is a joke.

I agree.

There is just no consistency or common sense where our justice system is concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Only because you don't know the law, but that's fair enough.

I do know the law and sometimes it can be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Probably because they didnt abduct then and cause an international incident.

Was she abducted? I thought she went willingly with him. She should have waited until she was 16 and then left. I myself moved in with my boyfriend for a few weeks when I was 16 and there was nothing my mother could do about it.
  • Options
    jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are the daily mail posters trolls?

they are actually saying that the teacher did nothing wrong and they hope they end up together when he comes out

wtf
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    He was clearly just fell for the wrong person. As a treacher he should have behaved far better though. He did wrong, but 5 and a half years is crazy.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she abducted? I thought she went willingly with him. She should have waited until she was 16 and then left. I myself moved in with my boyfriend for a few weeks when I was 16 and there was nothing my mother could do about it.

Then she should have told her friends and family so as not to cause all the worry etc. But she couldnt because he denied being involved with her to her mum and colleugues.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic never ceases to amaze (or should I say shock) me.

30 year old teacher grooms and has sex with a 14 year old girl and then absconded with her as a 15 year old girl and people somehow sympathise and feel sorry for him.

I can't believe people are seriously hoping she holds out for him, its as if people see this as a romantic love story.

I'm at a loss, I really am.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve781 wrote: »
    It didn't start on that day, it started a year earlier. You are confusing physical maturity with emotional maturity. The reason we raised the age of consent in Victorian times was because we realised puberty isn't really any indication of readiness to get married or bear children. Puberty by the way starts at an average of ten years nowadays so I don't know what kind of road we're going to be going down if we use it as a guide for enforcing the law.

I'm not the one confusing anything. it is certain posters on here who confuse a person BELOW puberty with a person PAST puberty.
    Say it with me slowly, one is a child, the other is an adolescent.
    For some reason I truly cannot fathom, the British people seem utterly incapable of understanding that a MINOR is not the same thing as a CHILD.
    A minor is a person under the age of 16, a child is a person under the age of puberty.
    'Minor' is a legal term, 'Child' is a biological term.

This ain't quantum physics FFS.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I can quite honestly say I can't remember any teacher ending up in jail because of it ... they were usually just sacked.

I'm guessing because most of the time people didn't complain to the police and their parents didn't know.
    Macbeth88 wrote: »
    Actually saw this guy walking out of court (on TV) - I'm sure many others did as well - and as he sort of smiled for/at the camera, I'm felt there was something very sinister/weird about him. Very creepy, which would really sort someone like him up.

As I said, he looks socially awkward. That can come across as creepy though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    are the daily mail posters trolls?

they are actually saying that the teacher did nothing wrong and they hope they end up together when he comes out

wtf

Are they? I do think he did wrong and he should have waited until she was no longer his pupil but sometimes love can be blind .... I should know as I was also drawn to an older man which my parents soon put a stop to.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    This topic never ceases to amaze (or should I say shock) me.

30 year old teacher grooms and has sex with a 14 year old girl and then absconded with her as a 15 year old girl and people somehow sympathise and feel sorry for him.

I can't believe people are seriously hoping she holds out for him, its as if people see this as a romantic love story.

I'm at a loss, I really am.

In Romeo and Juliet, Juliet was 13, not sure how old 'pedo' Romeo was.