Options

EE about to enter a really exciting period

Comments

• Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the new castings are cause for optimism, we should be cautious :D. The writing is still dodgy (last night's episode in particular - how naïve was Alice trusting Carl?!). Hopefully, they can improve and develop these new characters into key players on the Square. I'm looking forward to Jamie Lomas's arrival as Jake Stone (even if his backstory is a bit "I've seen it all before") and I'm liking Carl so far as well as Danny - they both have potential.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if you name's Carole Jackson :D

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    While the new castings are cause for optimism, we should be cautious :D. The writing is still dodgy (last night's episode in particular - how naïve was Alice trusting Carl?!). Hopefully, they can improve and develop these new characters into key players on the Square. I'm looking forward to Jamie Lomas's arrival as Jake Stone (even if his backstory is a bit "I've seen it all before") and I'm liking Carl so far as well as Danny - they both have potential.

But that's Alice??? That's who she is. She's a wet willy who always sees the good in people and is totally gullible... That's her character.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They really need to highlight stranger danger, don't they?
    Bianca practically told him her life story over the phone, hence him tracking her down the next day, and Alice had some lessons in Muppetology! :D
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, we can but hope re the future of the show perking up somewhat after a doldrum-esque past couple of years or three in the main - whereby things have largely been going round in circles and some of the storylines have been very jackanory in their creation and final execution! I personally think the rot set in at this time in 2010 when the preacher turned murderer of the Square, namely Lucas was revealed as being the serial killer and when he took Denise hostage.....not to mention all the dross in between since then such as the hugely underwhelming Kat and Alfie return, the all singing and dancing introduction of Derek Branning, which was something of a massive anti climax and which of course the upshot of his presence which would eventually give us the worst storyline ever re Who Shagged Kat!

The new villain looks worth his salt though so far (Carl) and the re-introduction of Ronnie to come and other characters (who will presumably be related to the Square) should hopefully take the show in a more 'exciting' direction. Please though.....no more pap episodes with the likes of Poppy and Fatboy talking absolute crap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    But that's Alice??? That's who she is. She's a wet willy who always sees the good in people and is totally gullible... That's her character.

I understand that - I understand that Alice's character is meant to be really naïve and gullible, but not only was that naïve and gullible - it was plain stupid the way she just let this stranger inside and didn't question anything. Even when she found Carl inside Derek's room, she didn't really get suspicious and Carl was able to act his way out of the situation. Nobody is that stupid in real life.
    Alice's suppose to be an intelligent, naïve working girl, but not stupid. Point is, there's a line where being gullible and naïve turns into stupidity.

Additionally, it wasn't just Alice, it was also Bianca - who basically told Carl her life story :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    They really need to highlight stranger danger, don't they?
    Bianca practically told him her life story over the phone, hence him tracking her down the next day, and Alice had some lessons in Muppetology! :D

Lol, yes, they do. Everybody seems too trusting on the Square. Well, except for the likes of Kat and Phil.

I know :D. I couldn't believe Bianca's stupidity in that scene.

I can just imagine Alice befriending a serial killer one of these days :D.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that - I understand that Alice's character is meant to be really naïve and gullible, but not only was that naïve and gullible - it was plain stupid the way she just let this stranger inside and didn't question anything. Even when she found Carl inside Derek's room, she didn't really get suspicious and Carl was able to act his way out of the situation. Nobody is that stupid in real life.
    Alice's suppose to be an intelligent, naïve working girl, but not stupid. Point is, there's a line where being gullible and naïve turns into stupidity.

I think the thinking behind Alice's stupidity and naivety being combined and going on to scale new heights in yesterday's episode is possibly meant to demonstrate to the viewer that her head is all over the shop at the moment after what happened with Michael and how it's clouding her judgement of all else at the moment - that's not to mention the stolen goods and her being piggy in the middle with all that Scartlett business with Janine, I don't think she's bothered about much else at the moment either, such as being mislead by strangers from her Dad's past.....!
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll get me coat.

ahahaa Lool :D:D
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Additionally, it wasn't just Alice, it was also Bianca - who basically told Carl her life story :D.

:eek:

Janine hasn't got her on the game yet has she.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    I think the thinking behind Alice's stupidity and naivety being combined and going on to scale new heights in yesterday's episode is possibly meant to demonstrate to the viewer that her head is all over the shop at the moment after what happened with Michael and how it's clouding her judgement of all else at the moment - that's not to mention the stolen goods and her being piggy in the middle with all that Scartlett business with Janine, I don't think she's bothered about much else at the moment either, such as being mislead by strangers from her Dad's past.....!

Yes, I could you could be right there, Guido. I would buy that explanation. Good post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    :eek:

Janine hasn't got her on the game yet has she.

LOL :D:D. Who knows, if Janine goes skint again, she might well get Alice, Lauren Poppy and Whitney as her working girls :D.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting for the fantastic and exciting Autumn 2012 we were promised...
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It felt like we were last night. Something felt different compared to previous eps

One episode is no sign of anything, as the starters of the 300 odd 'EastEnders improving', 'EE on the up' type threadss these past few years will know only too well. Particularly one that centres around something non day to day like an arrival.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,962
    Forum Member
    One episode is no sign of anything, as the starters of the 300 odd 'EastEnders improving', 'EE on the up' type threadss these past few years will know only too well. Particularly one that centres around something non day to day like an arrival.

its not just one episode. its been a run of two weeks of good episodes but i felt something changed last night. just my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not just one episode. its been a run of two weeks of good episodes but i felt something changed last night. just my opinion

A good run of two weeks? Would you say the Snake Week was a good week then? :eek:
    Because that was one of THE worst I've seen if I'm being totally honest :eek: :o.
  • Options
    linc52linc52 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really hope you are right but they need to stop with the brannings overkill
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me EE has been good since the 7th June which was Ian's opening of the restaurant, since then there hasnt been 1 episode that I have not enjoyed.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,962
    Forum Member
    A good run of two weeks? Would you say the Snake Week was a good week then? :eek:
    Because that was one of THE worst I've seen if I'm being totally honest :eek: :o.

that was before the two week run :p the first ep was danny and peters return
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that was before the two week run :p the first ep was danny and peters return

Ah yes, you're right. I did think last week was better with Peter's arrival. This week has been mostly below average IMO.
  • Options
    Bomani channingBomani channing Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    According to Ms Newman.

I really hope it's true. It's also being billed as a huge summer and autumn for the show.

We have a new villian in Carl, Danny's return full time. Jake's arrival, Cindy Jr arriving, Ronnie's return and possible return of David Wicks. Michael's dark exit and also Jack's exit. We also still have a possible new family arriving.
    who the hell are carl and jake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who the hell are carl and jake?

Carl White - Kirsty's ex and Derek's old cellmate in prison, who showed up in last night's episode to get his money back from Ian.

Jake Stone - a new character that has been announced. He is set to be played by Jamie Lomas - ex-Hollyoaks actor and one of the better actors who've been on the show. The character is a recovering alcoholic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you mona, Peter has been ok and I am really anti-recasts so that is a good sign. The drama with Laurens alcoholism has been brilliant the past two weeks, that episode where Tanya kicked Lauren out was great to watch IMO. This Carl White fella seems promising, at least more so than past castings aka Derek Branning. But its early days, I have enjoyed the past two weeks and hope for more of the same or hopefully even better! :)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be traditional for things to kick off at the end of August 'The hook' was how the shows creators described it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

I'll get me coat.

Lmao:eek::D:D