A lot of talk on UNIs here- sooo where do/did you go and what do/did you study?

2»

Comments

• *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I wish people wouldn't use unusual abbreviations without explaining them - what on earth is a UNI?

Unusual? I would have said it was a common abbreviation myself.

I went to Keele and studied Music and English and then did a PCGE at what was then Kingston Poly (that's Polytechnic for the abbreviationally challenged).
  • WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School Of Life - Being Brilliant (1st class hons)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice to anyone thinking of going to uni to study non vocational subjects is just go to your local tech and do an NVQ in business admin because you'll probably end up as an office junior at 25 with a general degree anyway.

My friends and I all went to uni and at nearly 30 most of them still work in bars and shops. Pointless from a qualification aspect though good if you want to spend 3 years getting drunk midweek.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    My advice to anyone thinking of going to uni to study non vocational subjects is just go to your local tech and do an NVQ in business admin because you'll probably end up as an office junior at 25 with a general degree anyway.

My friends and I all went to uni and at nearly 30 most of them still work in bars and shops. Pointless from a qualification aspect though good if you want to spend 3 years getting drunk midweek.

If you go to uni, it's actually better to do the pure subjects (maths etc.) or vocational ones like medicine and engineering but not business or accounting. You can get professional qualifications for those during your career.

I do think a lot depends on which uni you go to as well. Always try to pick a uni based on its academic standing and not just because you like the town it's based in. If you get a degree from a top uni, it's unlikely you will end up in a non-professional job.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Degree from the University of Life

Diploma from the school of hard knocks

And three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    University of Cumbria. I'm still here. Please don't hunt me down and kill me tomorrow.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Anyway, what's wrong with the long form?

It's for the same reason that people refer to Central Processing Unit as a CPU, Random Access Memory as RAM, Hard Drive as HD, personal computer as PC, in computer parlance.

Everybody (or so I thought) would know what Uni means.
  • TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    BSc Hons at Durham University: Biomedical Sciences.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Art college.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ball so hard university.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my first year at Uni of Sheffield. Doing Biochemistry.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's for the same reason that people refer to Central Processing Unit as a CPU, Random Access Memory as RAM, Hard Drive as HD, personal computer as PC, in computer parlance.

Everybody (or so I thought) would know what Uni means.

Yeah. But. to be fair "UNI" could be anything. It's probably those pesky upper cases that got the poster perplexed.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    university of salford @ Media City UK.
    final year
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. But. to be fair "UNI" could be anything. It's probably those pesky upper cases that got the poster perplexed.

Yep - I assumed it was an acronym. Like the examples given earlier.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Degree from the University of Life

Diploma from the school of hard knocks

And three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me.

I did all that and went to two real universities as well.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    St Andrews University - Faculty of Science - BSc :o

What subject?

I went to St Andrews and did biology.
    Now doing an MSc in Oceanography at Southampton University... and wondering why the hell I decided to come back to uni haha!