English national anthem at the Commonwealth games

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
I was lucky enough to go to the 2002 Commonwealth games final night of Athletics in Manchester. We, England, won seven gold medals as far as I can remember. One of the things which made it even better was that the crowd got to sing "Land of Hope And Glory" (as opposed to that dirge tune "God Save The Queen"), the words were flashed up on the scoreboard, it was like the Last Night Of The Proms, but 10X bigger. Fabulous.
So what I don`t understand is that the English national anthem in Glasgow seems to be "Jerusalem". When did that change, and why ? Or am I suffering from a false memory of it all ? ! ?

Comments

• Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member

Thanks for that DB. I have to say I`m a bit surprised at Land Of Hope & Glory being "outvoted" by Jerusalem ! Who exactly voted in that ? ! ?
    I can`t think of a more rousing song than "L of H & G", personally I`d like to see "God Save The Queen/King" junked and replaced by L of H & G !
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that DB. I have to say I`m a bit surprised at Land Of Hope & Glory being "outvoted" by Jerusalem ! Who exactly voted in that ? ! ?
    I can`t think of a more rousing song than "L of H & G", personally I`d like to see "God Save The Queen/King" junked and replaced by L of H & G !

I do agree, I have been in the Albert Hall when LOHAG has been played (NOT the last night of proms) and it is very stirring, Jerusalem is a nice tune, but not "anthemic" nor stirring to me.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone I've spoken to so far echos your thoughts DangerBrother.

Jerusalem is a nice song, but no way is it a rousing anthem like Land of Hope and Glory.

Apparently the vote for Jerusalem was overwhelmingly in favour. I'd like to know who on earth voted because I haven't met a single person who prefers Jerusalem.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I suspect a decision had already been taken to exclude LoHaG from the results and so Jerusalem theoretically topped the poll. Cameron wanted Jerusalem, so I guess that's why it 'won'.
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I vow to thee my country' gets my vote, Jerusalem is a just a little overly religious for me...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I vow to thee my country' gets my vote, Jerusalem is a just a little overly religious for me...

At least Jerusalem mentions England. LOHAG doesn't mention England (or Britain) and is overly religious too. Still a stonking tune though.

I Vow to Thee My County is also fairly religious. The whole second verse about "another country" is pure religion.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect a decision had already been taken to exclude LoHaG from the results and so Jerusalem theoretically topped the poll. Cameron wanted Jerusalem, so I guess that's why it 'won'.

Nice theory but wasn't the poll carried out BEFORE the 2010 election? Maybe Gordon Brown wanted the worst one to win!
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    I do agree, I have been in the Albert Hall when LOHAG has been played (NOT the last night of proms) and it is very stirring, Jerusalem is a nice tune, but not "anthemic" nor stirring to me.

At the last night of athletics in Manchester (2002) it was sung by the vast majority of the 35,000 there, including my mate Bertrand from Paris in a French accent ! It was absolutely fantastic ! ! !
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or, alternatively, it could have been that in a free and fair, non-political vote, Jeruslaem got more votes than the other options?
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Jerusalem better than the other two
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want religion in the song etc. what about this one... a huge patriotic number, rousing and stirring... much more so than the dreary Jerusalem
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want religion in the song etc. what about this one... a huge patriotic number, rousing and stirring... much more so than the dreary Jerusalem

or if you'd like another WW2 anthem that made out it was only the English taking part, how about this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzhgn5RMJc
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    or if you'd like another WW2 anthem that made out it was only the English taking part, how about this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzhgn5RMJc

See i don't know if you're trying to troll or if you think you're being serious... if you're trolling me who do you think you are kidding... it's not a WW2 anthem for a start, being composed in 1968... 23 years after the war. Secondly it's a TV theme song, and thirdly, just no.
    Also NOWHERE in the lyrics of There'll always be an England does it make out that it was only the English taking part in the war. It doesn't even mention the war, it's about how while there's Englishmen still in England, the country will remain.