Mark's Sweating!

RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Felt for the bloke in the pitch and in the boardroom. He had a right sweat on! I've been there before you can feel the sweat run down your face, the more you think about it, the more you sweat, horrible! They could have least turned the air-con up for him!

Looks to me he was/is having some stress/anxiety issues with the whole process?

Comments

• chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That pitch and the whole boardroom were scary.
    He was perspiring profusely as if he was having a fever.

Poor lad. At least he survived. I think he deserved a second chance
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the sweating, I started to think he was actually ill- it looked like it was a cold sweat. Makes sense with the coughing fit he had earlier. Not really a fan of his, but I felt for him feeling so vulnerable.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I thought he wasn't well too. He looked white and in a cold sweat. Considering he has been fine in other pitches, that would make sense.
    The guy should just have owned up and said he was ill.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt for him as well. It's obvious that his choke during the pitch knocked his confidence quite a bit. Poor sod.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was poorly too and in the boardroom he didn't have his usual fire either. That could've been that he was resigned to going maybe, but he didn't attack like he usually does and when he did it seemed half hearted. He seemed close to tears last night.

Made me warm to him even more than last week. Bless him.

It's good to show a more vulnerable side sometimes
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looked ill to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I still think he is really good selling face to face one on one where he can engage with people on a personal level. but when it comes to pitching, that is a different story. It was clear he wes ill but in previous tasks he has also got his words wrongs when talking in public.

He is a good speaker but not a good public speaker.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I thought he was poorly too and in the boardroom he didn't have his usual fire either. That could've been that he was resigned to going maybe, but he didn't attack like he usually does and when he did it seemed half hearted. He seemed close to tears last night.

Yeah, I liked the honesty he showed in owning up to his pitching error. Daniel or James would have tried to blag their way out of it.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They also sweat because there's so much lighting in there for the filming. It always gets hot on a set, and if he was nervous anyway, it would have exacerbated the sweating.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    BMLisa wrote: »

Yeah have to agree he seemed very quiet from the get go in last nights episode. I can't say I'm a fan of his at all, but you'd be hard pushed not to feel for him last night during the pitch - at one point, when the music ominously swelled I genuinely thought he was going to collapse.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark was like a high performance car that had been filled up with diesel, instead of unleaded.

He left the forecourt, purring away, fully expecting to be at his best- got a few yards down the road- then spluttered to a halt.

Meanwhile, the Reliant Robin called Daniel, continues to survive.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't feel for him in the slightest. He needed bringing down a peg or two. Maybe a little humility will improve his character.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I liked the honesty he showed in owning up to his pitching error. Daniel or James would have tried to blag their way out of it.
    Same here. Whilst he may have been a slimeball at times his honesty and willingness to admit he made a mess of it was good to see.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did seem ill. Paler than usual and profusely sweating. However did anyone notice in the clip for next weeks boardroom he seemed to be sweating just the same?

i like the petrol/diesel analogy above! If this were the x factror page people would be saying it was all an act in order to make Sugar and the public see he's only human after all and add an endearing quality lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Mark lost it at the pitch and started coughing I thought he genuinely had one of those catches in his throat that you get when you're starting a cold or flu. He didn't look at all well in the boardroom and when he got up to leave I thought his jacket would be wet with the sweating. I felt sorry for him.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last two boardrooms were filmed in the summer heatwave. There was a problem with the aircon, that's why EVERYONE is sweating, even Lord Sugar.

It has nothing to do with nerves, or being ill. :p
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I had turned it over to 'Lee Evans: Live at the Apollo' at one point.
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweating and nervous coughing are symptoms of anxiety. He was clearly panicking during the pitch, stumbling over his words. When that happens and you panic the reaction is to clear your throat or cough. I have experienced it a few times and it's horrific, I felt awful for him. I felt the You're Fired comments afterwards were very unsympathetic and crass, people clearly don't understand how badly public speaking can affect some people.
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    The last two boardrooms were filmed in the summer heatwave. There was a problem with the aircon, that's why EVERYONE is sweating, even Lord Sugar.

It has nothing to do with nerves, or being ill. :p

There was a heatwave this summer? Damn, I need to get out of the North!

This episode was filmed in early June, and I don't recall it being especially hot then. Maybe under the studio lights? How do you know the aircon was faulty- do you know someone who works on the show?
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't feel sorry for him in the slightest, all that arrogant bullshit about you don't leave prize pony in the stable, then for him to choke like Devon Loch was ****ing delicious :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like the petrol/diesel analogy above! If this were the x factror page people would be saying it was all an act in order to make Sugar and the public see he's only human after all and add an endearing quality lol.

You'd have to be a good actor to contrive rivulets of sweat pouring down your face.

He has always seemed a walking ego, so it was interesting to see him losing his nerve so badly. It did make him more human, as people have said.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Yes he was very honest but I have seen that in him before. He goes for the jugular with others but does admit his own errors, it's just they don't happen that often ;-) He also fessed up to choosing the gingham :D
    He did seem ill. Paler than usual and profusely sweating. However did anyone notice in the clip for next weeks boardroom he seemed to be sweating just the same?

Plenty have said it was only an act. Maybe they are X Factor posters on here because that is now over :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People seem to have picked up on his sweating in the boardroom just after the last episode.
    But it isn't the first time as I've noticed him sweating in the boardroom once or twice before.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he was very honest but I have seen that in him before. He goes for the jugular with others but does admit his own errors, it's just they don't happen that often ;-) He also fessed up to choosing the gingham :DD
    I'd noticed that too. He strikes me as the type of person who is hard on others but even harder on himself - many driven, goal-oriented people are similar.

And, in fairness, his comment in the discount buying task about Daniel having been a fantastic PM was spontaneous and didn't strike me as something that was for the cameras. I suspect he gives praise where he thinks it's due too - it's just that we never see that from him (or indeed any of the others) very often because it doesn't really add to the narrative. In that case, though, it served a purpose of teeing up him and Katie turning on Daniel and Felipe in the boardroom, as well as continuing the "Daniel's turned himself around" narrative that supports him getting to the final five.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not a fan of his as such but Mark's been portrayed as the series's pantomime villain but most of what he has done hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some have made out, and there's been a degree of selective memory in forgetting that he has actually performed well almost every week.
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I felt sorry for Mark tbh. I really felt like he was ill!