Options

This forum has gone down the pan

Comments

• Options
    OuchthathurtOuchthathurt Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote:
    I think the "this is a disscusion forum" argument is nearly always correct.

If someone posts something on a discussion forum then they should expect to have their opinions discussed by others. And guess what? Some of them won't agree.

Seriously I do feel there is a real danger of this place turning into a bland posting board for fans of certain 'slebs' to just post about how great they are and not expect any difference of opinion in return.

Take Jodie Marsh discussions for example. Never do people who don't like Jodie Marsh complain that they're being ganged up on when people who do like the woman post opposite points of view but when people post something different to "I <3 Jodie" then they are accused of bullying and ganging up.

Personally I like to test out arguments. Which means sometimes I will play devil's advocate on a lot of issues. I dont see this as "stiring" and causing trouble but I DO is it as providing debate and discussion and in turn allows people to test their arguments to the full.

What I hate is the "you dont agree with me so I'm going to post a few angry emots and then post a leaving message and use you as a reason for leaving" brigade.

Sorry but the old saying is true. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen and if you have a weak conviction in what you say then for crying out loud stay out of a DISCUSSION messageboard.

I dont mind being challenged on anything I say, 95% of posters here I know don't. The only real problem causers are people who see someone not agreeing with them and they click the little "Alert" button or they run off somewhere and moan about it.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I will also sometimes argue against myself in an effort to test the water before I plunge. I don't mind a challenge and I don't hold grudges. I have had 'intense discussions' ;) with a few people who probably now spot me and sail in to burst my bubble, what they often don't realise is that while they may have taken umbrage and hate me, I don't hate them. I don't take anything said on these forums personally.

Another aspect that I thought of the train this morning is the fact that the celebrities don't help themselves as far as the public are concerned. For many of the slebs that have got to the dizzy heights of slebdom by dint of stripping off, or living vicariously through the efforts and talent of others, their fame is greedily accepted and hung onto. They appear to consider themselves to be fireproof from the censure of the public who, arguably, put them there. Therefore they do extraordinary and sometimes absolutely dumbass things and expect everyone to just accept it without comment because...well...after all they are celebrities.

Which of us who are not famous would expect to get away with say...a gay orgy...when we have loudly asserted that we are not and never have been gay? Which of us would expect to get away with handing our children over to nannies when we have asserted loudly that we are a devoted mother or father? Likewise which of us which expect to get away with lying to our friends, family and acquaintances about whether we've had bodily enhancements done?

I don't know about the rest of you, but the folk around me wouldn't let me get away with any of that if they knew there was a chance that any of it might be true. I would be ribbed mercilessly until I came clean albeit with my best interests at heart. So why, oh why do these celebs insist on doing the most extraordinary things and then lying through their porcelain veneers about it and then feign shock when the media or the public themselves take them to task for it?

Put yourself in the firing line and someone is going to take a pot shot at you for sure.

We're supposed to excuse these people because of their fame. It's expected of the public to smile benignly at their latest exploits because...well...they're pretty, sexy, beautiful, talented, rich and therefore we should be adoring them because they have what we, apparently and according to many on these forums, are gasping for. Because many of us don't feel this way, we are then accused of attacking people when we say our piece or we're all just 'jealous'.

I'm not saying that there aren't those amongst the public who admire these slebs because they've clawed their way to the top, but equally they need to understand that many of us don't feel that way.

I've heard much about the maxim "If you hate them so much why bother yourself about them. Why discuss them?" And the straight answer, yet again and ad nauseam is "because this is a discussion forum about them and because we get fed up with their antics we need to have somewhere where we can come to get a handle on the whole thing."

I don't expect anyone else to agree with anything I say, I just speak as I find.
  • Options
    macsgirlmacsgirl Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad1 - I think that kind of thing happens because some FM's who've joined lately come on the forum purely with the intention of stirring up trouble after they've only made a few posts. I wonder if from their attitudes and way of not sounding 'new' they're perhaps previous FM's who've been banned and rejoined. If so, I'm not surprised they were banned in the first place!

After their attempts to disrupt the forum, argue with FM's who have a differing opinion and being downright nasty, they then go offline, because they can't face questioning.
    I've sent these type of FM's private messages, but as they're cowards, they need an audience on the board, and never reply. These are the type of people who say "I'll say what I like on the board - I'm not going to PM anyone!" and that just disrupts the thread of conversation.
    Like Ouch, I've had discussions with these people, and I don't hate them either, I just feel sorry that they feel they have to come on here and disrupt what on the whole was a pretty good discussion forum.

Unfortunately, these people seem to live a charmed life and never get banned! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    Can we all now be friends :D

And bring back all the good posters! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dw23 wrote:

I think that trying at least to understand where someone else is coming from, less kneejerk reactions and some compromise might go far towards the friendship angle. However, I think you might be asking for too much with regard to bringing back the good posters.

Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for either. All I can do is moderate my own behaviour, but this doesn't mean that I wouldn't be prepared to stand and defend my corner if necessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100% with what you are saying. I will also sometimes argue against myself in an effort to test the water before I plunge. I don't mind a challenge and I don't hold grudges.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the folk around me wouldn't let me get away with any of that if they knew there was a chance that any of it might be true. I would be ribbed mercilessly until I came clean albeit with my best interests at heart. So why, oh why do these celebs insist on doing the most extraordinary things and then lying through their porcelain veneers about it and then feign shock when the media or the public themselves take them to task for it?

I've heard much about the maxim "If you hate them so much why bother yourself about them. Why discuss them?" And the straight answer, yet again and ad nauseam is "because this is a discussion forum about them and because we get fed up with their antics we need to have somewhere where we can come to get a handle on the whole thing."

I don't expect anyone else to agree with anything I say, I just speak as I find.

Ouch, you come out with some classics. Porcelain veneers, love it. Seriously, I'm relatively new to DS and maybe I've missed the Golden Age of Discussion, but as long as there are people like you sparkling up the place, I refuse to believe all the best satirical wits don't come here any more. And that's not just lip service!!! Come on fellas, let's not be so down on the place. It's not that bad. It's still a great place to learn a few new words, have a giggle, save some pennies on sleb mags, etc. And we can still all enjoy a good ribbing, oo-er.

:-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch, you come out with some classics. Porcelain veneers, love it. Seriously, I'm relatively new to DS and maybe I've missed the Golden Age of Discussion, but as long as there are people like you sparkling up the place, I refuse to believe all the best satirical wits don't come here any more. And that's not just lip service!!! Come on fellas, let's not be so down on the place. It's not that bad. It's still a great place to learn a few new words, have a giggle, save some pennies on sleb mags, etc. And we can still all enjoy a good ribbing, oo-er.

I think that was a huge compliment and I thankee kindly Ma'am! :D I do my best to keep discussions going whether positive or negative and I have my moments of irony!

:D
  • Options
    bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dw23 wrote:

I remember the days when dw23 was a regular poster :(. I hope those days are back :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seconded :) though some of her posts are rather long :o

:D:D:D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well from a personal perspective.... I (oh wait cant discuss bans)...er I mean a friend was banned from um...ANOTHER forum (yes that'll work) ..another forum with a dedicated DOND thread. Ahem!

Now what he does is he isnt supportive of the players on there like everyone else is. All the "Wooo Caroline, £14,000 I'm so pleased for her" messages are fine but its a little fun to not go along with the majority just to keep himself entertained and to make things different. I dont see why this should not be allowed. If someone is fat, ugly, has yellow teeth, big nose or whatever then whats wrong with saying it?

It's perfectly acceptable to call Fern Briton fat and thats fine, she clearly is. But why when someone is on a game show does it suddenly break the rules to make equally accurate remarks about them? Not that I'm condoning saying horrible stuff like that about anyone is grown up or clever but as long as your tongues in your cheek I dont see whats wrong with having a giggle about the bloke with the big nose on DOND or the woman with the fat arse on Trisha.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...oh and something else.

Threads that turn into nothing in particular should be closed. Oooh I'm tough today.

I mean things like the "Say Hello" thread in the BB section or the one about Justin in Hollyoakes under the soap section. Both just turn into discussions like

A: Hello, took the kids to school this morning.

B: Hello to you too :) mine are sick today so I get to watch all of GMTV

A: You're lucky, I've got my mum coming over today too so cant spend too long online.

B: LOL oh no poor you.

C: Morning everybody!

.....and nothing has anything to do with anything. Just a personal gripe. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote:
    ...oh and something else.

Threads that turn into nothing in particular should be closed. Oooh I'm tough today.

I mean things like the "Say Hello" thread in the BB section or the one about Justin in Hollyoakes under the soap section. Both just turn into discussions like

A: Hello, took the kids to school this morning.

B: Hello to you too :) mine are sick today so I get to watch all of GMTV

A: You're lucky, I've got my mum coming over today too so cant spend too long online.

B: LOL oh no poor you.

C: Morning everybody!

.....and nothing has anything to do with anything. Just a personal gripe. ;)

God I have looked in on the Say Hello thread a few times and quickly backed out, it's like walking into a strangers living room! :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    Seconded :) though some of her posts are rather long :o

:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D

Aaaaargh BJ! You know that long posts are my TM! :p I can't help it if I suffer from verbal diarrhoea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aaaaargh BJ! You know that long posts are my TM! :p I can't help it if I suffer from verbal diarrhoea.

Ouch please can you shed some "law" light on a matter please (10 things you admire thread) :D
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes Im afarid you have missed the golden age :( I feel sorry for new posters who have missed out on all the great discussions we've had in the past. People always had differing opinions to each other, its just that everyone accepted it and got on. Now it seems you have these posters who can't handle people having a different point of view to their own and either press the alert button or resort to petty and childish insults.

I was looking through the "Unusual Crushes" thread the other day and felt sad seeing posts from those who are not with us anymore. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hitchins wrote:
    Ouch please can you shed some "law" light on a matter please (10 things you admire thread) :D

I will. But it might have to wait till I get home. I am not at my home computer atm.

;):D
  • Options
    bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't help it if I suffer from verbal diarrhoea.

I like your posts

I'd prefer to read a substantial long interesting post from one individual, than hundreds of jelous/ innit /well fit posts on a thread.

I'll take your style of posting over the other style any time Ouch :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    I remember the days when dw23 was a regular poster :(. I hope those days are back :)

It just doesnt seem the same anymore :(

We (meaning you, me and a lot of the no longer here members) used to have some good banter and I enjoyed it. Sadly that all seems to have gone now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acerspades wrote:

The forum has dipped recently, and I'm sure some of us miss the banned posters, but we havee the capacity to make things much better - we are able to manage that!

I think we would be better not rising to the bait of the crappy threads, but instead only posting on threads where decent conversation is going on! Don't be goaded by the 'To all the Jodie haters...' type of threads - it's designed to wind us up!

Let's just stick to the threads where we know we can have a decent conversation and build this forum's reputation back up to one where wit, intelligent argument and good fun can happen! :cool:

Acerspades!

Very well said, the cbb boards this year got swamped by inane and sometimes histrionic mutterings from 'people' about their favourite topic, with a new thread every half hour it felt like, in between their several bannings-and which I feel the mods were correct in giving in that example. No doubt they'll be back with yet another new id and eleven squillion threads about their latest obsession next time round. I wouldn't mind, but with it being such a fast paced forum, those threads constantly knock the decent threads off page one, and upset a lot of people on the thread as well, not to mention that they went out of their way to spin the threads and make it look like it was the fault of other posters when they got 'upset',and trying to turn others on the thread against them by accusing them of being horrible. It got to the stage where Chantelle/Preston threads had to be avoided like the plague.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    This is the bit that really annoys me and is quite prevalent in the BB forum of late :mad:. These 'trolls' wind other posters up and then these wound up posters get banned while the 'trolls' remain :mad:

Completely agree with you b-j, and it happened on the showbiz forum with the 'x factor contestant who shall remain nameless because I refuse to give them any more publicity' threads as well. We lost a few really good posters because of those threads started by the person concerned, and their sycophants :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    hitchins wrote:
    God I have looked in on the Say Hello thread a few times and quickly backed out, it's like walking into a strangers living room! :eek: :eek:

I know, I'm really new, i joined to comment on the kase saga, but i've been a 'lurker' for years! I nipped in to the say hello thread hoping to introduce myself, but felt exactly like that!! :o
  • Options
    ShelfieShelfie Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys, it's not the subject of the threads that's the problem, it's the quality of comments made. Discussing someone like Jodie Marsh or Jordan is par for the course. Whether we like it or not, they are part of the zeleb culture. They are going to have both detractors and supporters on a forum like this.

However, over the past couple of months a number of people have come in from elsewhere in the site or perhaps just joined for the hell of it (as did we all) and have made vociferous comments about how 'nasty' everyone is on here. Complaints have been made and the result was that these people have succeeded in turning this showbiz forum - a place where before could be a funny, witty, sharp, ascerbic and fascinating - into a whingeing fansite where fans of the aforesaid zelebs want to come to praise the zeleb of their choice rather than to discuss their foibles and eccentricities.

The foibles and eccentricities which, if we are being totally honest with each other, are the things that got them their zelebrity status in the first place.

Now instead of witty and sometimes contentious discussions, we have folk starting threads about the Jodie Marsh Haters asking the incredible question of why can't we all just like her and if we don't then don't post about her.

Hellooo people...I hate to burst your bubble, but this is a showbiz discussion forum. To discuss or debate something means that you will have pros and cons otherwise it can't be termed a discussion. If we all just posted in threads about people we liked or admired, the site would do just what it is doing now - denigrating into a fan website for any zeleb, real or - dare I say it - 'upcoming'!

Most of the decent witty posters have gone. We have been left with a few who still kick in every now and again only to have their threads locked and the people who just want us to 'love' everyone because they are famous can't understand why some of us don't think these zelebs are actually worth the skin they're wrapped in. Poor little dears. Let's spread the lurve people!!! Say it after me, even if it splits your tongue in half...We Lurve Jodie Marsh, Jordan, Victoria Beckham.

And once more with feeling! WE LURVE JODIE..... ahh, screw it, sorry, I just can't do it... :p :rolleyes:

Yes it has gone down. People are tired of trying to drag it above the "Jordan/Jodie/Sticktoria is kewl" level that it's sunk to over the past few months.

Ahhh, hit the nail right on the head! "Quality of posts", they're too personal and repetitive. One poster says I hate celeb. "X" because... the next posters agrees, and for the same reason, ad infinitum.

Also "discussion", another good point, where is it? One person hates celeb. "Y" another person likes said celeb., apparently thats not allowed, because the thread was for celeb. "Y" haters. Therefore, the fan of the aforementioned must be a stalker/complete geek.

You don't like a certain celeb.? Fine, but if I do, I'm going to reply on your thread and defend the "Personality" in question. Thats called "Discussion", isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we know what the issues are, can we all now change our ways and move on please ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A healthy discussion never hurt anyone or anything. So far people have put forward their views and feelings without getting personal and hostile towards each other. Somehow I think this thread needed to be here.

It could end here I suppose, but then there are lots of people who don't regularly post for whatever reason and perhaps they haven't been on in the past few days. Perhaps they would like to put forward their feelings.

I'm not so unrealistic as to believe that we will all go away now and be bestest friends or that the arguments won't still happen. The root of the problem still remains and that's possibly because we are all human, delightfully unique and we come from diverse backgrounds, education and upbringing.

Every single one of these factors plays a part when we interact with others. If we're the kind of person who is used to having our own way and others listening meekly we will expect the same on a forum like this. If we're a quiet gentle person who has never been encourage to speak their piece we will lurk or creep around. If we've been brought up to believe, as so many youngsters are these days, that fame, celebrity and money are of paramount importance in a career choice, then we're going admire the likes of the Jordan's VB's etc of this world (who seem to have apparently clawed their niche in the game vicariously or by pandering to the increasing decadence of current society and are hanging onto it just with sheer determination long after their time is done) then we will post our defences to that way of life. But that's because the criteria for being a role model have altered beyond all recognition in the past few decades.

Whatever the reasons for the diverse opinions on celebrities, instead of fighting amongst ourselves because someone has dared to disagree, we should be rejoicing in the differences that bring us together to have discussions and treat the forum for exactly what it is - a place of public meeting or assembly for open discussion. This should mean that all points for discussion, as long as they aren't just bland statements, should be allowed to thrive.

Just my thoughts. Again, nobody has to agree with them.

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A healthy discussion never hurt anyone or anything. So far people have put forward their views and feelings without getting personal and hostile towards each other. Somehow I think this thread needed to be here.

It could end here I suppose, but then there are lots of people who don't regularly post for whatever reason and perhaps they haven't been on in the past few days. Perhaps they would like to put forward their feelings.

I'm not so unrealistic as to believe that we will all go away now and be bestest friends or that the arguments won't still happen. The root of the problem still remains and that's possibly because we are all human, delightfully unique and we come from diverse backgrounds, education and upbringing.

Every single one of these factors plays a part when we interact with others. If we're the kind of person who is used to having our own way and others listening meekly we will expect the same on a forum like this. If we're a quiet gentle person who has never been encourage to speak their piece we will lurk or creep around. If we've been brought up to believe, as so many youngsters are these days, that fame, celebrity and money are of paramount importance in a career choice, then we're going admire the likes of the Jordan's VB's etc of this world (who seem to have apparently clawed their niche in the game vicariously or by pandering to the increasing decadence of current society and are hanging onto it just with sheer determination long after their time is done) then we will post our defences to that way of life. But that's because the criteria for being a role model have altered beyond all recognition in the past few decades.

Whatever the reasons for the diverse opinions on celebrities, instead of fighting amongst ourselves because someone has dared to disagree, we should be rejoicing in the differences that bring us together to have discussions and treat the forum for exactly what it is - a place of public meeting or assembly for open discussion. This should mean that all points for discussion, as long as they aren't just bland statements, should be allowed to thrive.

Just my thoughts. Again, nobody has to agree with them.

;)

I completely agree with you. A while back I was involved in a music thread and just because I made a statement that others disagreed with I was called (among other things) a village idiot. No debate just abuse. I hung in there however giving the reasons for my opinion and at one point myself and another poster got a bit of a debate going all good humoured, whereby each of us would go off, do a bit of fact finding and make further comments, but others kept intervening and telling the other poster to ignore me. It was almost like kids in the playground saying "don't play with that person because WE don't like them.

There was an old poster, Showbiz Gal? if that was her name, who was a brilliant poster very witty and although we didn't agree it was a pleasure to debate with her. Alas debate is all too rare nowadays its either everyone agreeing they hate X (which in the case of a certain celeb is quite understanding ;) ), but those who disagree are just saying if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Well, I would say to those posters why can't you debate the reason why X shouldn't be hated. Get some sort of discussion going and who knows you may win over a few people if they see the argument from a different pespective.

Anyway thats my two penneth worth. I will go back to lurking ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree with you b-j, and it happened on the showbiz forum with the 'x factor contestant who shall remain nameless because I refuse to give them any more publicity' threads as well. We lost a few really good posters because of those threads started by the person concerned, and their sycophants :(

Can you give me a clue who it is you are referring too? X factor contstants rarely make the crossover to showbiz as generally speaking no one is interested (despite leicesterblokes best efforts with carl pemberton!!!)
This discussion has been closed.