Options

Tonsillectomy at a hospital that doesn't seem to mention it anywhere...

scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
Forum Member
Hello all, just following on from my post abut general anaesthetics last week I am getting my tonsils out on Wednesday. I am a little concerned though because the hospital I am getting this done at doesn't seem to mention about tonsillectomies anywhere on their website. It probably sounds very silly but other nhs hospital websites seem to have things like detailed information of what to expect and what the day will involve at that hospital, but the one I am getting it done at doesn't even mention they do tonsillectomies!

I don't want to get it done by some amateur you see!

It probably sounds very silly but reassurance would be good! Haha thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Hospitals have websites? Seriously though, they wouldn't be doing it on you if they didn't have the skilled people there! Don't worry, it's really routine and they will have done hundreds before! So routine that it isn't serious enough for them even to mention!
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, you had a ton of advice regarding the procedure, aftercare, anaesthesia experience etc, in the previous thread, what you're asking now is just OTT.

Its one of the most routine procedures, as someone else mentioned, probably not meriting a section on the website, since you can go to the NHS site for info... And honestly, how much do you think it will differ between hospitals, if your talking NHS? It's hardly like YOUR hospital will employ trained baboons to remove your tonsils... You really need to chill out about it, and be thankful it's such a minor surgery!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    My god, you had a ton of advice regarding the procedure, aftercare, anaesthesia experience etc, in the previous thread, what you're asking now is just OTT.

Its one of the most routine procedures, as someone else mentioned, probably not meriting a section on the website, since you can go to the NHS site for info... And honestly, how much do you think it will differ between hospitals, if your talking NHS? It's hardly like YOUR hospital will employ trained baboons to remove your tonsils... You really need to chill out about it, and be thankful it's such a minor surgery!

Yes you are correct :blush:
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prob doesn't mention it as it's not a big deal operation. And as for getting an amateur, it's just the luck of the draw on the day. If they're busy they might rope one of the kitchen staff in as they're a bit handy with the old knives.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Do they mention that they do ingrowing toenails? Do they mention they fix boo boo's on little kids?
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Hello all, just following on from my post abut general anaesthetics last week I am getting my tonsils out on Wednesday. I am a little concerned though because the hospital I am getting this done at doesn't seem to mention about tonsillectomies anywhere on their website. It probably sounds very silly but other nhs hospital websites seem to have things like detailed information of what to expect and what the day will involve at that hospital, but the one I am getting it done at doesn't even mention they do tonsillectomies!

I don't want to get it done by some amateur you see!

It probably sounds very silly but reassurance would be good! Haha thanks :)

I think you have every right to be concerned, OP. I had tonsillitis eight times in two years, and the NHS still wouldn't remove my tonsils. It's just not standard procedure to remove tonsils on the NHS anymore, so I wonder if they've confused you with another patient with a similar name. You might wake up from the anaesthetic after having undergone a penectomy.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be glad they are removing said tonsils, I get tonsilitis at least every other year to the point where I can't swallow but still don't get offered the op
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I doubt very much that they mention every other type of surgery they do either - given that there are hundreds of different surgical procedures, to list all of them on a website would be virtually impossible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha oh you guys
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a little concerned though because the hospital I am getting this done at doesn't seem to mention about tonsillectomies anywhere on their website. It probably sounds very silly but other nhs hospital websites seem to have things like detailed information of what to expect and what the day will involve at that hospital, but the one I am getting it done at doesn't even mention they do tonsillectomies!

Do all the other hospitals mention tonsillectomies then?

That's surprising as it's such a common operation if they listed that they'd be listing hundreds more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I'm just being silly because I'm nervous. Apologies :(