Options

Eastenders Jumping the Shark tonight

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Kathy has had both sons think she was dead for 10 years. Then she just "walks out of the shower" back into the show.

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Kathy has had both sons think she was dead for 10 years. Then she just "walks out of the shower" back into the show.

Agreed. It was stupid enough with Den but at least there was an element of plausibility there.
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nah wait til they explain it first
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Stupid decision to grab ratings, now they ave to bring her back for good, if they dont it will look even more ridiculous. really cant believe that someone high up thought it was a good decision. they have ripped EE to shreds in doing so.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for the explanation first, but yes it is a bit ridiculous. People generally don't come back from the dead :D;-)
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Stupid decision to grab ratings, now they ave to bring her back for good, if they dont it will look even more ridiculous. really cant believe that someone high up thought it was a good decision. they have ripped EE to shreds in doing so.

What about Stacey returning after serving just a few months for Archie's murder. Plausibility was already well out the window before Kathy's return.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not new territory for EE. They brought back Dirty Den after all and he was proper dead in the canal. Ok we didn't see him actually die and no body was ever found but it was implied he was shot dead.

What I don't like is how random it's been.. no build up.. no indication of how Phil has even been in touch with her.. no hint of anything. So it feels like she's been forced into things. This whole week has felt very forced which is a shame.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it was more implausible with Den because they found his body and put an end to it.

Kathy never died on screen and she was buried before Ian even got there. So it did always open up the chance this could happen.
  • Options
    jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to wait for the explanation first as opposed to judging (I know that's not possible for some). A lot more plausible than Den though who we saw getting shot
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plausible explanations. I bet similar things have happened in real life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get a bit bored of people saying soaps have to be realistic and 'plausible', its just a bit of escapism, no?
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member

How was it to grab ratings when it was a secret? I reckon the cast didn't even know as it was shown live
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its always been on the cards. Kathy was killed off-screen in suspicious circumstances with an unknown character (her unseen husband's sister) identifying her body. The possibility of her actually being alive has always been there. Gillian Taylforth admitted in 2012 that every executive producer since Kate Harwood (the one who killed Kathy off out of spite because she delayed her planned return in 2006 due to filming footballers wives) has asked her to come back. DTC has just done what all the others tried and failed to do.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=2shy2007;77036920]Stupid decision to grab ratings, now they ave to bring her back for good, if they dont it will look even more ridiculous. really cant believe that someone high up thought it was a good decision. they have ripped EE to shreds in doing so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because no other soap ever does that, I knew you would say something like that, really surprised you still watch EE, you clearly don't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »
    How was it to grab ratings when it was a secret? I reckon the cast didn't even know as it was shown live

Of course its to grab ratings, wait for the 9.25 ratings, they will be massive.they have made a rod for their own back, she now has to come back full time and explain why she walked away from her family.
  • Options
    red_amberred_amber Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think EE got the idea from 'Scandal'.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They bought Dirty Den back so they can do this. She is worth jumping the shark for. We can't bring Pat back and Cindy is harder to explain as she died in childbirth. Kathy died in South Africa, by the time Ian would have got there for the funeral maybe he would not have seen her body, or maybe she had been buried etc.

The show needs a strong woman, Ian has lost his daughter and likely his wife again - they needed to balance that.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It hasn't jumped the shark!

If we took that attitude, EE jumped the shark when Kirkwood wrote the baby swap storyline. In fact, his entire stint on the show.

Most off screen deaths on soaps, particularly of major characters, always have the door open.

Kate Harwood might have intended it to be for real, but she didn't bank on the fact that nothing was ever shown on TV. If that's the case it has allowed Dom to retcon.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous. Very silly indeed.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's see how it develops first before bashing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Hardly jumping the shark. For that to happen there would have to be no plausible explanation. Obviously there is in this case. Not to mention she was 'killed' off screen and ian never saw her body because apparently she already got buried so there was set up for her to return. I really do believe that DTC has thought this out really well and wouldn't have risked bringing her back without a very good explanation as to why.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Kathy's death never made much sense. She dies off screen so there's always been the possibility that she could return. The time lapse makes it a bit more difficult but it's worth it to have Kathy back!
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    :D Exactly.

Viewers said they would forgive EastEnders for bringing her back. Kathy was one character that should never have been killed off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    Yeah, because no other soap ever does that, I knew you would say something like that, really surprised you still watch EE, you clearly don't like it.

I will say the same to you, I have had enough with people following me round saying the same thing over and over again, ; dont like it, dont watch it' I will say what I like , negative or positive,feel free to ignore me, but I am sick to the back teeth with a very small minority on here, following me about making these comment.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Indeed.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    I will say the same to you, I have had enough with people following me round saying the same thing over and over again, ; dont like it, dont watch it' I will say what I like , negative or positive,feel free to ignore me, but I am sick to the back teeth with a very small minority on here, following me about making these comment.

And I am sick of seeing the same few slating EE in every thread, when they clearly don't like it, yet carry on watching it, and running quick on the EE thread to slate it.