Options

forgotten american sitcoms on channel 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
Forum Member
✭✭
who remembers Nurses
they also had a sitcom on at 5pm every Monday about a mother in law who hated her daughters in law and vice versa
what was it called, it had one of the aunts on sabrina the teenage witch in

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Julie in Nurses had the loveliest smile.

'Marblehead Manor' was shockingly bad, and ran for one season.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Ye, I remember Nurses very well. I think only one series got shown on Channel 4.

Does anyone remember "Caroline and the City", which I think only got two of its seasons shown on Channel 4?
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spin City and My Two Dads are a couple that spring to mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like Nurses and I absolutely LOVED Caroline in the City (how could I have forgotten about that? :eek:)

I also used to like watching...I think it was called...Evening Shade :confused: with Burt Reynolds and also Blossom with the girl in it who played a young Bette Midler in Beaches.

Oh and I also liked the sitcom which I think was called something like Phenom (sorry, I'm useless with remembering names of programmes) which was about a tennis protege and her divorced mother used to flirt a lot with William Devane from Knots Landing who played her tennis coach :D
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the one about a bloke fantasising that he was acting out scenes from the movies. Had lots of bare flesh and shagging in it, IIIRC.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    ...they also had a sitcom on at 5pm every Monday about a mother in law who hated her daughters in law and vice versa
    what was it called, it had one of the aunts on sabrina the teenage witch in

The 5 Mrs Buchanans. It aired in the US during the 1994-95 season, for 17 episodes. All 17 episodes can be watched on YouTube, with each episode being divided into three parts.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    What was the one about a bloke fantasising that he was acting out scenes from the movies. Had lots of bare flesh and shagging in it, IIIRC.
    Dream on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Spin City and My Two Dads are a couple that spring to mind.

hardly forgotten though. Well, the first one certainly isn't. The one where Michael J. Fox left made me cry like a baby.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Home Improvement (my favourite!), Boy Meets World, Roseanne, Blossom, My Two Dads, Phenom, Eerie Indiana and of course Friends. I'm sure i've missed out a couple others but the ones i've mentioned were in the 6pm-7pm slot right before the Channel 4 news. That's all i can remember so from back in the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    WKRP in Cininatti.... loved it no idea why.. Aww forgot about Evening Shade
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deservedly forgotten: Running The Halls (Victor Lewis-Smith tore this to pieces, he did).

Undeservedly forgotten: Newhart (brilliant MTM sitcom which, like Family Ties, Channel 4 never got to the end of).
  • Options
    sculptorsculptor Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Alice

70s Sitcom set in Mel's Diner with Flo "Kiss my grits'.
    Shown late afternoons in the early/mid 80s.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King of the Hill, almost never mentioned now.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Nurses. IIRC it got two seasons on C4. I loved Julie, the 'Nurses' equivalent of Rose from the Golden Girls, and thought it was funny despite being awfully contrived when the two characters were actually thrown together in one episode.

I also loved Dream On - because it was soooooooooooooooo naughty to a 12-year old, but it was actually very clever and funny. The secretary to Martin (think that was his name) was so fabulously abrasive and straight-talking, made funnier by her diminutive stature and voice.
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone remember Best of the West or Head of the Class?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    Can anyone remember Best of the West or Head of the Class?

Head Of The Class featured a pre-Mike Tyson Robin Givens and Billy Connolly starred in later episodes.

Best Of The West was a comedy western. The only bits I can remember is the townsfolk trying to sing 'Rock Of Ages' and just singing that over and over as they didn't know the actual words, and an episode where they were trying to get the railroad to come near their town. For some reason this involved a scene where they pretended and upturned chair was the front of a train and congo-ed round the saloon.

Both were on BBC 1 and not Channel 4.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a sitcom on channel four called E. R. Does anyone else remember? It starred Elliot Gould.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I used to like Nurses and I absolutely LOVED Caroline in the City (how could I have forgotten about that? :eek:)

I also used to like watching...I think it was called...Evening Shade :confused: with Burt Reynolds and also Blossom with the girl in it who played a young Bette Midler in Beaches.

Oh and I also liked the sitcom which I think was called something like Phenom (sorry, I'm useless with remembering names of programmes) which was about a tennis protege and her divorced mother used to flirt a lot with William Devane from Knots Landing who played her tennis coach :D

I loved Phenom, with Coach Lou, and the younger sister who was really sarcastic and the older brother who was a depressive. It was one of better sitcoms in that slot and yet seemed to disappear without a trace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember a sitcom on channel four called E. R. Does anyone else remember? It starred Elliot Gould.

Also starred Berta out of Two & A Half Men. In one ep, her husband wrote her a Coutry & Western love song called 'Love Handles' (sample lyric 'Skinny gilrs can't hold a candle, to my love hnadles'.

And good mention for 'Newhart' further up the thread. That was an axcellent show. 'I'm Larry. This is my brother Daryl and this is my other brother Daryl.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Norm Show, they use to show it at 2am :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 guys a girl and pizza place is one of my fav shows. It used to come on Trouble all the time and i loved it. If you remember Ryan Reynolds was on it.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, C4 have shown some pretty great comedies over the years. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LucyKay18 wrote: »
    2 guys a girl and pizza place is one of my fav shows. It used to come on Trouble all the time and i loved it. If you remember Ryan Reynolds was on it.

Now being re-shown on Fiver. Channel 176 on Sky. It's on every tea time.

I love Gillian Bach as Irene. She's hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the one were 2 families move in together,it starred Patrick duffy and the opening titles were set in a rollercoaster park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OLIVEBUS wrote: »
    What was the one were 2 families move in together,it starred Patrick duffy and the opening titles were set in a rollercoaster park.

'Step By Step', usually showed on ITV in the 9.30 am slot, IIRC.

It also starred the daughter out of 'My Two Dads.'

And, yes, I have wasted my life.