Options

Is bedtime reading to your children "smug middle-class"

RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....or just plain good parenting irrespective of background ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think middle-class people tend to keep it on for longer but I wouldn't say it's typical middle-class.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading to your children in bed or visiting the church at Christmas seems like a thing that is often portrayed in US movies but I doubt it is all that common.
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    Surely its just a totally normal thing to do? My parents always read us bedtime stories and I've always read them to my two. Even though the oldest is 8 he still wants us to read him a chapter of his book before he goes to his room and reads some more to himself.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people honestly think that reading your children a bedtime story isn't absolutely crucial for all children, it's no wonder we have such a literacy problem in this country.

What's it got to do with class FFS? It's all about teaching your kids to enjoy books.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    If people honestly think that reading your children a bedtime story isn't absolutely crucial for all children, it's no wonder we have such a literacy problem in this country.

What's it got to do with class FFS? It's all about teaching your kids to enjoy books.

Agreed. Good grief, how depressing.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught up on all the children's literature I missed as a child by reading to my son at bedtime. Loved every minute of it. (I'm not middle class.)
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    It certainly isn't 'smug'. (not quite sure why you used that word?)

It probably is done more by middle class people although there's no reason why it should be. It does not require any money. Just a small amount of time each evening and access to a public library. Its a nice thing that any parent could do if they wanted to.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely thing to do, nothing smug or middle class about it at all.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    My one reads his own now. He must be a snob.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member

I suppose the stupid thread title is balanced a bit by the more reasonable text quoted above.

But I do think it's a no-brainer that reading to your children is plain good parenting irrespective of background. And feel it odd that you even thought you needed to ask the question.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I find it boring, we do read together but not at bedtime.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The upper class get the butler to do it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Bedtime reading is great. I had huge fun reading to my daughter from a very early age (I did the voices and everything) and I'm sure it's been instrumental in increasing her literary skills beyond the average for her age.

It's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with class but I daresay some DS class warrior will be along at some point to say otherwise.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

Indeed. Nothing smug about it. Seldom did I get a story read at bedtime, but that was because most of the good stories were recited on TV or at school. :D

While at primary school, my parents preferred if I read a story or two from a quality newspaper or magazine each week, for comprehension and reading purposes. Learnt new vocab, became aware of news and began to formulate opinions. Parfait. :)
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, only the middle class can afford to buy books and the government are shutting all the libraries to keep the lower orders illiterate so they can get away with stealing from the working man.
    Will that do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's irrespective of background. Reading is for everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's irrespective of background. Reading is for everyone.

Newbury is just for local people though.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am definitely not middle class and I read to my children at bedtime until they were old enough and wanted to read by themselves. They are older teenagers now but still have books from their childhood and mine that they will probably read to their kids. it was just a lovely way to end the day :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smug middle-class definitely. I always make a point of swearing at my children at bed time, drinking cheap beer, smoking rollups and wearing a stained string vest.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever thing you do as a parent, there will always be someone who finds fault with it, you can't win.

Doesn't every child of school age bring home a reading book each day? Don't they go to the library at school and get a book each week? Or go to the public library? Money/income is no excuse at all when there are free options available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newbury is just for local people though.

Sorry, have I missed somerthing about Newbury?
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I suppose the stupid thread title is balanced a bit by the more reasonable text quoted above.

But I do think it's a no-brainer that reading to your children is plain good parenting irrespective of background. And feel it odd that you even thought you needed to ask the question.

To clarify The "smug middle class" quote is from a guy on the radio..It is most certainly not my opinion .I'm merely stimulating debate :)
  • Options
    Kitty-Kat_MEOW.Kitty-Kat_MEOW. Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I think shared reading is one of the loveliest parts of parenting.

It doesn't belong to a class
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's only Middle Class when the babysitter is the one doing the bedtime reading whilst Mama and Papa are at the nearby Tapas bar.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I think it's only Middle Class when the babysitter is the one doing the bedtime reading whilst Mama and Papa are at the nearby Tapas bar.

The key thing is to actually have a babysitter because we all know how that ended...