Options

Reporting former employer for software piracy - bad idea?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
Forum Member
I was dismissed from a company around 3 years ago as the company was having financial difficulties and did not pay my wages for three months. The boss one day (Friday) took me into his office and told me that as of tonight the company will cease trading. He then dumped a 40 page legal document on me that he insisted I signed immediatley as it was around 30 mins before close of business.

I stated that I needed to read it first but he wanted it signing there and then. To put a long story short I was pressured into signing. The company agreed to pay me two months wages of the three months owed.

The following week I noticed the business was still trading. When I called in I was told by my ex boss "you signed the document so you are released from your employment contract" then he went to answer the phone. I waited and then I pointed out that he said he was bust as of last week but yet still trading he became irritated and would not answer my question. I pressed further and asked about the money he still owed me but my former boss became violent and physically removed me from the building.

I went to see a solicitor who went through the document with me and to cut a long story short said that I should be entitled to redundancy pay and one month's wages. The document that I signed waived this however but it was buried away in pages and pages of legal guff and terms and conditions. The solicitor said I could argue the case it was signed under protest and my signature is therefore invalid.

The legal costs to take this to court etc would almost equal what I was owed in one months wage so I decided not to proceed. After seeing a program on the BBC this morning about debt recovery sheriffs I realized I could have taken my former employer to court for a fraction of the price. It's too late now to do anything about it.

I know that the company used and sold illegal software through various means and I could report them but it was a small business and my former employer would guess it was me. He knows some nasty people one of which who has been in prison before and released so I'm reluctant to report them.

The BSA offers a reward for shopping pirates and I thought it would be a way of getting back at my former employer (it WOULD make them go bust if fined) and my way of getting back some of the money owed.

As of today the company still trades under it's original name and was verified by companies house. I feel shafted by this guy and I was wondering if this is a good idea or not.

One former employee still works there and I don't want to see him loose his job as he is a decent guy - another dilemma.

I will delete this topic after a couple of weeks to be sure it is not read by former employees.

Comments

• Options
    rickrickrickyrickrickricky Posts: 431
    Forum Member

I will delete this topic after a couple of weeks to be sure it is not read by former employees.

No you won't, because you can't remove posts/threads, only the mods can.

As for the rest, you have survived for 3 years, let it go and move on. Holding grudges is never a good thing and can be injurious to your health.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I would just move on, life's too short to let something like this bother you for three years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were me I would report them, but I would have never signed the document in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guess you are both right but this guy is a thieving, lying, bastard & rip off merchant. He has done so much more that I don't want to mention. He's a ****.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, as others said, let it go and move on, life is too short (could get shorter if you wind the guy up :p). It might be consuming you a bit but there are better things to do, just lay it to rest out of your mind and carry on with life, it's not worth the aggro.

If you must though, I guess you could bide your time like Mr Burns. More than one way to skin a rabbit.

P.S. I hope you're not using your real name and age as your username, lol.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Wait until the place shuts on a Friday, then put a parcel of rotten fish through the letterbox for them to find on a Monday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    All this legal cost and issues will just give you more stress, which will lead to depressions and bad health.

Sometimes you just have to let it go, spend time with the family and forget about it. Deep down you deserve it and worked hard for it that's the important thing it was clean money.
  • Options
    Proposition JoeProposition Joe Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Blackmail them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    If you can claim the wages after all that time then I would despite what the others above are saying.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I was dismissed from a company around 3 years ago as the company was having financial difficulties and did not pay my wages for three months. The boss one day (Friday) took me into his office and told me that as of tonight the company will cease trading. He then dumped a 40 page legal document on me that he insisted I signed immediatley as it was around 30 mins before close of business.

I stated that I needed to read it first but he wanted it signing there and then. To put a long story short I was pressured into signing. The company agreed to pay me two months wages of the three months owed.

The following week I noticed the business was still trading. When I called in I was told by my ex boss "you signed the document so you are released from your employment contract" then he went to answer the phone. I waited and then I pointed out that he said he was bust as of last week but yet still trading he became irritated and would not answer my question. I pressed further and asked about the money he still owed me but my former boss became violent and physically removed me from the building.

I went to see a solicitor who went through the document with me and to cut a long story short said that I should be entitled to redundancy pay and one month's wages. The document that I signed waived this however but it was buried away in pages and pages of legal guff and terms and conditions. The solicitor said I could argue the case it was signed under protest and my signature is therefore invalid.

The legal costs to take this to court etc would almost equal what I was owed in one months wage so I decided not to proceed. After seeing a program on the BBC this morning about debt recovery sheriffs I realized I could have taken my former employer to court for a fraction of the price. It's too late now to do anything about it.

I know that the company used and sold illegal software through various means and I could report them but it was a small business and my former employer would guess it was me. He knows some nasty people one of which who has been in prison before and released so I'm reluctant to report them.

The BSA offers a reward for shopping pirates and I thought it would be a way of getting back at my former employer (it WOULD make them go bust if fined) and my way of getting back some of the money owed.

As of today the company still trades under it's original name and was verified by companies house. I feel shafted by this guy and I was wondering if this is a good idea or not.

One former employee still works there and I don't want to see him loose his job as he is a decent guy - another dilemma.

...and now it's been quoted too. So even if you edit your OP it's still here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you can claim the wages after all that time then I would despite what the others above are saying.

It's too late - you only have three months to make such a claim.
    Lots of replies already - guess I should just leave it as it could lead to further aggro. Just that I have been working for another company that went bust since and have lost my job yet again. Unable to find anything and money is tight - this was just an idea that came up after watching TV this morning.

Guess I was being a bit too paranoid about it being seen; the topic will soon disappear to several pages down from page one after while.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Report them!
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Report them!

I agree not just because you are-quite rightly p*ssed off with them but because they are breaking the law.
    And if they do guess it was you and try and do anything well then you get the police involved
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Move on with your life and put it down as one of those experiences in life, dont let it eat you its not worth it.you have wasted 3 years of thinking how to get revenge on someone, Just forget about it most people get shafted at least once in there lives and sometimes more
  • Options
    rickrickrickyrickrickricky Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    OP please clarify :confused:
    One former employee still works there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP please clarify :confused:

Ah yes, the other guy I worked with still works there. He was also told he was to loose his job but it seems only me has actually left...
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, the other guy I worked with still works there. He was also told he was to loose his job but it seems only me has actually left...

But all of this was 3 years ago
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    It's too late - you only have three months to make such a claim.
    Lots of replies already - guess I should just leave it as it could lead to further aggro. Just that I have been working for another company that went bust since and have lost my job yet again. Unable to find anything and money is tight - this was just an idea that came up after watching TV this morning.

Guess I was being a bit too paranoid about it being seen; the topic will soon disappear to several pages down from page one after while.

That's a pity because you were sacked not made redundant.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He obviously didn't allow himself to be bullied into signing something he hadn't read. I'm sorry but if it was me I would move on and take this as a lesson learned - never be bullied into signing anything until you've looked it over properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He obviously didn't allow himself to be bullied into signing something he hadn't read. I'm sorry but if it was me I would move on and take this as a lesson learned - never be bullied into signing anything until you've looked it over properly.

Yes - it was partly my fault. Should have insisting on reading it as the issue is that nowhere in the document does it say the company is insolvent. I was only told that verbally.
    What they have done is as another poster put it, sacked me so they don't have to pay redundancies. I tell you, this guy is clever and knows how to worm his way out of any situation. Probably how he has got so far in life without any mishaps. Some people have no scruples.

The solicitor (at the time) did say I still have a case though but as it was 3 years ago there's now nothing I can do about it. This was just a spur of the moment idea that needs clarification from others before I do something stupid.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given its the BSA they'll probably do nothing anyway other than send them a letter and then give them 6 months to a year to sort it all out by which point they'll be smelling of roses
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would it be true to say you were happy to work for this company and be paid by them knowing that they were using illegal software?
    So why are you surprised they then shafted you.
    As my old mum said, "Fly with the crows, get shot with the crows".
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was just a spur of the moment idea that needs clarification from others before I do something stupid.

Fair play. :)

I've seen people shafted in similar ways before. You wouldn't be the first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Would it be true to say you were happy to work for this company and be paid by them knowing that they were using illegal software?
    So why are you surprised they then shafted you.
    As my old mum said, "Fly with the crows, get shot with the crows".

Yes, I wasn't surprised at all. Seemed OK for the first year or so then things became worse as the company cash flow began to decline. I started looking for work when I 'disagreed' with several of the director's bad business practices. My suggestions to improve the business were dismissed or not implemented. In the end my decision to leave the company was made for me. I wasn't out of work long before I found something else.

As for the software piracy I was under the assumption it was legit - I only found out when I was tasked with the replacement of a customer's server hard disk and re-install of the Operating System. Developer / internal use only version of O/S disk and found same licence used on multiple computers.

Not allowed to do that... naughty naughty. Especially if it was installed on other customer machines as well - 50% certain it was. Not allowed to use it for commercial purposes.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP even three years ago broadband was less ubiquitous. These days, software checks up itself about whether it is illegal and somebody would have to be rather expert to get away with it.

There are of course loads of crooks around. You were probably picked on because you are more honest than most, and they judged you were soft enough to be cheated.

Do not feel bad about that at all. Sometimes decent people get screwed, that is how it is, but you really would not want to be like that I am sure. Rest assured that many of them do get their comeuppance, not all of them, but many. Their personal lives are also not much cop, because they are not honest decent people. They will cheat and lie for a few hundred quid. Screw them, you have left them behind.