Really enjoying Hollyoaks at the minute

LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watch Hollyoaks, Corrie, and occasionally Eastenders, and I think the latter two at the moment are pretty dire. Corrie especially. Yet I'm gripped by Hollyoaks, I think it's been better than it has in years!

Anyone else agree?!

Comments

• EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have done about a year ago but now it's awful!

They've ruined most of the characters. Nancy used to be one of my favourites and now I can't stand her! Same with Frankie and Diane.

The Roscoe's are terrible and they all need to go!

Literally the only storyline I am enjoying is Patrick/Maxine/Sienna/Nico.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Sorry, Lewnaticc, but I don't, I think it has been crap for the past 6 months at least, maybe even longer but my time perception is very bad. I don't watch the other soaps but will read other threads on here about them and it seemed at one point, maybe a year or two ago, the most positive comments were about HO and I can even see it was justified if they won Best Soap at the recent BSA's even though I personally thought it was a weak year for them, because comments on here about the other soaps were mostly disparaging. But lately I have been struggling to watch it and if i miss an episode i'm not bothered and don't catch up. For me it's too sensationalist and I hate all the constant gangster stuff. And yet I loved Sean/Warren, Warren/Clare (she wasn't a 'gangster' but still evil) and Warren/Brendan. But lately it seems too overloaded with supposedly tough characters.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying parts of Hollyoaks (Blessing's SL, Maxine/Patrick, Cindy etc) but they're are areas that really need improvement! The recent whodunit was awful, Grace is just a poor man's Clare and there's no emotional connection to some characters. On the whole I'd say it's ok but it needs improving soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched Hollyoaks on and off for years, I would say it's not doing too bad . It's been better especially last year with Dr Browning and Mercedes. Corrie is starting to pick up pace, but still very average and uneventful.
    Surprisingly, don't shoot me, I have recently enjoyed Grace's scenes
  • becsiebecsie Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never miss an episode of hollyoaks whereas EE can be a bit hit and miss,though I am liking the surprises ( and they say HO copies EE ;) )
    There are some points that need improving yes but I enjoy it.
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I watch Hollyoaks, Corrie, and occasionally Eastenders, and I think the latter two at the moment are pretty dire. Corrie especially. Yet I'm gripped by Hollyoaks, I think it's been better than it has in years!

Anyone else agree?!

Its a pile of shit at the moment. Wafer thin plots with massive plot holes. Characters change personality to suit the story and you have to suspend belief in the contrived scenarios that Bryan Berkwood is dreaming up.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I think some of the storylines had potential, but the writers keep screwing them up by over-extending them and having characters turn idiots for the sake of the storylines.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    It's probably been the most consistently entertaining soap over the last decade, and shows no sign of letting up. If you are prepared to suspend your belief that that many crazy things can happen in a small space, you are in for an entertaining 30 minutes nearly every episode.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im also really enjoying it atm. I think they messed up the rape sl but other than that I've really enjoyed the other storylines this year bar anything to do with gangsters or Freddie. I constantly entertained every episode and I'm really excited with what's to come. Cindy, Blessing,Maxine and Patrick, Ste and lots of other things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying the blessing storyline and the John Paul rape storyline and Maxine/ crazy Patrick one but they seem to do a few fantastic eps then u don't see them
    And axe the roscoes they are rubbish don't mind Robbie and joe but the rest have to go including Lyndsey and sandy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im starting to like Mercedes surprisingly, and Grace!
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fantastic at the minute, they just need to get rid if the boring roscoes / grace in the October cast cull then everything will be great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axe the Roscoe's!
    Keep me Robbie and Lindsey
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    No doubt about that good times for Hollyoaks just now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it at the mo but hate the constant it's not the same as old HO with Zoe and Kris and how Nancy has changed.

There were so many good storylines before the Zoe and kris era. Nancy has always been self involved so I like how the writers are converting her back to her oldself.

I also enjoy how they make you feel about a character because I would love to kick the shit out of Patrick but have always loved the actor.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Its a pile of shit at the moment. Wafer thin plots with massive plot holes. Characters change personality to suit the story and you have to suspend belief in the contrived scenarios that Bryan Berkwood is dreaming up.

I will go with mostly this, but I'm tuning in ATM for Maxine and Patrick. There's very few stories I actually care about. I'd say 'characters' but they've been changed to suit the stories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I really like it, better than Corrie and EE definitely. I just wish they'd improve the writing, it really brings it down
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belle15 wrote: »
    I really like it, better than Corrie and EE definitely. I just wish they'd improve the writing, it really brings it down

sometimes its so shoddy but then sometimes its actually quite cleaver. Like how they are making Rhys speak about baby Katy. He was never around to meet her so its quite good how they are nicely tying it together.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oaks is still my fave. I agree there are many characters and areas it could improve. I do not like The Roscoes and i'm not interested in the gangster storylines or anything to do with Sinead.
    But there are still fab characters like Maxine, Patrick, Sienna, The Lomaxes, John Paul and Cindy.
    I'm enjoying the recent Patrick/Maxine storyline the most.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to watch HO because it's fast paced which makes a nice change from Corrie & ED where storylines seem to drag on & on & on & on & on...

The Maxine/Patrick storyline is the one I watch mostly & Cindy's bipolar is good too, the Lomaxes are entertaining too with the Cameron stuff. Blessing & Dennis are nice to watch aswell. Nana McQueen is another great character too, I love her & her antics.

I don't like Mercedes how she swans around thinking she's better than everyone else. Also just PLEASE get rid of the Roscoes they are awful & the whodunit was predictable really, not shocked at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    sometimes its so shoddy but then sometimes its actually quite cleaver. Like how they are making Rhys speak about baby Katy. He was never around to meet her so its quite good how they are nicely tying it together.

True the writing can be very good, they just need to have it consistently good :)