Some fantastic page turners I really can recommend

13»

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Andy Weir's The Martian.

Reviews: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/The-Martian%2FAndy-Weir/1114993828?ean=9780804139021 (I'd give it five ***** too!)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Here are a few I've enjoyed recently:

Anything written by Sharon Bolton (also writes as S.J. Bolton)

I came on here to suggest her. I'm working my way through the Lacy Flint series at the moment.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ' The Light Between Oceans ' by M. L. Stedman. A lighthouse keeper and his wife make a devastating decision which has an impact on their life and others for ever. Thought provoking and very moving. I found it unputdownable !
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you liked Into the Darkest Corner and Before I go to Sleep then you have to read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

Three women, three men, connected through marriage or infidelity. Each is to blame for something. But only one is a killer in this nail-biting, stealthy psychological thriller about human frailty and obsession.
    Just what goes on in the houses you pass by every day?
    Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and evening, rattling over the same junctions, flashing past the same townhouses.The train stops at the same signal every day, and she sees the same couple, breakfasting on their roof terrace. Jason and Jess, as she calls them, seem so happy. Then one day Rachel sees someone new in their garden. Soon after, Rachel sees the woman she calls Jess on the news. Jess has disappeared.
    Through the ensuing police investigation, Rachel is drawn deeper into the lives of the couple she learns are really Megan and Scott Hipwell. As she befriends Scott, Rachel pieces together what really happened the day Megan disappeared. But when Megan's body is found, Rachel finds herself the chief suspect in the case. Plunged into a world of betrayals, secrets and deceptions, Rachel must confront the facts about her own past and her own failed marriage.
    A sinister and twisting story that will keep you guessing at every turn, The Girl on the Train is a high-speed chase for the truth.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ' The Light Between Oceans ' by M. L. Stedman. A lighthouse keeper and his wife make a devastating decision which has an impact on their life and others for ever. Thought provoking and very moving. I found it unputdownable !

Thanks, just added to my wishlist. :)
    If you liked Into the Darkest Corner and Before I go to Sleep then you have to read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

Funnily enough, I saw a great newspaper review of this book earlier this week so added that to my wishlist then!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must stop reading this thread, my wishlist is out of control! The girl on the train sounds especially good :)
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I must stop reading this thread, my wishlist is out of control! The girl on the train sounds especially good :)

It really is. I've got through it so fast. Going to keep an eye out for this author now.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Currently reading Colette McBeth - Precious Thing.
    Love it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I started reading 'What Laura Saw' on the train to work this morning. I'm about 150 pages in so far and am absolutely loving it! :)

I'm glad you are liking it.

Update: I am currently reading 'gone Girl' and loving it! However, I was sooo disappointed by the sequel to 'Eeny Meeny'; 'Pop goes the weasel' and ended up abandoning it about a third of the way through. I'd be interested in others' opinions on it as I just found myself getting more and more annoyed at the main character, even though she was the same character as in the first book, which I loved. I don't understand it.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Day You Saved My Life by Louise Candlish. Very good read, had me gripped right until the second to last page, then the ending had an unexpected twist and I was disappointed !! Going to get some more books of hers though, really enjoyed it
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Andy Weir's The Martian.

Reviews: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/The-Martian%2FAndy-Weir/1114993828?ean=9780804139021 (I'd give it five ***** too!)

My wife showed me the cover of the book she is currently reading where it states it is "literally unputdownable."

Well if there really is such a thing as "literally unputdownable"then The Martian has to qualify for the award. I was torn between not wanting to put it down and not wanting to finish it because I enjoyed it so much I didn't want it to end.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you are liking it.

Update: I am currently reading 'gone Girl' and loving it! However, I was sooo disappointed by the sequel to 'Eeny Meeny'; 'Pop goes the weasel' and ended up abandoning it about a third of the way through. I'd be interested in others' opinions on it as I just found myself getting more and more annoyed at the main character, even though she was the same character as in the first book, which I loved. I don't understand it.

Really? I enjoyed Pop Goes The Weasel just as much as Eeny Meeny. I've just ordered The Doll's House :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Really? I enjoyed Pop Goes The Weasel just as much as Eeny Meeny. I've just ordered The Doll's House :)

I didn't like Eeny Meeny at all - I just couldn't stand the main character in it!

Anyway, I have come on to recommend Broken Dolls by James Carol - definitely a page turner - it's about an American criminal profiler coming over to the UK to crack a case.
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

Superb book with a truly interesting premise and a novel take on time travel.
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    lea27 wrote: »
    What past bestsellers would you recommend?
    luckylila wrote: »
    Do go ahead and add your own recommendations! :kitty: I'm ready with my pen poised!

I guess keen readers assume that other keen readers will have already read older titles, so we tend to mention newer books, but I love coming across authors who have been around a while but I've somehow never come across.

I'd like to add 'Gone' by Lisa Gardner, which I read recently and found very gripping. (Not to be confused with 'Gone Girl')

I've recommended a few on the 'what are you reading now' thread. Because they are the most current I've read this past year that struck me as thrilling.

I honestly can't say which books are the best page turners ever. Seriously, I can't.

I read at a minimum of 3 books a week and have done for years. And of all of those, I always go by reviews and recommendations. Not all have been to my taste, to which I quickly discard, but so many are and I've no way of naming one over the other in terms of 'best' etc. :)
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently read The Book of You by Claire Kendal:

A terrifying psychological thriller about obsession and power, perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep.

Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won’t leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there.

Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can’t be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand.

Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them – and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined.

It kept me gripped.

Great thread, by the way!