Options

How many rollockings do you get over the course of a working week?

carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
Forum Member
How many and is it possible never to receive any?

Comments

• Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None, and I would never give someone a rollicking. I've given constructive criticism but never ranting for the sake of it, its no way to gain respect.
  • Options
    sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want advice on how to avoid them or how to get some? Rollockings that is.
  • Options
    carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    sybilvimes wrote: »
    Do you want advice on how to avoid them or how to get some? Rollockings that is.

Just wondered what was considered 'normal'.
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes folks, it's half term!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get constructive criticism but never worse.

Although I did end up reduced to tears because of it at one point last week. (Not my colleague's fault though, I just beat myself up too much over it).
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really had any in my seven years at my last job, they were very laid back and you could get away with murder as long as it was sorted by the time the big wigs wanted to see the work.

When you do get one just nod your head and agree to anything said.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age 39, really ?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I had one. 1979. Wasn't even deserved either. Git.
  • Options
    ScPDScPD Posts: 319
    Forum Member

Too many... Only when I'm not there
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Age 39, really ?

Some managers still behave like this you know - and some companies have a culture of blame and blamathons (although is usually more of a whining officiousness).

SO depends what the OP meant by Rollicking, (It means any sign of displeasure in some parts of the UK)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. What advice are you looking for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    Some managers still behave like this you know - and some companies have a culture of blame and blamathons (although is usually more of a whining officiousness).

SO depends what the OP meant by Rollicking, (It means any sign of displeasure in some parts of the UK)

I'll have to say that I have only ever seen the word used to mean a severe reprimand, being chewed out. Not some sign of displeasure.

I recognise it does still happening though its pretty much considered bad management, but it sounds OP is saying that it happens a lot to them which makes me think they are either bad at their job or they have a bad manager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to say that I have only ever seen the word used to mean a severe reprimand, being chewed out. Not some sign of displeasure.

I recognise it does still happening though its pretty much considered bad management, but it sounds OP is saying that it happens a lot to them which makes me think they are either bad at their job or they have a bad manager.

It could be construed the what the OP is referring to is workplace bullying I suppose. A lot of that is reported in highly paid jobs that you would not expect or it could be just a young person in their first job and people react by treating them like school children.

OP would need to elaborate.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None now, It's brilliant I just do the very best I can so no one needs to complain, do more than I am paid for and also try to be cheery so no one needs to tell me off.
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one in 2003, taken to a room by my 2 bosses and roasted for my "over friendly" conduct with clients/customers. When I asked to leave the room I was told we would stay there until it was resolved as to leave would be childish!

Those two blokes lost a lot of friends in our office, some of whom had been their friends for years longer than I'd worked there. I didn't report it upwards, but definitely felt I'd got my revenge when I was promoted above both of them, especially the more senior of the two who was 20 years older than me! ;-)

Since then, none. Just the occasional "put more in, you'll get more out" and "you're not working to your full potential" type comments, like i got at school!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be construed the what the OP is referring to is workplace bullying I suppose. A lot of that is reported in highly paid jobs that you would not expect or it could be just a young person in their first job and people react by treating them like school children.

OP would need to elaborate.

The worst I have come across is doing IT support in the city, especially with traders who think they can get away with murder. I heard it was pretty bad in the 80's, when I worked in the field in the 90's is was a lot better but you still had to be thick skinned at timed. Speaking to people who still work there now, bullying still happens.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    None, I'm my own boss! stressful but no one giving me orders!
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would say about 7 or 8 a day.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    These days it's called "appropriate support".
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. I've been in this job since October and since Christmas I've had 2 complaints, and one was overturned by the manager as being unjustified.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst I have come across is doing IT support in the city, especially with traders who think they can get away with murder. I heard it was pretty bad in the 80's, when I worked in the field in the 90's is was a lot better but you still had to be thick skinned at timed. Speaking to people who still work there now, bullying still happens.

I'm IT in London :)

A lot of stuff goes on for (what I would have thought) very little gain - It's sort of
    managerial territory fights with engineers in the middle.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm IT in London :)

A lot of stuff goes on for (what I would have thought) very little gain - It's sort of
    managerial territory fights with engineers in the middle.
    And I've seen the source code for some of their programs. It ain't pretty. All they care about is a good audit trail so they can wind errors back.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Non, If my boss has an issue he explains it like a good boss would and if the problem continues he will then go through a procedure of disciplinary action or whatever is needed
  • Options
    ianredianred Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I get a few but they call it feedback 😃
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its always called "Feedback"

If its justified fair enough I'll take it, if its unjustified they get as good as they give, not done cheekily but I'm not one just to roll over