Ghostwatch - BBC 1 - 1992

Comments

• johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 24 when it originally aired and I remember seeing a small snippet in my TV listings mag about it being a drama, but had I not seen that (it was literally a couple of lines, so could easily have been missed), I would have assumed I was watching something real (I wonder how long I would have been fooled for:D). I don't remember it being heavily trailed as a drama (is it possible that it was trailed differently in each TV region?) - in fact, my memory is of it being originally trailed as a documentary.

It's very easy to be smug about it 17 years later, but there probably were plenty of people who thought they were watching something real. It was given an air of authenticity by the use of real TV presenters.

I loved it - Pipes was genuinely scary! I bought it on DVD a couple of years ago and it was great to rewatch it again!
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Yes I remember watching this, I was 13 at the time and was terrified. It was shown on a Saturday night and there where a few late night horror films on that night to co-inside with Halloween night. Looking back now, Ghostwatch started off the Halloween night programming perfectly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I actually watched it last night on a fairly well known videosharing site called You Tube, and it has stood the test of time in spite of being from 1992, and was a very well-made piece of drama - even Parky has a section devoted to it on his own website and he was even nominated for Best Male Actor BAFTA the following year!!

I just cant see such a prog having the same impact now, in the multichannel age, and I suspect with the bbc subject to such hostile scrutiny with regard to expenses and the licence fee and an election in the offing, I dont suspect they would be brave enough to show something like that again, which is a shame as it was a bold and innovative piece of drama.

nowadays they would be forced to run a news line ticker similar to the news channels every 2 mins saying something like "This is not a live programme - this is a fictional prerecorded programme" - and with the litigious culture nowadays they would be worried about legal action from various people who "suffered" as a result...
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    I was 24 when it originally aired and I remember seeing a small snippet in my TV listings mag about it being a drama, but had I not seen that (it was literally a couple of lines, so could easily have been missed), I would have assumed I was watching something real (I wonder how long I would have been fooled for:D). I don't remember it being heavily trailed as a drama (is it possible that it was trailed differently in each TV region?) - in fact, my memory is of it being originally trailed as a documentary.

It was certainly never trailed as a documentary. The Radio Times indicated clearly that it was a drama, but it's possible other listings magazines were less clear.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    It was certainly never trailed as a documentary. The Radio Times indicated clearly that it was a drama, but it's possible other listings magazines were less clear.

I seem to remember reading that The Radio Times included the Cast listings, too.

I was terrified at the time, though :D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was made as a 'drama' but who do the BBC think they're kidding when they say they never intended it to be taken seriously by the viewers? They only say that so they get out of the blame for freaking people out (didn't someone kill themselves and it was blamed on the show? That would be the prime reason for the BBC not wanting to admit). It was so obviously planned as a proper spoof.

The thing is, watching it now, even though you know it's a spoof it STILL gets to you a little bit (or a lot...). You need to watch if from start to finish to get the effect. The bits at the beginning might seem pointless to sit through but it has to be done so you get sucked in. Craig Charles, Parky and Mike Smith are great at selling the whole thing as real, and you truly believe Sarah Greene is in danger at the end!! It's only the very end with Parky in the studio that I don't like because it's suddenly so very obviously staged and prank-like. If if wasn't for that part it would be 100% classic TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this programme when it 1st aired,for those who havnt seen it or want 2 see it again heres the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTDHEeLI0A
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Bite Back program where people were discussing the show afterwards, makes you realise what bloody idiots some people are.

Some complaining it wasn't suitable for children - well it was on at 9:25pm, after the watershed, so no it wasn't suitable and that's your fault for letting them see it.

Secondly, apparently they had many complaints about how it was in bad taste because the 'ghost' attacked children. Well, that's what happens in most poltergeist stories...

I felt very sorry for the people from the program who were on the show, having to defend it against such idiots who simply wouldn't listen to sense and reason.
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha!! I remember watching the first 5 minutes of this (it aired when I was 9) and being petrified lol!! I never watched the rest but just watched it on Google video!! Brilliant!!

Was the doctor woman not in Drop the Dead Donkey or something similar? And i'm sure the little girl was the youngest sister in My Parents Are Aliens, on itv kids!!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4 has a programme about the history of ghost progs on TV, next week. I wonder if Ghostwatch will be mentioned?

100% genuinely dead scary.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlucont wrote: »
    Does everyone remember this programme from 1992 and the subsequent scandal!

Please sign this petition to have it re-broadcast now that the 10 Year ban is over!

<a href="http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/ghostwatch.html">Online petition - Bring back

Thanks

Huh? 10 year ban? What the hell was the 10 year ban for?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when the camera went from the curtains to the bed, then after a few seconds of someone telling the camera to go back to the curtain to look at the 'ghost' that was there, nothing was there. Very convenient that few seconds period was :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great show, very dated and quite cheesy but still great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Absolutely brilliant programme. Looking back now, the acting is a little staged etc, but it was the way the show was produced that helped make it appear real. I was scared stiff!

I wonder if Sarah Green is still trapped in that room under the stairs?
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    A television classic!
  • worldladworldlad Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I have a ghostwatch DVD in near perfect condition, if anyone is interested get back to me
  • naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a few days after, probably Monday, Sarah Greene appeared on a programme to reassure children that she was fine. I cannot remember which programme though, it was on Children's BBC. It could have been Blue Peter.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave150 wrote: »
    Parky has a section devoted to it on his own website and he was even nominated for Best Male Actor BAFTA the following year!!

Michael Parkinson was definitely not nominated for a BAFTA award for Ghostwatch!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Ghosts in the Machine, BBC, tonight, 21:00 features Ghostwatch:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nk9yw
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    naddieuk wrote: »
    I remember a few days after, probably Monday, Sarah Greene appeared on a programme to reassure children that she was fine. I cannot remember which programme though, it was on Children's BBC. It could have been Blue Peter.

I'm sure she was still regular presenter on Going Live on Saturday mornings at that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this programme when it 1st aired,for those who havnt seen it or want 2 see it again heres the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTDHEeLI0A

Woo! A chance to see it again! How did i not realise it for the past year and a half? lol. Thats my late night viewing sussed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad that a kid with emotional problems killed himself after watching it,i can still remember the mother being interviewed on breakfast telly,she said her son would have ended up killing himself no matter what ,but that WAS the trigger and she couldent stop him from watching it as was a teenager and she belived it was documentry,she didn't blame the writer in any way,she accepted it was a tragic ending of her son's life but was angry with the B.B.C as the writer had no intention of it being screened as a documentry regardles of the t.v. times drama rating.
    The boy though he would be a gost a have fun,no scool,could do what he liked,no rule's.Think the B.B.C. did accept they got it badly wrong ,that's why they banned it,think i can remember seen it good few years back,migh have been channel4 as part of their banned season.
    I was terrrified myself watching it and would have been a very weedheaded stonded 23 was very confused at the end till the title's rolled and you seen it was written
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Well, it is sad what happenend to the kid, and that's perfectably reasonable why it was never shown again. It affected me as a child too. I reckon if it was ever to air again i think BBC 4 may show it, on late night, as it feels like a channel exclusively for adults, so not many kids will be watching.

I got to see again tonight, of all nights after 17 years. Yes, you can tell from the family, it's just too dramatic to be the real thing, but still an impressively produced programme no matter what the controversy of it. It's like evrything "Most Haunted aspired to be, and then some.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    petral_gal wrote: »
    ha!! I remember watching the first 5 minutes of this (it aired when I was 9) and being petrified lol!! I never watched the rest but just watched it on Google video!! Brilliant!!

Was the doctor woman not in Drop the Dead Donkey or something similar? And i'm sure the little girl was the youngest sister in My Parents Are Aliens, on itv kids!!

My Parents Are Aliens started about 8 years after Ghostwatch aired, I don't think it could have been the same actress.

Edit: It started seven years after Ghostwatch, and the actress would have been about 3 when it was on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this programme when it went out back in '92. I was a t a frinds house, we were in our teens and it frightened the life out of us...

I bought this on DVD several months back, watched it and realised how much technology has changed. The programme looks very dated and the methods used in screening now are far more realisitc than those of the day...It was good at the time, but if you watch it now its quite obvious its a fake...