Options

The Future of Women's Football

13»

Comments

• Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't pay billions for the TV rights to Premier League football if there is a bigger mass appeal associated with women's football and non-league.

If I was appalled by everything the Premier League stands for it wouldn't be my basis for bigging up inferior products to be better than they really are.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound too healthy..
    Women's FA Cup: Wembley win may not benefit clubs financially

Notts County stand to lose money from playing in the Women's FA Cup, even if they win Saturday's final at Wembley.

The Magpies have covered costs of hosting two rounds and are only partially subsidised for travel and accommodation, while the total prize money for winning is just £8,600.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33726417
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    867 people turned up to watch the big semi-final between City and Chelsea women.

Taking off in a big way this.
  • Options
    catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound too healthy..

shows why its ridiculous to be staging womens finals at Wembley. The crowd just isnt there for normal league games, its only there for special events like the Olympics etc.....

for normal club games, even if its the cup final they should be more realistic about its status and stage it at a ground more suited.

The mens game didnt start up and immediately run off to build Wembley. It only did so when there was clearly sufficient demand.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Gordon Taylor and the PFA!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that the same as smokey robinson and the miracles?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is that the same as smokey robinson and the miracles?

I don't know. What sort of a deal did they negotiate for players?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. What sort of a deal did they negotiate for players?

Dunno, i heard the tears of a clown put paid to all negotiations.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordon Taylor and the PFA!!

Huey Lewis and the News!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear!

The point has been missed. Possibly due to my attempt at brevity.

Perhaps, though, I should have said "Jimmy Hill and the PFA". Though I seem to remember Gordon Taylor frequently being interviewed on TV at one point.

Although this thread is entitled 'The Future of Women's Football' it might be worth taking a look at the history of both the men's and women's game and comparing the situations.

The F.A. effectively banned women from playing football for a long time, the ban only being rescinded in 1971. Men's football, on the other hand, became professional in 1885, though there was a salary cap.

History of women's football

Salary cap abolished

Up until the early sixties pro footballers earned a relative pittance, even by the standards of the day, and had to have a second job to make ends meet.

Apparently there was the threat of a national players strike in January of 1961 which resulted in the removal of the salary cap. And we all know what's happened since.

Women's football, having been banned by the F.A., there wasn't much chance of professional female footballers. Just the likes of Dick Kerr's Ladies playing, essentially, exhibition matches.

So, whilst men's pro football has been developing since 1885 in one way or another, it's only relatively recently that female footballers have been able to become professional. What would have happened, I wonder, if both men and women footballers had been able to turn pro at the same time? Of course, attitudes were somewhat different in 1885.

Whether there is a 'slow burn' increase in popularity for the women's game I don't know. The F.A. seem to only want to promote the WSL but they have done something strange.

Only time will tell, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear!

The point has been missed. Possibly due to my attempt at brevity.

Perhaps, though, I should have said "Jimmy Hill and the PFA". Though I seem to remember Gordon Taylor frequently being interviewed on TV at one point.

still wouldnt have made any sense.

what are you replying to when you just say "gordon taylor and the pfa!" with no context added?

Why would jimmy hill and the pfa make any difference, again with no context added?

Whats the actual point you were trying to make?