Options

FIFA Officials arrested in dawn raid inZurich

Comments

• Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I think so, as I think it is part of the US RICO act?.....

Thanks

Not a bad day at the office then for the Treasury:)
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rupstoh wrote: »
    Uefa now calling for the FIFA election to be postponed.

I would have more respect for this lot if they stood up to FIFA more firmly re: moving the Qatar WC to late November, shown more leadership or at least adviced its members to consider boycotting an event whose bid was "won" on the promise to stage it during the summer. As it is, I don't.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I would have more respect for this lot if they stood up to FIFA more firmly re: moving the Qatar WC to late November, shown more leadership or at least adviced its members to consider boycotting an event whose bid was "won" on the promise to stage it during the summer. As it is, I don't.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Qatar was the big chance that EUFA had to kick FIFA into touch and they bottled it.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Expect to see this story figure prominently on the next edition of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on Sky Atlantic at 11.10pm on Monday. They have run FIFA pieces before - worth searching for on You Tube.

Hopefully the whole FIFA edifice will come tumbling down at last. The global sponsors still on board will pretty soon start considering their positions if this story gains momentum - they will not want to be seen as drinking from a poisoned chalice. FIFA will discover what Tiger Woods discovered - and his "crime" was simply a personal imperfection.

A few cosmetic changes won't be enough - this is like the USSR and Eastern Europe in the late 80s. There is also a need to cancel or boycott the next World Cup unless appropriate steps are taken. Time for the FA and other groups to do the right thing as well.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice for them to explain it in terms us dumb football fans can understand...

"World Cup of Fraud"

A "red card" for the FIFA officials involved.

A red card for FIFA itself in fact. The FBI guy made it perfectly clear that he regards FIFA as the problem, not just a few isolated rogue individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    A red card for FIFA itself in fact. The FBI guy made it perfectly clear that he regards FIFA as the problem, not just a few isolated rogue individuals.

And its interesting that the Swiss have launched a totally separate criminal investigation solely on the bids for 2018 and 2022.

Hope there isn't another whitewash and the Swiss can get to the bottom of the whole disgusting mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    And its interesting that the Swiss have launched a totally separate criminal investigation solely on the bids for 2018 and 2022.

Hope there isn't another whitewash and the Swiss can get to the bottom of the whole disgusting mess.

It's incredible to even hear the word "criminal" associated with the 2018 and 2022 bidding process (but that's what a lot of people suspect)
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    good job americans and about time this happened. notice how things like this and uk/eu banks getting up to no good the uk/european athorities do nothing to stop it so it requires the americans to take action :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's incredible to even hear the word "criminal" associated with the 2018 and 2022 bidding process (but that's what a lot of people suspect)

The various media investigations over the last 20+ years have made it very clear that the bidding for the WC is rife with corruption, but FIFA and the continental associations have deliberately looked the other way to keep their troughs well and truly filled with cash.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    "In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year." Sepp Blatter. This was also said today by FIFA's communications officer earlier today.

In fact they handed over the documents 17 days after Blazer was exposed in a US newspaper as being an FBI informant and that he'd been recording FIFA reps at the 2012 Olympic Games. FIFA instigated nothing.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well yes, the members of the organisation who have allegedly committed crimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    Blatter will walk away scot free from this, mark my words.

There will be no money trail to him. If there was he would have been arrested already.

As for his election to president, pure politics - you scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of thing with nothing recorded.

There is a reason Blatter has lasted so long, he is a very shrewd guy.

Naaa, I would watch this space in the next 24 hours. I reckon there will be more to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, the members of the organisation who have allegedly committed crimes.

A culture of corruption and even criminality within the organisation may well be a factor in those individuals (allegedly) doing the things they have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A culture of corruption and even criminality within the organisation may well be a factor in those individuals (allegedly) doing the things they have done.

That may well be the case, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naaa, I would watch this space in the next 24 hours. I reckon there will be more to come.

Maybe not for a while, as I think the FBI and its arrest warrants are for people that they can easily link to corrupt payments. What they hope is that some of those arrested will take a "plea bargain" that will implicate others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are you surprised at the word "criminal" being linked to the 2018 &22 bids?. Its been clear for a long time that they were only awarded due to corruption in FIFA.

I wonder if we could get the FBI to investigate the entirety of world football?. Maybe then the trough feeders would leave the game alone for a while...
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    And now Tony Blair has resigned as Envoy to The Middle East.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32905468

Smoke, fire? or coincidence?

After such massive success he deserves a rest - making yourself very rich while thousands are dying is quite tiring I dare say.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if Qatar was stripped of 2022, it would interesting to what the host would next if they were caught up in this:confused:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

The US Attorney-General said in answer to a question that the most serious charges are for “racketeering” and that “these defendants took the soccer enterprise and turned it into a criminal enterprise”. She said that the maximum sentence is 20 years in jail.

Strong words!

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    What would happen if Qatar was stripped of 2022, it would interesting to what the host would next if they were caught up in this:confused:

USA finished second in the voting for 2022 so may demand a chance to host it.

Even so, no way will FIFA will change unless the current investigation can prove improper payments which could lead to legal action by the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CONCACAF’s offices took up the entire 17th floor, but Blazer often worked from two apartments where he lived on the 49th floor in $18,000-per-month digs for himself and an adjoining $6,000 retreat largely for his unruly cats, according to a source.

..my oh my..
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How they must have laughed when the other World Cup bidding teams for 2018/2022 were making their presentations fully knowing they stood no chance.:( Blatter and the rest of the corrupt I mean.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtually everyone that follows sport know that two of the most corrupt organisations on earth are FIFA & the IOC, this has been going on for years, the most surprising thing is that some people are surprised by all the allegations.
    Once all this has been proved in a court of law all the losing bidders for the 2018 & 2022 world cup bids should sue FIFA for the outlay of their bids.
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Did I hear right during the news conference, references made to the deal between a US clothing firm and Brazil's national team. That may cause a certain sports clothing firm some problems...
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    Virtually everyone that follows sport know that two of the most corrupt organisations on earth are FIFA & the IOC, this has been going on for years, the most surprising thing is that some people are surprised by all the allegations.
    Once all this has been proved in a court of law all the losing bidders for the 2018 & 2022 world cup bids should sue FIFA for the outlay of their bids.

IOC has cleaned up it's act though, hasn't it?.

I agree the losing bidders should sue.