Trailer for Diana

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.justjared.com/2013/06/12/naomi-watts-diana-trailer/#comments

Oh boy i have weird relationship with princess diana, but I just don't think this film should've been made at all. I read somewhere about this that we don't need to see the film we all watched it happen in real time. Plus I think it's to soon and I think it's too contentious if a story. And naomi just doesn't capture diana. Plus her life was so complicated that again we just don't have any clue of what will be told will be real as well.

Nothing personally against naomi imagine the pressure she was under?! but she looks nothing like diana and looks way older than diana and is not getting any of her charisma or aura, this film makes uncomfortable already.

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just thinking the other day if there would be a trailer for this or if they would keep us in suspense to much nearer the time (Naomi is going to be under a lot of scrutiny and watch for this role).

In the pictures etc we've seen so far I haven't taken too much notice regarding appearance because sometimes the acting can outshine that. After watching the trailer I still want to see the movie and (if it's possible) looks aside, I think it will still be good. I think this film will give an insight into how forceful the media were in Diana's life (that's the impression the trailer gives anyway).

There is no doubt that she doesn't really look like Diana though there are times and glances where she does. I seem to remember the same sort of reaction with Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I don't really understand why Naomi is getting so much criticism for "looking nothing like Diana" Yes she doesn't look the spitting image of her, but it's not like she looks absolutely nothing like her in character. If I saw the photo's from the filming, i'd obviously be aware that she was portraying Diana. It's definitely not in the same league as Lindsey playing Liz Taylor - Even in character she still looked nothing like Liz

But as maddisdoor said, the acting may very well outshine her appearance. And imo, Naomi Watt is an incredible actress and I think she'll do very well with what she's given. The trailer didn't exactly give much away besides how she looked, but I do plan on seeing this anyway
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not interested in wether she looks like Diana or not I'm more interested in the performance. It's a shame that the trailer didn't show us anything of her performance - but as a teaser it's adequate.

Is it just me or does the film look to have a lower budget than expected?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would of loved a film about her whole life, not a certain part, but it's about time they did a film on Diana. Naomi Watts is a great actress and of course she doesn't look like Diana, but it's all about the acting. I have a feeling she may walk away with an oscar or at least be a big contender

Meryl Street didn't look like Thatcher, but she nailed her voice and mannerisms spot on. As did Michelle Williams when she played Marilyn Monroe and Helen Mirren when she played The Queen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I wouldn't have thought a big budget was necessary (I mean, Di's life is based on real events, not sci fi or something :D) but I see what you mean, sometimes it's how stuff is filmed that changes the impression.

I will definitely be seeing this movie though for a number of reasons. Mainly because I think it's about time there was a big screen movie about Diana (not some of the crap made-for-tv ones that have been abysmal, bar one or two) and also because I think Naomi Watts is a great actress.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's 16 years since Princess Diana died so I don't think it's 'too soon' to make a film about her.

My problem is that studios have been have been flunking out loads of biopics/historical dramas lately and hardly any of them have been any good. It's really hard to get a biopic right. You have to avoid being biased towards the character you're directing to avoid any criticism. But if you manage that and go down the path of neutrality then you risk making a boring film, hence 'The Iron Lady'.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I never understood the mass Diana love. She was clearly a very vindictive individual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    I never understood the mass Diana love. She was clearly a very vindictive individual.

:rolleyes: yeah she looked like one when raising the awareness of Aids
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    And naomi just doesn't capture diana.

Wow, you must be psychic (or have an early screener copy of the movie!) if you can tell that Naomi "doesn't capture Diana" without actually having seen any of her performance :rolleyes: There certainly wasn't anything to judge so sweepingly and negatively in that trailer, only such tiny snapshots that it's clear they're being very careful to keep it all under wraps to generate buzz for the film...

And of course she doesn't look like her, they were never going to find an actress who does, and it hasn't hindered other biopics before, as people have already pointed out - Streep and Mirren won Oscars and Williams should have done so. There's absolutely nothing at this stage to say that Naomi Watts won't do a great job with Diana, we'll have to wait and see.

It's not too soon - she died when I was 7 and I'm nearly 23 now, so in my book that's a long time! And it doesn't really matter if what we're told is real - it's a movie, not a documentary! Not all of The Iron Lady, My Week With Marilyn or even The Queen was entirely accurate, but it never could be, movie biopics are designed to be talked about and generate revenue, not to tell an entirely factual story. It'll not be far off what we know of what happened, but it'll be sensationalised a bit, such movies always are.

I'm looking forward to this, just hoping it lives up to all the hype and is actually a good movie. I enjoyed My Week With Marilyn and The Queen, but hated The Iron Lady, so I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with biopics. I'm more excited for this than Grace of Monaco for sure...

It's intriguing that it's out on the 20th September though, bit early for Oscar contender season, even though there's been a lot of talk about Naomi Watts being a potential Best Actress winner for this if it lives up to the hype...
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need for the eye rolling, I was going by the trailer, I probably will watch the film and naomi could blow everybody away which I want I want since naomi is a great actress. I just think its a big undertaking, I don't if this film is a independent feature like my week with marilyn or a bigger film?

I was seven too when she died but it seems like they're always been something with diana almost yearly in a big way since she's died, like the settleton tapes, the secret tapes, the inquest amongst others that it almost feels like she never left us. And so much comes out people selling their stories of etc etc, that for me the truth gets blurred but I just ignore all that now. That's why I said it feels too soon. Plus I keep thinking about william and harry. Who knows what more will come out about diana?

For me diana and marilyn are very very similar in a lot of respects and I'm a Humongous marilyn fan and I watched my week and liked it and second time I disliked it jmo, I think maybe that's why I'm nervous about diana, that it just won't hit then spot or won't get her. These two had this quality that rarely comes around again and my comments weren't toward naomi in particular but anyone who would've played diana, they were just never going to get it as diana and marilyn were rare beings. But both michelle and naomi are smart enough to really understand the human being as I've seen them talk about in interviews.

I think for me ill just end up missing the real diana and thinking well you're not it so let me go see pictures or footage of the real person. It's almost like I want this shell over her as if to say no dont bring it all up again, let it rest as inevitably this film will bring up all sorts of divisions on diana again and she will be made all hollywoodized if that makes any sense.

I kind off wish as this diana film was already going to be made, I would have love to have seen a sort of fictionalised version of fact either about her and charles marriage or her relationship with the royal family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    These two had this quality that rarely comes around again and my comments weren't toward naomi in particular but anyone who would've played diana, they were just never going to get it as diana and marilyn were rare beings.

I think for me ill just end up missing the real diana and thinking well you're not it so let me go see pictures or footage of the real person. It's almost like I want this shell over her as if to say no dont bring it all up again, let it rest as inevitably this film will bring up all sorts of divisions on diana again and she will be made all hollywoodized if that makes any sense.

With respect, it's your choice to put Diana on that kind of pedestal. Yes, she did some extraordinary humanitarian work which I will always admire, but no more so than many other people who don't get the same recognition simply because they don't have the same status. At the end of the day she was just another girl who married into a famous, wealthy family and had to deal with all the publicity and responsibility that comes with that, but she was no more special than anyone else, and certainly not a 'rare being' in my book. She didn't have any qualities that aren't displayed by many others doing wonderful work in the world, people just saw it in her because of the publicity that surrounded her.

And she's already hollywoodized, she was hollywoodized the moment she walked down the aisle at St Paul's Cathedral on her wedding day, if not before that. No-one knows the 'real' her except her family and friends, so there was always going to be and will always be an element of media sensationalism inherent in any biopic of her because that's what there was surrounding her for most of her adult life.

I think you've cut to the heart of the problem though - people paint Diana as something she never was, and expect that vision to be lived up to in any film of her life. For the most part, it probably will be, the heightened views of her were in many ways driven by the press she received and the attention in general, but it's certainly no excuse for writing the whole thing off before it's even been released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, you must be psychic (or have an early screener copy of the movie!) if you can tell that Naomi "doesn't capture Diana" without actually having seen any of her performance :rolleyes: There certainly wasn't anything to judge so sweepingly and negatively in that trailer, only such tiny snapshots that it's clear they're being very careful to keep it all under wraps to generate buzz for the film...

And of course she doesn't look like her, they were never going to find an actress who does, and it hasn't hindered other biopics before, as people have already pointed out - Streep and Mirren won Oscars and Williams should have done so. There's absolutely nothing at this stage to say that Naomi Watts won't do a great job with Diana, we'll have to wait and see.

It's not too soon - she died when I was 7 and I'm nearly 23 now, so in my book that's a long time! And it doesn't really matter if what we're told is real - it's a movie, not a documentary! Not all of The Iron Lady, My Week With Marilyn or even The Queen was entirely accurate, but it never could be, movie biopics are designed to be talked about and generate revenue, not to tell an entirely factual story. It'll not be far off what we know of what happened, but it'll be sensationalised a bit, such movies always are.

I'm looking forward to this, just hoping it lives up to all the hype and is actually a good movie. I enjoyed My Week With Marilyn and The Queen, but hated The Iron Lady, so I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with biopics. I'm more excited for this than Grace of Monaco for sure...

It's intriguing that it's out on the 20th September though, bit early for Oscar contender season, even though there's been a lot of talk about Naomi Watts being a potential Best Actress winner for this if it lives up to the hype...

I don't think it being released in September will harm it's oscar chances. Silver Lining's Playbook came out around september/october and Jennifer still walked away with the oscar. So did The Help back in 2011 when Octavia Spencer won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think (like a lot of people have been saying on the net) that it will be a GOOD movie (regardless of the looks etc, and possibly regarding of Naomi's acting i.e. whether she really is like Diana or not) but of course it will be deemed "awful" if Naomi doesn't pull off the "diana vibe".

I will be seeing this and think it will do very well actually. I thought I read about a year ago that William and Harry had given consent to this movie being made?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all depend on the competition that Naomi has. Nicole Kidman is another early oscar contender for her role as Grace Kelly in the Grace of Monoco film.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who's directing it ?
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who's directing it ?

Oliver Hirschbegel who directed Downfall which was terrific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all depend on the competition that Naomi has. Nicole Kidman is another early oscar contender for her role as Grace Kelly in the Grace of Monoco film.

There are plenty of other potential contenders for a nomination as well, the names being talked about the most seem to be:

Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts for August: Osage County,
    Emma Thompson for Saving Mr Banks
    Jennifer Lawrence for Serena
    Marion Cotillard for The Immigrant
    Kate Winslet for Labour Day,
    Sandra Bullock for Gravity
    Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
    Judi Dench for Philomena

Berenice Bejo for The Past
    Jessica Chastain for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
    Rooney Mara for Aint Them Bodies Saints
    Zoe Saldana for Nina
    Julie Delpy for Before Midnight

The first part of the list is all previous Oscar winners, and I expect the majority of the Best Actress nominees for next year will come from that list, but unless Naomi Watts is terrible and one of the others out-does themselves, then I think Watts has a big chance of winning - a fair few people think she's overdue an Oscar, more so than any of the other contenders who have previous nominations (well, maybe with the exception of Chastain, but Eleanor Rigby is a weird concept of two films, with a less well known director, so that may not help her chances).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for that list mystical

I forgot about Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »

Maybe, but definitely very manipulative. I am sure the film won't show this side of her though.

All the good things she did, charities etc...call me cynical but was purely for the benefit of her public persona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe the royal family made Diana Manipulative and vindictive. They never really accepted her and she hinted so many times in interviews that the establishement would make sure she would never become Queen

I believe her charity work was genuine. Maybe she was a cow behind the scenes, but with how she was treated, i do not blame her.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree I think she was fighting fire with fire, and in order to try and beat the royal family she essentially became became like they were. I think she never really got the chance to grow up and take a breather which allowed her to think. Her life was going at such a speed with what was going her and her battles with everyone that she reacted impulsively without thinking about its effect.

I think she was deeply wounded and in pain throughout her life not just after her marriage but from her childhood and it just was never going to go away and her behaviour was a result of that pain and unhappiness. You never know what's in a persons head and soul unless you are them.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm by no means a Diana fan - if anything I think she was overrated - but I do love Naomi Watts and the trailer makes this film look like it has the potential to be very good. Naomi doesn't look anything like Diana but it doesn't matter much. If anyone can play the role, it's Naomi.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    It's 16 years since Princess Diana died so I don't think it's 'too soon' to make a film about her.

My problem is that studios have been have been flunking out loads of biopics/historical dramas lately and hardly any of them have been any good. It's really hard to get a biopic right. You have to avoid being biased towards the character you're directing to avoid any criticism. But if you manage that and go down the path of neutrality then you risk making a boring film, hence 'The Iron Lady'.

I actually think they should have made it years ago. Diana was almost deified after her death, but then the tide started to turn. How many people actually care about her any more?
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    This is going to be a car crash of a film.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Will the Duke be driving the Fiat?

Regards

Mark