Trailer for Diana

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a504572/diana-naomi-watts-naveen-andrews-in-new-trailer-watch.html

Long trailer

I am skeptical about this now we have seen some dialogue. Maybe i need to the film more but i feel Naomi hasn't mastered Diana's voice and her mannerisms at all. Where as just by the trailer, i immediatley felt Michelle Williams and Meryl Streep had mastered the voice and mannerisms of the famous women they were playing.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Naomi got the voice pretty well actually but it's visually where I struggle to 'see' Diana when I look at her. I mean, it's clear who she's playing but it's hard to play someone so famous.

Although Meryl and Michelle did amazing as their roles, even when I watched the films, I still couldn't shake that "x is playing x" feeling, I will definitely have that whilst watching 'Diana'. (Sorry if that last part didn't make sense).

I still want to see this film though and think overall it will be a good film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    See I think the new trailer looked pretty good. Looked better than the awful Iron Lady anyway. I think this film will go down well In America but mixed response over here in the UK.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer is woeful. Naomi Watts looks like she's doing an impression of Diana (and a poor one, at that), rather than trying to get under her skin and show us anything approximating the real Diana. Also, I feel that Diana's life was pretty much lived in the media spotlight (and fairly recently), so we've seen it all.

If they want to make biopics of Royals, there are plenty of interesting ones - a couple I can think of off-hand:-

George, Duke of Kent (younger brother of Kings Edward VIII and George VI and uncle of the present Queen)

Bisexual, had an affair with Noel Coward. At one point, became addicted to drugs, which his eldest brother eventually helped him to overcome. Eventually married and had a family, but died tragically in a plane crash in 1942.

Prince Ernest of Hanover (son of King George III, brother of King George IV and uncle of Queen Victoria)

Rumoured to have had an affair with his own sister, which produced a child. Was packed off to Hanover and married off, but was mired in further scandal when his wife died in mysterious circumstances. Very nearly became King, but the birth of Princess (later Queen) Victoria put paid to that, though did introduce yet more scandal in the form of rumours that Prince Ernest attempted to have the little Princess murdered. He lived into his 80s. A present day link - the current Prince Ernst of Hanover (husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco) is Prince Ernest's several times great-grandson.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All i can say is, based on that trailer. My bet on Naomi picking up Best actress has gone right out the window. I bet Nicole Kidman's portrayal as Princess Grace is much better, as both of these performances have actually been put head to head by early talk of next year's nominations.

You know, it is a shame Jessica Chastain dropped out of it last minute. I love Naomi and think she is an ace actress, but she isn't a character/method actor. Where as Jessica is as proved in her performance in The Help and I reckon she would of excelled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like her. Looks more like a young Sue Barker. Still, Middle England will be wetting themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the majority that Naomi looks nothing at all like Diana, however, I will still be watching the film as I think she'll act it well and I think it looks like a good film.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like her. Looks more like a young Sue Barker. Still, Middle England will be wetting themselves.

Indeed.

Along with the Daily Express:D
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, it all looks a bit afternoon TV.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay take this with a large pinch of salt but someone on IMDB says they worked on the film and it ends like so:

It shows the car speeding off into the tunnel, then fades away to a scene of the Queen cackling looking into the camera then the end credits.

Please say this isn't true!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay take this with a large pinch of salt but someone on IMDB says they worked on the film and it ends like so:

It shows the car speeding off into the tunnel, then fades away to a scene of the Queen cackling looking into the camera then the end credits.

Please say this isn't true!?

If that was the case I would definitely watch it.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Justicar wrote: »
    Hmm, it all looks a bit afternoon TV.
    That's what I thought. You can hear the soupy music in your head.

Apparently the film only really concentrates on the last two years of her life (or sex life, rather), with other Royals barely in it at all, it seems.

So no Phil 'n' Liz in their Bond-villain lair plotting her demise. Sadly.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New information been passed to scotland yard regarding her death, i want to see this movie but maybe if it blows up too much it will have to hold back for a while?
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second trailer out. I'm not sure tbh.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDsybVzW4mA

Maybe this is controversial but I don't know much about hasnat khan, I know she ended the relationship and if diana really didnt want him out of her life she wouldn't have ended it, you know needy she was. A few of her friends rosa Monckton and jemima khan have said he was her true love as well as Paul Burrell but I find these people the least trustworthy as they always have spoken about her at any chance with no filter.

A couple of her other friends including lana marks said there was no real true love thing between the pair of them. Just a relationship and then imo it wouldve ended because with the greatest of respect i dont think even at that point diana had the capacity to know what a real true relationship would be like, also diana never would've moved to Pakistan.

It all feels a bit like a Disney movie to me, the true love then never was and how hasnat is so fantastic. Something about it feels a bit not right to me. I think because she's dead it's become a tragic love story but and I think hasnat probably enjoys this martyr role he's got.

P.s I always believed she wanted charles back and that show she put on with dodi on the boat was all about charles throwing that infamous bday bash for camilla ps 50th at highgrove, and the royals didnt like the al Faye's and she wanted to wind them up?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    She dies at the end.
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Most likely the film will get a Oscar nomination because of the Americans obsession with The Royal Family.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bidleybip wrote: »
    Most likely the film will get a Oscar nomination because of the Americans obsession with The Royal Family.

And a couple of BAFTA nominations because of the Brits' obsession. :rolleyes: Come on, that kind of comments makes us look bad, especially when we bear in mind the hysteria over her death and the nation's years-old obsession with the state of the marriage, the circumstances of her death, and whether the "poor orphaned boys" were left to fend for themselves in a castle of royally wicked witches and wizards.
    Forum Member

Surely not even the Academy has lost the plot to that an extent?:eek:
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aye. Before production on the film even starred, the idea struck me as one designed to get Oscars. Naomi Watts must've been annoyed therefore to learn that Nicole Kidman's portrayal of Grace Kelly could (and I think would) ruin the former's chances of winning Best Actress!

If Naomi Watts doesn't get a nomination for the role, I will laugh.
    She dies at the end.

Ooh, interesting! I just so happen to have a spoiler of my own, for Grace of Monaco:
    She dies in the end!
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely not even the Academy has lost the plot to that an extent?:eek:

Surely people aren't so silly as to write off a movie before anyone's even seen it? :rolleyes:

It may well get a nomination, it may not. More than likely if she's any good Naomi Watts will get one because a lot of people think she's overdue an Oscar. But nothing can really be guessed at until the critics have published their reviews - plenty of people thought The Great Gatsby would be a major Oscar contender, but not anymore...
    Forum Member
    Surely people aren't so silly as to write off a movie before anyone's even seen it? :rolleyes:

It may well get a nomination, it may not. More than likely if she's any good Naomi Watts will get one because a lot of people think she's overdue an Oscar. But nothing can really be guessed at until the critics have published their reviews - plenty of people thought The Great Gatsby would be a major Oscar contender, but not anymore...

Ah c'mon. There's not only the trailer to consider but given Diana's secular sainthood in this country and the fawning attitude of the American market, do you really think it's going to be anything other than a sentimental hagiography? Heck, it's not as if it's even an interesting story. Dim Sloane Ranger marries a royal and fills her empty days with charity work and sleeping around?

Oh and :rolleyes: right back at'cha.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be reviews of this tomorrow which will be interesting
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    New information been passed to scotland yard regarding her death, i want to see this movie but maybe if it blows up too much it will have to hold back for a while?

I wouldn't worry about that to much.;)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    There will be reviews of this tomorrow which will be interesting

Interesting indeed. And almost universally woeful.

Scathing one star review from the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/05/diana-review

One star from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/film/diana-film-review-naomi-watts-2254659

Digital Spy hated it (2 stars):

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a511877/diana-review-naomi-watts-stars-in-woefully-misjudged-biopic.html

Two stars from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10289763/Diana-review.html

But the Independent gave it 3 stars:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/first-night-diana-oliver-hirschbiegel-8801006.html

General consensus among the reviewers seems to be that the dialogue is atrocious, the tone keeps alternating wildly and views on Watts range from 'not quite right' to badly stilted...

Oh well, don't think I'll waste my money.

If the US critics think similarly then at least that's one Best Actress contender crossed out, and Watts will have to wait for another project to give her a chance at that elusive award...
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly going to be the biggest turkey ever....really reports saying it is a shocking embarrassing film.