Trailer for Diana

Comments

• Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's looking like its going to be a total howler.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The critics always hate Royal movies though, even 'The Queen' took a bashing at first, however these reviews are the worst I've ever read tbh
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay take this with a large pinch of salt but someone on IMDB says they worked on the film and it ends like so:

It shows the car speeding off into the tunnel, then fades away to a scene of the Queen cackling looking into the camera then the end credits.

Please say this isn't true!?

Yes, helen mirren has reprised her role :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Okay take this with a large pinch of salt but someone on IMDB says they worked on the film and it ends like so:

It shows the car speeding off into the tunnel, then fades away to a scene of the Queen cackling looking into the camera then the end credits.

Please say this isn't true!?

Brilliant.:D Even better would be the camera slowly zooming in on a man sitting in a gloomy office, his back to the camera. As the camera zooms in, the chair slowly swivels around to reveal Prince Phillip stroking a white cat sitting in his lap. He (Phil the Greek, not the cat) leans forward and speaks into a microphone on his desk: 'KIll them'. Cue Godfather stylee music, fade to black.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg I'm laughing so hard at some of your posts :D The 'alternate' version of the movie HAS to happen :D

Do you reckon Helen Mirren and some of the cast from 'The Queen' would be up for it? 'Diana' cast feat. 'The Queen'
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Ah c'mon. There's not only the trailer to consider but given Diana's secular sainthood in this country and the fawning attitude of the American market, do you really think it's going to be anything other than a sentimental hagiography? Heck, it's not as if it's even an interesting story. Dim Sloane Ranger marries a royal and fills her empty days with charity work and sleeping around?

Oh and :rolleyes: right back at'cha.

Well, I don't want to blow my own trumpet or anything but I can clearly foresee the future.:D. To quote the Guardian review:

This is due to an excruciatingly well-intentioned, reverential and sentimental biopic about her troubled final years.

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    http://www.justjared.com/2013/06/12/naomi-watts-diana-trailer/#comments

Oh boy i have weird relationship with princess diana, but I just don't think this film should've been made at all. I read somewhere about this that we don't need to see the film we all watched it happen in real time. Plus I think it's to soon and I think it's too contentious if a story. And naomi just doesn't capture diana. Plus her life was so complicated that again we just don't have any clue of what will be told will be real as well.

Nothing personally against naomi imagine the pressure she was under?! but she looks nothing like diana and looks way older than diana and is not getting any of her charisma or aura, this film makes uncomfortable already.

Agreed OP, some things just do not need a movie made about them, this is one of them.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a major movie, with a "premier" in Leicester Square, the reviews are among the worst I've ever seen.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    The critics always hate Royal movies though, even 'The Queen' took a bashing at first, however these reviews are the worst I've ever read tbh

The Queen had a lukewarm reception because we were back to Diana's death and the critics weren't sure how to react to it but Helen Mirren was critically acclaimed right from the start. Naomi Watts in comparison has been universally panned.

The Kings Speech is another royal movie that was met with huge acclaim for all its stars.

This movie didn't need to happen for the simple fact its too much of a touchy subject and as someone already said we seen it unfold before our eyes so didn't need to daft remake to remind us.

The Americans might treat it better but I doubt it will be getting any Oscars.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    The only reason the movie was made is because she is dead. That is it lets not beat around the bush.

Kate Middleton is of deserving of a movie as Diana.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ It's been done. You must have missed the masterpiece that was William & Kate!
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    ^ It's been done. You must have missed the masterpiece that was William & Kate!

That actually looks more enjoyable yet it did not get a cinema release despite being more relevant than this Diana movie.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ I gather William & Kate was a straight-to-DVD/TV movie affair with the emphasis on the usual gloopy, airbrushed 'romance' these things are known for. It appeals to some, I suppose.

Doubt any distributor would be shameless enough to chuck it into theatres - although you never know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    It's looking like its going to be a total howler.

I'm going to watch it (although I won't pay to see it) for all the wrong reasons - I'm hoping it will, at the very least, be so bad it's unintentionally hilarious.

I do feel the real Diana deserves much better though. I'm far from a fan but to have a movie like this mad about her is just sad and wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I gather William & Kate was a straight-to-DVD/TV movie affair with the emphasis on the usual gloopy, airbrushed 'romance' these things are known

Yep! It was a TV movie.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to see it out of curiosity, but having seen the trailer, I don't think I can put myself through it. It looks awful. Why have they turned it into some love story? I thought it was actually going to be a story about her life, rather than focusing on one thing that no-one really knows anything about? I wonder what Harry and William think of it all.
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Yep! It was a TV movie.

Why is this not a TV movie.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why won't they make a movie about her warts and all, her affairs, abortion, rumoured drug use and her stalkerish obsession with Khan, she is dead so let's have some truth about her and her sordid life.

Not sanitised rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I wanted to see it out of curiosity, but having seen the trailer, I don't think I can put myself through it. It looks awful. Why have they turned it into some love story? I thought it was actually going to be a story about her life, rather than focusing on one thing that no-one really knows anything about? I wonder what Harry and William think of it all.

I know, it's bizarre. I would have rather seen a story about her struggles to fit in with the royal family and her troubled marriage and her role as a mother than this gutter nonsense.

It's clear to everyone else but those who made the movie that it's just far too soon for a film about Diana. It's shameless that whoever wanted to do the project ignored all public feeling - and the feelings of William and Harry - for their own career. Disgusting.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ You have to remember that these things are very often made with primarily American audiences in mind. Their perceptions of her might be a little at odds with ours.

But with regards to the approach taken, I'd agree this is a film that really didn't need to be made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Why is this not a TV movie.

TV movies don't get Oscars. The makers of Diana want Oscars!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zora wrote: »
    I know, it's bizarre. I would have rather seen a story about her struggles to fit in with the royal family and her troubled marriage and her role as a mother than this gutter nonsense.

It's clear to everyone else but those who made the movie that it's just far too soon for a film about Diana. It's shameless that whoever wanted to do the project ignored all public feeling - and the feelings of William and Harry - for their own career. Disgusting.

You say public feeling but only ardent royalists give a damn, far better people have passed on than her leaving family behind for whom the press ect don't care about their feelings so why should that woman be an exception.

The movie is fluff that I agree and it should have been a warts and all take on her life tackling issues such as her abortion, her battle with anorexia. It could have touched on her endless affairs and her loveless marriage to a man she detested. We could have been given an insight into her addiction to recreational substances and how that impaired her mental health and judgement but we don't get any of the aforementioned we get fluff and that's why it will flop, a tell all would get bums on seats.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just sensationalism rowan hedge, where's your proof?
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reviews mean nothing when it comes to a movie like this. (Or any other perhaps...?)

Having said that, it might well be terrible. But Naomi Watts can act.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it feels to soon for a movie. I watched it happen in real time so I don't yet feel the need/want to watch a film about her.