Trailer for Diana

124»

Comments

• Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a poll that said 85% of people still want to see the 'Diana' movie, that's pretty impressive considering it's been absolutely slammed left right and centre. I noticed it's been advertised a lot on on TV too. I wonder how it will do at the box office?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much it will make this weekend
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Reviews mean nothing when it comes to a movie like this. (Or any other perhaps...?)

Having said that, it might well be terrible. But Naomi Watts can act.

A what now? It must be nice to have the money and time to go and see every film in order to make up your own mind but as both are limited for me, I'll choose to take account of the views of the major UK critics when deciding what what to see.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant.:D Even better would be the camera slowly zooming in on a man sitting in a gloomy office, his back to the camera. As the camera zooms in, the chair slowly swivels around to reveal Prince Phillip stroking a white cat sitting in his lap. He (Phil the Greek, not the cat) leans forward and speaks into a microphone on his desk: 'KIll them'. Cue Godfather stylee music, fade to black.

Naughty. :D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Some of the reviews:
    The leaden script focuses almost exclusively on a strikingly uneventful affair between two boring non-entities. One is a softly spoken Pakistani heart surgeon named Hasnat Kahn. The other is a characterless middle-class woman named Diana. It involves only mild hyperbole to argue that, had we not seen the poster, we’d find it hard to guess that Naomi Watts was playing the late Princess of Wales. Too short, too compact and not sufficiently posh, she comes across more like Tina Brown recovering from a recent general anaesthetic.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/review-diana-1.1533381
    Faced with conspicuously poor dialogue in the average script, most directors and actors might seek to disguise the shoddiness of what they’ve been given. Here the cast do the opposite: they milk every unintentional laugh in Stephen Jeffreys’ screenplay – and there are dozens – as if heaven-sent.

Take the line, “If you can’t smell the fragrance, don’t come in to the garden of love” – a quotation from the 13th century Persian poet Rumi, given to Khan (Naveen Andrews) to whisper to her in bed. It’s said with nary a splutter, not a hint of irony. If the movie had set out with the intention of cruel mockery of its subjects, it would be a triumph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10320728/Diana-review-A-special-class-of-awful.html

OUCH! :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Metro this morning gave it one star. Review:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/20/diana-yes-it-really-is-an-absolute-stinker-4055146/

In the print edition it was headed "Diana: A Shambles In The Wind".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    I read a poll that said 85% of people still want to see the 'Diana' movie, that's pretty impressive considering it's been absolutely slammed left right and centre. I noticed it's been advertised a lot on on TV too. I wonder how it will do at the box office?

Where do they get these figures from? They didn't ask me!! :(
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night - not great but nowhere near as bad as the one-star reviews suggest. Naomi Watts is very good - lots of cheesy dialogue and some scenes which stretch credibility but overall I enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night - not great but nowhere near as bad as the one-star reviews suggest. Naomi Watts is very good - lots of cheesy dialogue and some scenes which stretch credibility but overall I enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it, I was looking at some twitter comments and many were saying how it was quite a good film, some also saying the critics were far OTT.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    Saw a TV spot this morning and thought it looked ever so cheesy :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much it made at the box office for the opening weekend of it?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ According to The Indie it only made £623,051, ranking fifth for the weekend.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally seen it and what a stinker it truly is
    The directing is very ameuteurish or whatever the word is. I've seen people in my film class do better directing. The script is clunky. There are so many pointless scenes, especially the one where we see Diana nearly burn some baked beans. Naomi Watts give perhaps one of the worst performances i have seen by an actress who is meant to be playing a real life person (the other goes to Lindsey Lohan who played Liz Taylor last year). I can forgive the fact she looks nothing like her because it is impossible, but her voice, her body language, her mannerisms and even her walk are just so appalling and wrong. The sad part of it, is she is a fantastic very underrated actress who can pull off amazing performances. I wouldn't be suprised if this film doesn't ultimatley become what Halle Berry's Catwoman did to her career, which was ruin it and she has never been able to bounce back.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what william and harry think