Getting rid of the Shy Guide grid

the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone on here know of a way of getting rid of the new eight box grid that comes up when you press the 'guide' button on Sky HD, as it is really frustrating that you now have to click through several screens to get to the guide, when it used to just come straight up?

Any advice, most appreciated!

Comments

• muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone on here know of a way of getting rid of the new eight box grid that comes up when you press the 'guide' button on Sky HD, as it is really frustrating that you now have to click through several screens to get to the guide, when it used to just come straight up?

Any advice, most appreciated!
    Is pressing TV Guide twice really that big of a chore ?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several screens?
    Try TV guide button, then select button and there is the TV guide
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is pressing TV Guide twice really that big of a chore ?

It is for my mother, for whom I'm asking this question, as she has difficulty remembering long sequences of button combinations and you must admit, it is a pain in the arse, when you used to just press the 'guide' button and it would just go the channel grid and now they have added an entirely needless layer of extra bloody boxes, just to confuse everyone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is for my mother, for whom I'm asking this question, as she has difficulty remembering long sequences of button combinations and you must admit, it is a pain in the arse, when you used to just press the 'guide' button and it would just go the channel grid and now they have added an entirely needless layer of extra bloody boxes, just to confuse everyone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Just two press of buttons, as I said, TV Guide — Select. How is that a long sequence of button combinations?
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,740
    Forum Member
    Or 'TV Guide' twice
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press Back Up while watching live tv and it will take you to the channel you are on in the TVGuide.

Most time you only need to press it once, but if there's something in the screen like a red button icon you'll need to press it twice.
  • KeyserSozeKeyserSoze Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem seems to be following this update, that the button on the remote marked 'TV Guide' no longer actually does that directly! Whilst OK, it's no big deal to press the button twice, it's an extra step and the button no longer does what it says on the tin!
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KeyserSoze wrote: »
    The problem seems to be following this update, that the button on the remote marked 'TV Guide' no longer actually does that directly! Whilst OK, it's no big deal to press the button twice, it's an extra step and the button no longer does what it says on the tin!
    It does, it takes you to a screen that "guides" you through what to watch on both linear and ondemand TV.

Its a modern day TV Guide.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    It does, it takes you to a screen that "guides" you through what to watch on both linear and ondemand TV.

It's a pain in the arse.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »

it also allows you to quickly get to on demand (catch up, box sets, showcase and popular), search and get to planner quickly all in one place.
    so it is supposed to be an improvement.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't seem to have this (not that I particularly want it) how long has this been out? I have a Pace HD box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I don't seem to have this (not that I particularly want it) how long has this been out? I have a Pace HD box.

The R009 software which includes the new home page began rolling out to Sky/Amstrad DRX 890/895 boxes 3 weeks ago.

Pace Samsung and DRX780 boxes will be updated at some point in the comming months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    The R009 software which includes the new home page began rolling out to Sky/Amstrad DRX 890/895 boxes 3 weeks ago.

Pace Samsung and DRX780 boxes will be updated at some point in the comming months.

Its likely this will be the last time the older HD boxes, Pace Samsung and DRX780, will be updated.
    I cant see them getting any more updates after the R9 update, as they are struggling to cope with what they have.
    They will be like the Thompson boxes obsolete before they were meant to be!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »

thanks.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    it also allows you to quickly get to on demand (catch up, box sets, showcase and popular), search and get to planner quickly all in one place.
    so it is supposed to be an improvement.
    That's possible in the old version (current version for me).
    Press TV guide and you're in the TV guide.
    Press Red for On Demand and Blue for Search.
    So no real improvement there from what I can see.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it was just a misprint but I am loving the idea accidentally implanted by the heading of Sky offering us a 'Shy Guide' grid for the latest boxes.

Perhaps it could be a new sub menu where you can access programmes that you would rather not admit to anyone else in the family that you are addicted to watching? :)
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever thought this was a good idea is an idiot...

All to push on-demand and other sh!t down our throats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever thought this was a good idea is an idiot...

All to push on-demand and other sh!t down our throats.

On demand is part of TV now and the place it works best (that Ive seen anyway) is on a Sky box!
    I would like to see Sky do a hard sell of on demand to get loads of people to upgrade to a HD box, as Im sure a lot of people are put off a HD box due to them thinking they dont want or need HD!
    Sky would have to sell a HD box to some of those people without a HD sub though as they wouldnt be wanting it for HD! At the same time though they would be HD ready!
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the OP could do a forced update on the box and it would roll back to the old software for the time being?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Surely the OP could do a forced update on the box and it would roll back to the old software for the time being?

Yep they could.

But might as well get used to it sooner rather than later.
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some folk need to take a reality check. No wonder this country is in the brown stuff. Wow it takes one extra key press. Might make some couch spuds to burn an extra calorie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some folk need to take a reality check. No wonder this country is in the brown stuff. Wow it takes one extra key press. Might make some couch spuds to burn an extra calorie

Oh how true.

My first car had 4 forward gears, my present car has five, what a pain it is to use 5 gears instead of 4 why did they put 5 gears on my car?

My first TV controller was a sonic one by Phillips one click would flick through the channels one by one so why do we now have hand controllers that will adjust multiple features on a TV set? In fact my very first TV had no hand controller and I had to get off my arse to adjust anything on the TV even to change a channel, it is now a pain in the arse to actually find the hand controller:D
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm firmly in the unnecessary change camp as it changes the core functionality of the most used button on my remote.

I suppose this means the next revision of the remote will have the TV Guide button replaced with a Homescreen button while leaving the other three useless buttons unchanged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drabble wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the unnecessary change camp as it changes the core functionality of the most used button on my remote.

I suppose this means the next revision of the remote will have the TV Guide button replaced with a Homescreen button while leaving the other three useless buttons unchanged.

No I think Sky want to get rid of the Box Office button and change it to an on demand button, but that could only be done for new boxes as the very old boxes dont have on demand.
    I guess it would guide them to the showcase and Sky store sections of On Demand first though as that is whats in place of Box Office these days!

In fact with the Home screen already guiding you to all the places that Sky expect you to find content to watch.
    I think the Box Office button would be better as a TV guide button and the home screen button being in place of the current TV guide button!
    Or the buttons being Home Screen first, then a customisable button that could be ether TV guide, On Demand or planner, then the other two buttons staying unchanged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    So the real issue is that the software in the box has changed many times over the years but the remote hasnt?

The remote sadly needs updating but, IMHO, so does the box. A lot of the things that get added to the SKY guide could probably be done better if the box had been designed for it originally.

But with a huge user base that is not going to happen until they replace the box with something that is totally new (HD and 3D didnt achieve that).