Options

England are out of the World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    grah2702 wrote: »
    Flags coming down faster than a prostitutes knickers round where I live.

Made me chuckle but in all seriousness I don't envy pub landlords.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    The build-up to this World Cup was far more low key than previous tournaments. Our performances and results have explained and justified it. Why are so many people still so surprised, and apoplectic, we're not as good as we think we are?

I admit I thought we would lose one (v Urugauy), draw one (v Italy) and win one ( v Costa Rica) and it'd be very touch and go to progress out the group. It'd be just the thing for us to batter Costa Rica now after the damage has been done. I guess that would make this Englands equivalent to Scotlands 1978 gig.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    No. We only take joy out of England's failures when we are secretly worried that they might win it. Never had that worry this year.

Sure; must say that wasn't a criticism incidentally, I think the Scots are entirely justified to take pleasure out of England's misfortune with how they've had them shoved down their throats by the press across so many tournaments.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 3 attackers that scored the same number of goals in two games that a half-fit Suarez did in 85 minutes?

Saurez is a world class player, we haven't got one of those. I think our attack did fine over the 2 games. After playing Italy I think England fans were pretty happy with the attack, but over both games the defence and midfield were the weak link, especially Gerrard and Johnson.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Saurez is a world class player, we haven't got one of those. I think our attack did fine over the 2 games. After playing Italy I think England fans were pretty happy with the attack, but over both games the defence and midfield were the weak link, especially Gerrard and Johnson.

I think people were only happy with the Italy game because they believed Italy were one of the top teams.
    Knowing now that the two teams who won against England both lost to Costa Rica kind of puts a different slant on things.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew this would happen, but some idiots thought England would make the quarter finals or something, what a joke.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people were only happy with the Italy game because they believed Italy were one of the top teams.
    Knowing now that the two teams who won against England both lost to Costa Rica kind of puts a different slant on things.

Don't think it does, I think you're putting Costa Rica down there. Still think Italy and Uruguay are top teams but Costa Rica have been brilliant so far. Real surprise. England wouldn't have stood a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    hannah wrote: »
    Are we really surprised though

Nope :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    All we need now is Andy Murray out in the first week and it will be another fun loving summer of British sport.

That won't be another disappointment.
    Surprising how AM is rated in the UK media. He's crap. One lucky result.
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    I hope Mrs Rooney didn't unpack all her 500 suitcases!
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it's bad for the uk economy as well, the supermarkets desperate for custom will probably put the beer prices back up again.

Suppose there probably won't be a rush to get away from work Tuesday either now
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith1 wrote: »
    That won't be another disappointment.
    Surprising how AM is rated in the UK media. He's crap. One lucky result.

You must have missed the 2012 US Open and the last Olympics.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I suppose it's bad for the uk economy as well, the supermarkets desperate for custom will probably put the beer prices back up again.

Suppose there probably won't be a rush to get away from work Tuesday either now

Yep. It's a real downer. Pubs and supermarkets will feel it.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. We only take joy out of England's failures when we are secretly worried that they might win it. Never had that worry this year.

PS: The YES campaign would have been boosted if England had gone all the way and we had to put up with weeks of coverage!

You're quite right. They will feel some affinity with the concept of abject failure by the national football team.;-)
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylegs wrote: »
    I hope Mrs Rooney didn't unpack all her 500 suitcases!

Perhaps they will accidentally get put on a plane to Alaska.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it does, I think you're putting Costa Rica down there. Still think Italy and Uruguay are top teams but Costa Rica have been brilliant so far. Real surprise. England wouldn't have stood a chance.

Costa Rica have played well, but they've had two major things in their favour compared to England.

They didn't have to play against Saurez when they played Uruguay plus when they played Italy, the Italian's played like they couldn't give a damn. In stark contrast, Italy while they were not brilliant against England, they played with real intensity and effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thought we'd get out of the group. I don't know if some of your extreme cynical sides wont allow you to think two weeks back but ENgland not getting out the group wasn't the mindblowingly obvious prospect people here would lead you to believe.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, attack were pretty good. You might be suffering amnesia as everyone was saying after the Italy game the attack was great and its something we'd never seen in an England side for ages. Last night and the Italy game, the defence and midfield were the problem, not the attack.

England showed promise of what they could be in the Italy game.
    But you need to get the goals, and you've got to stop the goals going in at your own end.

The very good performance in that game served to paper over the flaws and weaknesses which became all too evident in the second.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Costa Rica have played well, but they've had two major things in their favour compared to England.

They didn't have to play against Saurez when they played Uruguay plus when they played Italy, the Italian's played like they couldn't give a damn. In stark contrast, Italy while they were not brilliant against England, they played with real intensity and effort.

It could be said that Costa Rica forced those teams to play in the way that they did.
    People are still undermining the achievements of Costa Rica by putting it down to things like pure luck.
    It's this complacent thinking that is often the downfall of England.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    After being all inspired by the 2012 Olympics, i am now going to use this World Cup to start eating biscuits again

The good thing about the Olympics are that if one competitor or team isn't living up to the hope and hype you just turn your gaze to another sport where someone else can pick up the slack. But in football there's nowhere to hide and nobody to take the spotlight away.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    The Scots must be loving this.

Has Alex Salmond used England's elimination as ammunition for the "Yes To Independence" campaign yet?

No, but if you point out to him that Scotland didn't even qualify, no doubt he'd say it's scaremongering, bullying and something something about the Tories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    The Scots must be loving this.

Has Alex Salmond used England's elimination as ammunition for the "Yes To Independence" campaign yet?

Has UKIP blamed it on the EU yet? :o:D
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were too slow passing from from the back ..until we can move skilfully from the back at speed like most of the better teams do well never be good !..itll be interesting how we play approach the Cost Rica game !
  • Options
    nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    You must have missed the 2012 US Open and the last Olympics.

Indeed; even a proven winner can't escape criticism.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you'd said before the tournament that England would have done as well as Spain, no one would have believed you.........