Options

Camerons '1000 new jobs per day' are all zero hours

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cameron on pmq has caimed there are 1000 new jobs per day whilst the Guardian has just reported 1000+ new zero hours jobs per day.

Do we now join the dots to claim we have a new job revolution,all being zero hours?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks the report a theGuardian.com blog referred to. The Bev G report is coincidental.

http://www.beverleyguardian.co.uk/news/national/zero-hours-contracts-rise-to-1-8m-1-7125194

"The number of zero-hours contracts has increased from 1.4 million to 1.8 million, new figures have revealed.....
    "The findings today that there are now 1.8 million zero-hours contracts and that the number of people reporting they are on a zero-hours contract for their main job has risen by almost 20% is yet another stark illustration of a recovery which is not working for working people."

University and College Union general secretary Sally Hunt said: " The use of zero-hours and other forms of casualised contracts in education is one of the great scandals of our time. Without a proper contract staff cannot plan their lives on a month-to-month or even a week-to-week basis.""
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/05/zero-hours-contracts-cover-1m-uk-workers

So August 2013 to February 2015 we have 800,000 new Zero hours contracts, that also making for over 500,000+ per year.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Cameron on pmq has caimed there are 1000 new jobs per day whilst the Guardian has just reported 1000+ new zero hours jobs per day.

Just because you are on Zero Hour contract doesn't mean that you are doing zero hours per day. Zero is the minimum not the maximum.

There are also many non-ZHC jobs being created. I started a new job in December as my sector is picking up and I'm certainly working more than zero hours per day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

Conversely, you can technically have zero unemployment if everyone was on a zero hours contract and usually working zero hours.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever came up with the headline is confusing contracts and people...

There were 608,000 more people in work compared to previous year (ONS)

There were 113,000 additional people employed on zero hour contracts compared to the previous year (ONS) [caveat - It is not possible to say how much of the increase between 2013 and 2014 is due to greater recognition rather than new contracts]

As a maximum, ZHC's account for 18.6% of all new people in work since last year.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of said jobs will have people earning the minimum income threshold?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/19/british-families-poor-society-income-level-cost-of-living-benefit-cuts

Also how many of said jobs created, will require in work benefits?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    I wonder how many of said jobs will have people earning the minimum income threshold?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/19/british-families-poor-society-income-level-cost-of-living-benefit-cuts

Also how many of said jobs created, will require in work benefits?

Probably a lot - but surely the good news is that the total benefits bill is being reduced? IOW, if these people weren't in work, we'd be paying more in benefits...
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Probably a lot - but surely the good news is that the total benefits bill is being reduced? IOW, if these people weren't in work, we'd be paying more in benefits...

But is the benefit bill going down, well lets see what the government said people who do the right thing will be looked after. So freezing in work means tested benefits is looking after people people. And now giving working people punishments if they dont work enough hours or earn enough money.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

The benefits bill is only falling back to the same level as it was in 2008, it's not really a reduction per say. However there's lot less income tax coming in than needed.

Also many are in self employment and 35% of them are earning less than £10000 a year, compared to 20% in 2008.

There's also no policies to reduce in work benefits from any of the parties too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    There is not enough work to go around because of mass immigration and advances in technology.

'As and when' employment and job sharing are the future.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Do we now join the dots to claim we have a new job revolution,all being zero hours?

It just another Tory attempt to massage the unemployment figures like they did in the 80s putting everyone on sickness benefits.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And are they horrendous a friend of my sister is on one with a large retailer her son was ill last week, the firm basically told her don't come in and don't bother coming back. They make her work hours she's not supposed to do add hours onto shifts with no notice. the poor thing is near a nervous breakdown she's informed the Job centre and they didn't give a rats arse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    And are they horrendous a friend of my sister is on one with a large retailer her son was ill last week, the firm basically told her don't come in and don't bother coming back. They make her work hours she's not supposed to do add hours onto shifts with no notice. the poor thing is near a nervous breakdown she's informed the Job centre and they didn't give a rats arse

I certainly couldn't work a zero hours contract. It would make me ill not know how much money I might have from one week to the next. Or not know when I was going to have to go in to work.

Any company that uses these in this way should be disbanded.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    There is not enough work to go around because of mass immigration and advances in technology.

'As and when' employment and job sharing are the future.

Spot on. Thanks to Labour this is the future - overpopulation, cheap labour and under employment. At least the Tories don't pretend to care.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better than paying them benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Better than paying them benefits.

Most will be on benefits as well anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly couldn't work a zero hours contract. It would make me ill not know how much money I might have from one week to the next. Or not know when I was going to have to go in to work.

So what sort of contract should a business such as a restaurant, theatre or events company use when they need extra staff for busy periods?

There is a good case for better regulating their use but they do work well for many people (students, mothers of young children and the semi-retired) who like the flexibility that they offer. If you banned ZHCs then you'd just go back to a system of casual labour and people working cash in hand.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Most will be on benefits as well anyway

But not wholly on benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    So what sort of contract should a business such as a restaurant, theatre or events company use when they need extra staff for busy periods?

There is a good case for better regulating their use but they do work well for many people (students, mothers of young children and the semi-retired) who like the flexibility that they offer. If you banned ZHCs then you'd just go back to a system of casual labour and people working cash in hand.

But we have flexiblity laws they came in last year for everyone has the right to ask to go on flexable working. And flexibilly rules are not the same as ZHC http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness-28078690&ei=YxvuVKrtJIGpUv_WgpgB&usg=AFQjCNHOtctbFU13K7zX3vP1TTZoJnSIXg&bvm=bv.86956481,d.d24&cad=rja Every employee now has the right to request flexible working hours after the government extended the right previously reserved for carers and those looking after children.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member

So as far as you are concerned, companies should be forced to organise their business organisation around your personal working preferences?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    But not wholly on benefits.

Does that not depend if they are getting the hours, because if not they will be on more benefits as the benefit cap does not apply to working people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    So as far as you are concerned, companies should be forced to organise their business organisation around your personal working preferences?

Well the idea is meant to benefit both parties, unless you belive they should only benefit the employer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Work should be there for us, not us there for work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If businesses were organised around koantemplation's working preferences they would never open their doors. He has said multiple times on these pages that he doesn't want a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work should be there for us, not us there for work.

Work should exist because there's a demand for whatever it is that the work is producing. Anything else is a sham.