Rabbit stolen...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,299
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello everyone...just need some help..

Some of you may remember me writing a thread about buying a pair of rabbitts...well i did...and so did a friend of my sisters...

Well one of her rabbits has been stolen...someone actually crept into her garden and stole one, we think they may have tried to steal the other. Neither of us thought anyone would want to steal a rabbit, so we didnt put padlocks on our hutches. She is devastated, and thats not an exaggeration, her younger siblings are incrediably upset, one of thems not stopped crying. This has upset me, and got me nervous, so i have a few questions.

Has this happened to you? What did you do? Who do you report it to?

She is thinking for the time being putting the hutch in her cellar, which is dry, so that the rabbitt is protected, she at the moment has no place anywhere else. She would then every morning put the rabbitt it in its run outside.

Is that o.k?

If she was to keep rabbitt inside, once she's made space, what would she put it in?

OR she is wondering if a shed would be good, with a padlock, would that be thief proof?

Also finally she wants toget the rabbit that was not stolen, company...is it a good idea introducing one or twomore rabbits? Any advice appreciated:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone? Do we ring the vets?
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massagatae, I'm so sorry to hear of the theft. How anyone can be rotten enough to steal a family pet is beyond me.
    Sadly, Iam told that this happens quite often.
    I would phone the police personally and give them all the details. Posters giving details and if possible a photo could also be put up in the area and if the thief has dumped the poor rabbit then someone may just find him/her and contact you. Local rescues/vets could be called too in case the rabbit is wandering and gets handed in after being abandoned, just a thought.
    My rabbits are contained in hutches inside a large shed, with a padlock. During the day I put them out in the garden run but only if I'm nearby. My rabbits were microchipped free of charge at the same time they were neutered.
    Sadly, nothing is 100% burglar proof, but things can be done to reduce the risk of the scum gaining accesss!
    Has she thought about keeping the remaining rabbit inside as a house rabbit with a litter tray? Many people do keep them like that and the little one could still have garden time in a secure run.
    I do hope there is good news.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was someone seen stealing it or could a fox have got it or it have run off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massagatae, I'm so sorry to hear of the theft. How anyone can be rotten enough to steal a family pet is beyond me.
    Sadly, Iam told that this happens quite often.
    I would phone the police personally and give them all the details. Posters giving details and if possible a photo could also be put up in the area and if the thief has dumped the poor rabbit then someone may just find him/her and contact you. Local rescues/vets could be called too in case the rabbit is wandering and gets handed in after being abandoned, just a thought.
    My rabbits are contained in hutches inside a large shed, with a padlock. During the day I put them out in the garden run but only if I'm nearby. My rabbits were microchipped free of charge at the same time they were neutered.
    Sadly, nothing is 100% burglar proof, but things can be done to reduce the risk of the scum gaining accesss!
    Has she thought about keeping the remaining rabbit inside as a house rabbit with a litter tray? Many people do keep them like that and the little one could still have garden time in a secure run.
    I do hope there is good news.

The family was incrediably upset...they'd got attached to them both...i honestly can't understand why someone would steal it.

They've rung police, and vets and RSPCA today. Whats microchipping?

I dont thinks she wants a house rabbitt... some of her siblings have bad hayfever.

Looking at the RSPCA site they prefer rabbitts to be kept in pairs....should another female be bought to keep her company? They've decided to buy a shed, with a padlock, hopefully that will work...

Thankyou
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    was someone seen stealing it or could a fox have got it or it have run off?

No one was seen stealing it....but the cage door was open, and they have this net over the front, that had been lifted up
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massagatae wrote: »

They've rung police, and vets and RSPCA today. Whats microchipping?

Looking at the RSPCA site they prefer rabbitts to be kept in pairs....should another female be bought to keep her company? They've decided to buy a shed, with a padlock, hopefully that will work...

Thankyou

A microchip is more commonly used on cats & dogs but also rabbits are now encouraged to be chipped too. The microchip is tiny similar size to a grain of rice and is inserted usually between the shoulder blades. It takes seconds and is no more painful than a standard injection.
    Once an animal has been microchipped it has its own unique code number. The owner's details and the code are put on to the national PetLog database. If a lost or stolen animal is found, the code will be revealed by passing a scanner over the microchip. Then it's just a matter of matching the code with the PetLog database.
    The average cost is around £25 with a vets but sometimes the RSPCA does offers for £10 or even free chipping when promotions are on.
    As for getting another female rabbit to go with the current one I would advise that both females are spayed because otherwise two un-neutered females can fight just as viciously two males when they reach sexual maturity. Also, it's not a good idea to have just one fixed because the un-neutered rabbit could continue to attack the other one.