Why I've stopped watching Eastenders (Merged)

ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a life long fan of Eastenders. However I have recently stopped watching due to the recasts. The recasts of Lauren, Ben and Lucy are completely unnecessary. Even as a life long fan of Eastenders the recast of Lauren has taken me right out of the programme. And isn’t that the opposite effect an ongoing drama is supposed to have? I know recasts have happened before and I think recasts should be left in the past as an embarrassing part of soap history. Lauren was already being played by an actress. There was no need to recast her. Recasts are insulting to the performer, insulting to the programme and insulting to the viewer. What is the point in an ongoing drama if actors who portray characters are suddenly going to be changed? If actors want to leave or have been fired then the programme should build that in to the story. When Madeline Duggen left the programme it could have been worked in to Eastenders by showing Max and Tanya struggling with the absence of their daughter.

To me, when an actor has left, their character has went with them. And their replacement is an embarrassing impostor , ruining the credibility of the show. When a recast happens it doesn’t just effect that particular character, it effects every character they interact with. For example, when Lauren talks to Max I think “Max, what are you doing, that’s not your daughter”. As such Jake Wood’s acting talent is going to waste. Again, when “Lauren is interacting with Stacey I think Stacey “what are you doing, that’s not Lauren”. Watching Eastenders should be like dropping in on a community. But it can’t possibly be like that if characters are going to be replaced with “new heads.” The look of the show is what draws you in as a viewer. How something looks is the first thing people take in. And as such make their mind up if they are going to be open to the storylines. How realistic something looks dictates ones openness to accept it. Why should viewers have to make their selves struggle to accept a “recast”. What is the point in an ongoing drama if the makers are going to say “you know that character you’ve been watching for the past four years? Well she’s now a different person”. When a recast character is onscreen I can’t help but be reminded of how patronising it is to the viewer and how much little respect producers must have for the viewer and the integrity and credibility of the programme.

Recasts are possibly the ultimate insult to the viewer. I can’t imagine anything more patronising and condescending. It go’s to show in the world of soap nothing is credible and nothing is safe. What is the point in being a loyal viewer if a character your invested in is suddenly and pointlessly replaced. As if they never existed. It means a character someone is invested in could suddenly change. So what’s the point in investing any time on the show at all? I watched Eastenders when I was a wee boy and throughout my teens. But Eastenders has now lost me as a viewer. The introduction of the “new Lauren” was the last episode for me.

Comments

• craigymcraigym Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recasts are a fact of life in showbiz, though I agree probably too may in a short space of time on EE. Dont forget though that Charlie Brooks, Todd Carty and Barbara Windsor were all recasts and they worked out just fine. Hopefully the latest ones will grow on us.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on the recent recasts. Gotta watch out for some certain diehards on this forum though. They'll moan about you not posting in one of the remaining negative threads. What they should be more concerned about is why there is so much negativity this past month.

When they axed the Lucy actress because of her behaviour, I thought okay she's young but fine whatever. But why is it that Steve Mcfadden who's done something even worse, a guy who's over 50, gets away with it yet again? Just awful hypocrisy.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    I agree with you on the recent recasts. Gotta watch out for some certain diehards though on this forum though. They'll moan about you not posting in one of the remaining negative threads. What they should be more concerned about is why there is so much negativity this past month.

When they axed the Lucy actress because of her behaviour, I thought okay she's young but fine whatever. But why is it that Steve Mcfadden who's done something even worse, a guy who's over 50, gets away with it yet again? Just awful hypocrisy.

Because his been with the show longer, his character is more established and properly has a better ranking than Melissa plus he gets paid more his more of higher value to the show than Melissa.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i stopped watching after dirty den died the first time. it was getting a little silly after that. up to then the characters was good and the storylines ok. then it went into the mire where cory st went into after episode one . they both gone on for too long and it shows the mentality of people who wont miss an episode. ie the dont have any life !
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Because his been with the show longer, his character is more established and properly has a better ranking than Melissa plus he gets paid more his more of higher value to the show than Melissa.
    Oh, that's okay then. He might as well burn a random house next.

Seriously though, Melissa is the daughter of the longest serving character on the show. She became popular in her recent storylines, especially amoungst young viewers. Not many people would give a damn about what she does in real life, that's her business. But what's surprising to me is her character does much more extreme stuff like running away, getting pregnant etc. and we know some people can become extreme with certain characters, so it just defies all logic on why she would get sacked for having fun, where as Steve gets away with it again and again after having serious offences.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he shouldn't of got rid of Melissa suffield imo

Anyway EE isn't that bad at the minute, Glenda and and Carol are good. Although tbh EE doesn't have any s/ls coming up that I've heard of that make me think that I can't wait to watch that. Hollyoaks has (the murder s/l) Corro has the 50th and Emmerdale has Chas and Carl reveal but EE ??
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's okay then. He might as well burn a random house next.

Seriously though, Melissa is the daughter of the longest serving character on the show. She became popular in her recent storylines, especially amoungst young viewers. Not many people would give a damn about what she does in real life, that's her business. But what's surprising to me is her character does much more extreme stuff like running away, getting pregnant etc. and we know some people can become extreme with certain characters, so it just defies all logic on why she would get sacked for having fun, where as Steve gets away with it again and again after having serious offences.

Of course its not okay but you must see the difference on why Steve is given so much leeway compare to Melissa it doesn't matter if her character is the daughter of who ever, SF character is part of EE history and has or is popular with viewers and has been part of the biggest storylines to feature on the show no one else could play Phil his established this character as he own wherever his become shit or not, the problem with Melissa/Lucy is the fact she more expendable even though she has played her since she was a child, she easier to replace because the character hasn't come in her own, she isn't as well established even if she had a few storylines.

Who knows Steve might have lot of clout behind the scenes which is a possible explanation on why they give him so much freedom and still keep him on the show but it is really pointless comparing the two because Melissa is replaceable on the show why actors such as Steve/Phil, June/Dot or Adam/Ian are not, just how it is.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I hate recasts. I think they only work if the character has been gone for a while and then returns (like Suzanne Shaw as Eve in Emmerdale.) Otherwise it's too much to expect people to just accept the new actor.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you on the recent recasts. Gotta watch out for some certain diehards on this forum though. They'll moan about you not posting in one of the remaining negative threads. What they should be more concerned about is why there is so much negativity this past month.

I know what you mean! :D

The reason I created a thread about this in particular is because I was thinking about sending the first post as a letter to the BBC. And I thought I'd get some feed back about it here first.

Thats true! I never thought about that. Steve Mcfadden was in the tabloids about that whole dogging thing and he wasn't fired. Nor should he have been. Actors should be allowed personal lives. I don't care what they get up to. Melissa shouldn't have been sacked. And even if they do fire an actor the character shouldn't be recast. Melissa Suffield was Lucy.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been more “regenerating” in Eastenders than in Dr Who! Eastenders is the embarrassing mess I knew it would be as soon as I heard a hollyoaks producer was going to be let louse on it. As soon as I heard that I cupped my head in my hands and thought “have the BBC gone mad?” The prestigious and world renowned BBC have no business employing an ex hollyoaks producer. It’s like NASA employing someone to make space shuttles because they like making model rockets. The NHS employing an 8 year old because they like to play doctors. I couldn’t possibly find Eastenders engaging at the moment because “the new Lauren” is a white elephant. A big fat F you to the audience.:mad:

And (for those still soldiering on) there’s two more recasts to go!

You know who does need recast? Brian Kirkwood!
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,952
    Forum Member
    There has been more “regenerating” in Eastenders than in Dr Who! Eastenders is the embarrassing mess I knew it would be as soon as I heard a hollyoaks producer was going to be let louse on it. As soon as I heard that I cupped my head in my hands and thought “have the BBC gone mad?” The prestigious and world renowned BBC have no business employing an ex hollyoaks producer. It’s like NASA employing someone to make space shuttles because they like making model rockets. The NHS employing an 8 year old because they like to play doctors. I couldn’t possibly find Eastenders engaging at the moment because “the new Lauren” is a white elephant. A big fat F you to the audience.:mad:

And (for those still soldiering on) there’s two more recasts to go!

You know who does need recast? Brian Kirkwood!
    a lot of people said charlie jones was a crap actor. melissa got sacked for bad behaviour
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do admit, The past few months of Eastenders has been rather terrible but as i am a big fan, I won't give up on it yet, I will decide on the show after i see the Christmas and New Year storyline and from what i have read it looks promising..I also am hoping they makers know the past while it ain't been good and have lined up some great moments to come, Brian Kirkwood did great things for Hollyoaks but as it's a far smaller rated show it is kinda different..Eastenders gets 8 - 11 million viewers daily (when not head to head with Emmerdale ha) It must be a hard job with such a big cast and also picking up from where the old producer left off..he has to tie storylines up but from what i have seen, The silly storylines Brian has so far made up has been awful..I just hope they learn from this..
  • laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting how 3 people have been/are being recast in the past 12 months! :eek:
    Secondly, I hate how storylines are now being sidelined such as Whitneys prostitution.
    Then there is rubbish like the baby swap. Then we have annoying characters in our faces every episode e.g. Alfie Moon, Kat Moon etc. Then we've got Tanya who has turned into a stuck up little bitch. Then we have actresses quitting because of crap storylines.

It's a vicious circle.
    Then we have the destruction of the sets e.g. the cafe. Then we have teens that nobody can relate to anymore, however under Diederick Santer we had a lot of good teens that people could actually relate to e.g. Zsa Zsa, Leon, Peter, Lucy, Billie.
    Fatboy & Mercy have also changed and I do not like them as much anymore.
    We also had good storylines. Now there is just no hope.
    The writing is shite, characters have changed, characters that I once like, I now can't stand. :mad:

Awful, awful, awful.
    The idiot needs firing ASAP.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know how people can moan about the recasts
    The new Lauren and Ben are far better actors with much more stage presense than previously. I couldnt imagine old Ben having those scenes with Jay this week, they work so much better plus Charlie Jones got so much stick on this forum and everyone kept saying he needed to be recast. And if i recall Janine, Peggy and Mark were three characters that all got recasted and are three of the most successful Eastenders characters of all time. If you want to look at dodgy recasts then look no further than Nick Tisley in Corrie.
  • flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Secondly, I hate how storylines are now being sidelined such as Whitneys prostitution.
    Then there is rubbish like the baby swap. Then we have annoying characters in our faces every episode e.g. Alfie Moon, Kat Moon etc. Then we've got Tanya who has turned into a stuck up little bitch. Then we have actresses quitting because of crap storylines.

It's a vicious circle.
    Then we have the destruction of the sets e.g. the cafe. Then we have teens that nobody can relate to anymore, however under Diederick Santer we had a lot of good teens that people could actually relate to e.g. Zsa Zsa, Leon, Peter, Lucy, Billie.
    The writing is shite, characters have changed, characters that I once like, I now can't stand. :mad:

Awful, awful, awful.

How have Fatboy and Mercy changed? I know they're on abit more but I wouldn't say they've changed.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a vicious circle.

Awful, awful, awful.

do you just try and find every place possible to moan about EastEnders? I think everyone's realised by now that you don't like it...
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a vicious circle.

Awful, awful, awful.

She's been taken away from the Square by someone who is technically acting like a pimp. It's back at the forefront of the show this week. It's only been off screen for two weeks.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    do you just try and find every place possible to moan about EastEnders? I think everyone's realised by now that you don't like it...

Quoted for truth - I agree with the above post. I too have noticed you do seem very keen to jump ino every anti-Eastenders thread you find on the board. It's gertting a little repetetive now.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigym wrote: »
    Recasts are a fact of life in showbiz, though I agree probably too may in a short space of time on EE. Dont forget though that Charlie Brooks, Todd Carty and Barbara Windsor were all recasts and they worked out just fine. Hopefully the latest ones will grow on us.

I think there has to be a big gap between one actor and another for a recast to have a hope of working. When I say a big gap, I mean months and months.

The re-casts of Lucy, Summer and Darren on Neighbours worked...why? There were years between the actors portraying them. The re-cast of Declan hasn't worked at all because the actors portraying him changed over night. Disaster. That is what has gone wrong with Ben and Lauren to. Established actors almost changed over night. It will be the same for Lucy and Peter to. Disaster. An insult to loyal viewers. It would be better to write the characters out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigym wrote: »

To be fair, Janine was a minor character back in the day.

Would a re-cast of Janine work if there was only a gap of three months between Charlie and whoever else? Probably not. Janine would need to be written out for years to allow viewers to forget Charlie because Janine is such a big character. Same for Malissa playing Lucy and Thomas playing Peter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No excuse. It is precisely because he gets paid more that Steve's behaviour is even more serious. His huge salary is paid for by the tax payer lets not forget that.

If you have a code of conduct for behaviour, it should be applied across the board otherwise it isn't fair. I suspect, I don't know, but Thomas's leaving could be linked to Melissa's sacking.;)
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But surely the message that`s giving is that its OK to behave atrociously if your character is established :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a vicious circle.

Awful, awful, awful.

I agree with all that...but I never liked Fatso or Mercy from the get-go...and now we have that drip...Jodie...dear God...:rolleyes:
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    The new Lauren and Ben are far better actors with much more stage presense than previously. I couldnt imagine old Ben having those scenes with Jay this week, they work so much better plus Charlie Jones got so much stick on this forum and everyone kept saying he needed to be recast. And if i recall Janine, Peggy and Mark were three characters that all got recasted and are three of the most successful Eastenders characters of all time. If you want to look at dodgy recasts then look no further than Nick Tisley in Corrie.

IMO agree with you about Lauren - but disagree totally about the new Ben actor. It might have worked if they had employed an actor who, at least, looked a bit like the old Ben and whose character had not changed so much as to be totally unbelievable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »

The new Lauren and Ben are dreadful. Ben is now mini-Phil...:yawn: