Options

Does EastEnders Cora have magical moral wisdom and insight?

Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
If she does were does she get it from and what is it based on?I think the writing for her is all over the place,ASBO granny,sharp tongued forthright moralist,encouraging her underage granddaughters to drink last year,moralising this year?Ann Mitchell is a great actress but i feel Cora is just being used more as a vehicle for clever quips a lot of the time.

Without more context I dont buy her as a moraliser with great insight and wisdom.Especially as half the time her own behaviour strays over the line.

So has she got magical moral wisdom and were does she get it?

Comments

• Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What context do you need? She has age and experience behind her, she has lived through good times and bad times; you don't need to take qualifications before giving advice to others, nor do you have to be perfect yourself either. The fact she has made mistakes herself, like Pat, gives wider scope and adds weight to the advice she can give others as she is talking from experience.

Her character template is closer to Pat than Lou Beale but the fact she is the matriarch of a large family allows for comparisons to Lou as well. She has always been a mix of livewire/moral compass, when we first saw her I recall her giving advice to Tanya about something or other [the details are vague now and we've had lots of those Tanya/Cora stand-offs], while also getting p*ssed and making a fool of herself on Tanya's hen night.

Generally characters are more exaggerated in their debut, it's the same for returnees, then toned down later on. Cora as she was in April 2011 could not be sustained there had to be more of a balance if she was to exist as a regular. Initially she was supposed to be in just four episodes. Also she only got the job in the charity shop because of Tanya's cancer as a gesture, we often see her bunking off to go for a drink with Patrick, and we still see her drunk. You can't really form a rounded opinion of a character from four episodes and say that IS the character.
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Lots of wisdom in that woman. The square has need it. Hope she stays for a good long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, so long as 'magical moral wisdom' is just a kind way of saying she's an incoherent old drunk. :)
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    They seemed to turn her into the fount of all kindly wisdom when Dot left. From bedraggled, drunken asbo granny to smartly dressed Mother Teresa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Asbo granny bit seems to have been brushed under the carpet and the writers now want her to be some kind of mix of Pat -Pauline -Yoda
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, so long as 'magical moral wisdom' is just a kind way of saying she's an incoherent old drunk. :)

You read my mind!!

I do think the writing for Cora is patchy.Being an ASBO gran is a bit more than making mistakes in life that you learn from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    They seemed to turn her into the fount of all kindly wisdom when Dot left. From bedraggled, drunken asbo granny to smartly dressed Mother Teresa.

THIS! The transformation was too quick and elegnant to be believable.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    The Asbo granny bit seems to have been brushed under the carpet and the writers now want her to be some kind of mix of Pat -Pauline -Yoda

The ASBO granny was a stupid idea. I'm glad they've brushed it under the carpet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    The ASBO granny was a stupid idea. I'm glad they've brushed it under the carpet.

I get your point but it points out glaring inconsistency in the writing of characters.Quite sloppy and poorly thought through.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get your point but it points out glaring inconsistency in the writing of characters.Quite sloppy and poorly thought through.

Oh I agree, but there are times where things need to be forgotten about for the best, and this was one of those times.
  • Options
    IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think her being in a position where she need to care for people may have softened ehr a bit. Her actions now affect more than just herself again.

She probably sees where she went wrong, especially after Tanya falling ill, and sees the same thing happening again. In Lola she sees herself, I think.

Cora does have some Pat-qualities indeed, and that is what I like about her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cora goes around dispensing bad advice. She encouraged Lola to be more forceful and demanding with social services. Lola went in and threw papers off the social worker's desk and look where that got her. She encouraged Abi to place more value in being loyal to Lola (who's spent the best part of the year trying to steal her boyfriend) than respecting her mother. And then Abi got beaten up by Lola's delinquent ex-mates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeki wrote: »
    Cora goes around dispensing bad advice. She encouraged Lola to be more forceful and demanding with social services. Lola went in and threw papers off the social worker's desk and look where that got her. She encouraged Abi to place more value in being loyal to Lola (who's spent the best part of the year trying to steal her boyfriend) than respecting her mother. And then Abi got beaten up by Lola's delinquent ex-mates.

Bad advice and contradictory advice from one month or week to the next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Don't be so harsh - She is like Pat as she doesn't act like she knows everything. She gets things wrong and is a bit of a hypocrite but the character wouldn't be believable if she didn't'! Who'd want to see her getting it right all the time? She has lived life and can comment on Lola's situation in particular as she has made mistakes with her own daughters but knows that it's wrong for people to take your child away from you. I think her newest story line shows great promise - I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. but Tracey certainly does:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be so harsh - She is like Pat as she doesn't act like she knows everything. She gets things wrong and is a bit of a hypocrite but the character wouldn't be believable if she didn't'! Who'd want to see her getting it right all the time? She has lived life and can comment on Lola's situation in particular as she has made mistakes with her own daughters but knows that it's wrong for people to take your child away from you. I think her newest story line shows great promise - I'm looking forward to it!

Pat was in Eastenders for years and most of the people she gave advice to were well known to her as well as their families. Cora is trying to be a matriarch to a square full of people she barely knows. It's not always wrong for a child to be removed from a parent. Cora made that judgement knowing next to nothing about Lola's personality, history or parenting skills.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its just a case of the script writers giving her Dot's part when she decided to leave. I like the fact that she has an opinion. She isn't always right but who is?