Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

1120121122123124126»

Comments

• towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    One of the reasons shows such as Game of Thrones knocks spots off shows such as Merlin, Atlantis and Robin Hood is the use of modern speech and corny lines in the script.

Such lines as:

Character walking away from disaster brushing imaginary dust from hands: "That went well".

Character walking into danger: "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Character planning dangerous mission doomed to fail: "What could possibly go wrong?"

Expressions such as "No way".

Again, you're comparing family show Atlantis - which has to appeal to children - to primetime adult shows. You need to stick with Merlin, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Primevil and Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it comes to comparisons.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Again, you're comparing family show Atlantis to primetime adult shows. You need to stick with Merlin, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Primevil and Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it comes to comparisons.

I wouldn't even throw Buffy alongside family shows such as Merlin, dr who, robin hood etc. Buffy wasn't a family show but it wasn't as adult as GOT.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, you're comparing family show Atlantis - which has to appeal to children - to primetime adult shows. You need to stick with Merlin, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Primevil and Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it comes to comparisons.

The fact that they are family shows do not excuse lazy script writing and bad dialogue.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that they are family shows do not excuse lazy script writing and bad dialogue.

I didnt think Merlin had any bad writing or bad dialogue. Primeval was ruined by cast changes. Robin hood was hit and miss in quality. Doctor who is in a major decline but then that is a whole other debate or personal opinion.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member

Monsters, Fantasy, Atlantis mythology undertones - Sounds like Stargate (in assorted guides) to me, as a family comparison show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed but GOT is still an adult show..

Which family shows do you think were good?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,664
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    I think the general argument is being made that Atlantis has been disappointing...
    Well that's fair comment then. It is, of course, also subjective. But it got enough viewers to gain a second season so it can't be that common a consensus :)
    ...and they are challenging it's right to exist in times of change/turmoil and attacks on all side at the BBC...
    Huh? :confused:
    (largely driven by politicians and others with anti-BBC agenda's to pursue) who should just keep their damn fingers out of the BBC.
    Absolutely right.
    You may not like RS or PB, but it's hard to argue against them being better produced, better acted, have a much better written script/screenplay, have a coherent story arc etc than the rather amateurish Atlantis.
    Having never seen any of other of them I wouldn't be able to comment.
    The self-evident fact that the same film lot in Wales can produce the, after you come to terms with the historical, scientific and other liberties being taken, the awesome Da Vinci's Demon's, also produces the poor Atlantis.
    Never saw Demons so can't comment but your opinion is simply that; and a subjective one. Atlantis isn't even trying to be Demons.
    Other UK/Ireland produced/originated shows like Outlander, GoT, Penny Dreadful even Sky's romp of Strike Back. etc also show up Atlantis for being rather weak in most aspects.
    No. They're just different.
    One of the reasons shows such as Game of Thrones knocks spots off shows such as Merlin, Atlantis and Robin Hood is the use of modern speech and corny lines in the script.

Such lines as:

Character walking away from disaster brushing imaginary dust from hands: "That went well".

Character walking into danger: "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Character planning dangerous mission doomed to fail: "What could possibly go wrong?"

Expressions such as "No way".
    Except that you wouldn't expect those sorts of lines in GOT but the are expected in Atlantis, etc. (And even appeared in Stargate!)

You are unfairly comparing apples with oranges.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter who the audience is you are aiming for, whether it is adult (GoT), young adult (Buffy), family (Dr Who) or children-ish (SJA), you would still expect the writing to be coherent and interesting. Atlantis took a wonderful premise and made it as ordinary and as everyday as they could. There is no internal logic (Hercules AND Pythagoras with a modern day Jason who seems to have completely forgotten he comes from contempory Earth?) with characters doing whatever the script needs them to do.

Jason can't use a sword well.... actually now he can... no wait a minute he's useless again. Hercules is a cumbersome oath who can barely jump and.... hang on.... he's now clearing a bull with ease because..... ummm...... well, lets move on. Look at the stunning desert scenery as Jason strolls to the rather Welsh, cold looking woods. And the stories. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. They could have created an intriguing mystical, world but it could be anywhere. Hell, we rarely get any reminders that this is Atlantis, the famous island that sunk. Trees and CGI desert is about our lot.

I can understand why they may want to shun away from magic a bit seeing as the writers have just finsihed mauling.... I mean writing..... Merlin but the little bit of magic is the only difference we have seen to ancient Greek/Mediterranean culture so far. What about the Antikythera mechanism as an idea to explore lost technology? A clockwork culture that history forgot. Or what about the Gods? A whole pantheon of characters left unexplored.
    The whole thing has just come across bland and dull. The sets, the costumes, the actors and the stories. It's just soooooo disappointing and a waste of an opportunity. There are probably countless better writers out there than the dire Capps & Murphy who could have done this justice. Now we will never know.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They sound a tiny bit desperate :o

"Please watch, its all different, please, we'll be good this time" :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

This looks very interesting.

Personally I get a bit depressed with darker-themed series. Some of them are excellent but there are times when I just like a nice light-hearted romp where I don't have to worry about the main characters potentially dying all the time. Atlantis, if nothing else, was at least that.

I'm not sure I like the idea of dialling down the fantasy element either as that's what I am most drawn to.

Still, I shall keep an open mind until I've seen it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »

Personally I get a bit depressed with darker-themed series. Some of them are excellent but there are times when I just like a nice light-hearted romp where I don't have to worry about the main characters potentially dying all the time. Atlantis, if nothing else, was at least that.

I'm not sure I like the idea of dialling down the fantasy element either as that's what I am most drawn to.

The fantasy element was always a little bit muted in this anyway (rubbish Minotaur and a little bit of black magic aside). Not sure if the budget's been cut so they are scaling back on effects. Just don't see the point of it being called 'Atlantis' though if they are just gong to do some kind of mashed-up historical program. I think it might have raised peoples interest last season (and possible this) with the Atlantis tag only for it to be a bit of a let down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to twitter, it looks like some tv critics have viewed episode 1 of the new series already and are confirming what the cast have been saying - that it's darker, grittier, more stylish and "smarter" which is a positive start. One says that if you gave up on S1, you must give S2 a watch because it has improved, so far.

Jack Donnelly mentioned in an interview that they've dropped the "buddy show" element of the series - not entirely of course but significantly - which adds to the change of tone.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to twitter, it looks like some tv critics have viewed episode 1 of the new series already and are confirming what the cast have been saying - that it's darker, grittier, more stylish and "smarter" which is a positive start. One says that if you gave up on S1, you must give S2 a watch because it has improved, so far.

Jack Donnelly mentioned in an interview that they've dropped the "buddy show" element of the series - not entirely of course but significantly - which adds to the change of tone.

Hmm, might be worth me tuning back in.:blush:
    Forum Member
    They sound a tiny bit desperate :o

"Please watch, its all different, please, we'll be good this time" :D

OTOH...

"We've listen to the criticism and, also because we're on a bit later, we're changing things hopefully for the better."

Given what was said in that article, mine is actually closer to the truth :)
    Thrombin wrote: »

Just to say I agree with you.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Is it too late for them to have a story arc that has Jason gradually establishing a connection between his ancient and modern self? Even if leads to a Terminator style resolution?
    Forum Member
    As they're the same person (as established in the pilot) that wouldn't really be possible.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    of course they are the same person. But that is exaclty why it would prove an interesting aspect to the series to show him trying internally reconcile the two halves of himself.
    Forum Member
    Oh, right. Okay. I see what you meant now :)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post deleted - wrong thread - sorry.