The Sun: Rylan signed to present BOTS, show returning to 'social experiment' premise?

Comments

• VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What nonsense!

Being a social experiment is NOT what made is must-see telly.

BB has been promising "less (sic) wannabes" since at least as far back as bb3.
    "We've got some interesting people signed up this year - including some older folk. We don't just want a bunch of fame-hungry youngsters who only want to show off."

Yes, let's have some more Carole Vincents. That'll be fun! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    Return to the social experiment is what i've wanted more than the return of live feed.

BB3 and BB5 were my favourites and though the "social experiment" aspect kind of fizzled out in place of more bizarre stuff, they retained a certain aspect of it. I'm really interested in this years series. I pray to god it also means they ditch name tags, #hashtags and cocky Marcus... oh and the montages can sod off too.

BBs 3 and 5 were no more social experiments than the BBs that came after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RenThraysk wrote: »
    So is this what they call going more upmarket? :confused:

Emma Willis to Ryan Clark is definitely more down.

lol, it feels odd trying to visualise C5 and upmarket in the same sentence! ;)
  • mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I really wanted an actual tv presenter to host BBBOTS :(
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    mugwuff wrote: »
    I really wanted an actual tv presenter to host BBBOTS :(

All presenters are personalities too nowadays and they're as likely to end up on CBB and BOTS as guests as any other celeb.

I'm sure Rylan will do fine if he has indeed got the job.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Shoving a few oldies in makes it a social experiment?

We shall see.

I avoided BOTS in the last series and Rylan's alleged presence won't tempt me back.

That's not what they're saying, their saying as part of that the line up will be more varied, particularly age wise as fans have been complaining about it being too club 18-30.
    Forum Member
    happybbfan wrote: »
    maybe he will only front the weekend shows

From the sounds of it, he'll be doing the weekday ones, hopefully their article the other week about Emma still having a role will mean she does the weekend ones, saving us from him on Saturday and Sundays.
    Forum Member
    It's the ultimate nightmare for me. god know's I've tried to keep watching when that Rylan was in CBB but I can't take it anymore. Goodbye BB. :cry:

I'll just watch less BOTS, I can put up with him when it means Emma rather than Brian on the main show.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan is just involved in BOTS, doesn't necessarily mean he's hosting it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not what they're saying, their saying as part of that the line up will be more varied, particularly age wise as fans have been complaining about it being too club 18-30.

There's nothing in the article about fans complaining, though.
    LW09 wrote: »
    Rylan is just involved in BOTS, doesn't necessarily mean he's hosting it.

The article says he will be hosting ("fronting") it.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Yes, let's have some more Carole Vincents. That'll be fun! :confused:

Why does a housemate being older mean they'll be just like Carole? There was nothing in the quote you posted to suggest that. That's like saying all people of a certain age range are the same.

Similarly, being younger doesn't automatically make one a fame-hungry attention seeker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does a housemate being older mean they'll be just like Carole? There was nothing in the quote you posted to suggest that. That's like saying all people of a certain age range are the same.

Similarly, being younger doesn't automatically make one a fame-hungry attention seeker.

As I explained in a post in another thread, if past regular series are a guide, it seems to me that being over 40 is one of the most reliable indicators that a person will turn out to be a poor HM in one way or another.
    Forum Member
    There's nothing in the article about fans complaining, though.

I didn't say there was? But it was a large complaint about C5BB which the producers have acknowledged in the past and the decision to vary the age range as part of the de-wannabeing of the series is almost certainly in response to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I explained in a post in another thread, if past regular series are a guide, it seems to me that being over 40 is one of the most reliable indicators that a person will turn out to be a poor HM in one way or another.

Do you mean "poor" as in you personally don't like them or "poor" as in they didn't make much impression in the show (and when they did, you refer to them as an "over-rated minor character")? ;)

Regardless whether they make much overall impression in the show and get to be remembered as good HMs, in general it's good imo to have a little contrast and a different dynamic included in the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say there was?

OK, but it looked like you were: "That's not what they're saying, their saying as part of that the line up will be more varied, particularly age wise as fans have been complaining about it being too club 18-30.
    But it was a large complaint about C5BB which the producers have acknowledged in the past and the decision to vary the age range as part of the de-wannabeing of the series is almost certainly in response to that.

If they're listening to this forum, why have they picked Rylan to present BOTS?

Besides, older HMs can be wannabes (Mario, Susie) or worse (Carole at al).
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, Channel 5 are said to be turning Big Brother into more of a "social experiment", and including fewer wannabes in the house.

"The show needs to change and that's what we're doing. We want to get back to the essence of what made it must-see telly," the source added.

"We've got some interesting people signed up this year - including some older folk. We don't just want a bunch of fame-hungry youngsters who only want to show off."

BiB: The bit I've highlighted suggests that they've already decided on their HMs. But isn't it too soon for them to have decided yet? This makes me wonder whether the whole article is untrue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean "poor" as in you personally don't like them ...
    No. Note btw the "in one way or another" part.
    Regardless whether they make much overall impression in the show and get to be remembered as good HMs, it's good to have a little contrast and a different dynamic in the show.

As I said in the "More older housemates" thread, there are plenty of other ways to vary the HMs -- and they are likely to work better. The way people keep asking for older ones you'd think older HMs had the best track record in BB, rather than one of the worst.
    Forum Member
    OK, but it looked like you were: "That's not what they're saying, their saying as part of that the line up will be more varied, particularly age wise as fans have been complaining about it being too club 18-30.

If they're listening to this forum, why have they picked Rylan to present BOTS?

Besides, older HMs can be wannabes (Mario, Susie) or worse (Carole at al).

They're saying (in a round about way) the bit before the comma, the bit after is their unstated but obvious reasoning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Note btw the "in one way or another" part.

You still haven't explained what you mean by "poor" ..... whether "in one way or another", or otherwise! For example you cite walking as a reason to call Lesley Brain "poor", so for example do you also think Shabby (BB11) was "poor" (in one way or another)?
    As I said in the "More older housemates" thread, there are plenty of other ways to vary the HMs -- and they are likely to work better. The way people keep asking for older ones you'd think older HMs had the best track record in BB, rather than one of the worst.

I actually don't think there are that many ways to vary the HMs, so age mix is certainly a useful element I'd like to see them work harder at (not the only one, ofc). But I agree they don't seem to have had much success in finding the right older HMs (or mix) yet.

Then again I certainly would like C5BB to stop feeling like a club 18-30 experience. But whilst C5 remain so focused on that 16-34 demographic, I doubt you have much to worry about despite the Sun claims! ;)
  • happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    C5 have not confirmed anything yet
    even thought The Sun was right about Emma
    im treating most of this story with caution
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're saying (in a round about way) the bit before the comma, the bit after is their unstated but obvious reasoning.

Is it their reasoning, though? As I said, if they're listening to this forum, why have they picked Rylan to present BOTS?
  • racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just pleased Mrs East has gone....:)
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    BiB: The bit I've highlighted suggests that they've already decided on their HMs. But isn't it too soon for them to have decided yet? This makes me wonder whether the whole article is untrue?

I mentioned this on TiBB. I think they have already selected the housemates, but they just haven't told them yet, to avoid HM spoilers leaking and stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure Annette Edwards (aged 61, oldest Page 3 model) is one of the chosen housemates, considering she was scouted by researchers for the show and all of the talk about older HM's being brought up recently (and in the article).
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan Ross Clark ‏@RylanClark 6h

Stories today, I haven't confirmed anything yet, until I say it, all just rumours xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned this on TiBB. I think they have already selected the housemates, but they just haven't told them yet, to avoid HM spoilers leaking and stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure Annette Edwards (aged 61, oldest Page 3 model) is one of the chosen housemates, considering she was scouted by researchers for the show and all of the talk about older HM's being brought up recently (and in the article).

Figures that when they picked an older HM she'd still be a glamour model. :rolleyes: