Which Channel did Big Brother better? 154 votes

Channel 4 (2000-2010)
88% 136 votes
Channel 5 (2011-Present)
11% 18 votes

Comments

• Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    This really depends on whether you are asking about civilian BB or Celeb BB.

I would say that Celeb BB has been better on channel 5, we have had some great series whereas the later channel 4 series were just woeful.

Not so sure about civilian though
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 all the way.

More humour, better tasks that involved all HM's , more humorous BB voices,not so much outside information, what was said in the diary room stayed in the diary room, most of the time.

I really dislike C5's trend of replaying gossip to the HM's purely to cause friction and nastiness.One task shows how much better it could be when, the nastiness stopped for the duration and people, were more natural in their responses - ' that was my f****** fish, it was torn from my grasp'.- that was the one and only time I laughed during the last BB.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I echo what Aura101 said. Civilian BB was MILES better on Channel 4, it's only BB14 that was IMO up there with great CH4 BB episodes.

Whereas for CBB, I think Channel 5 has been better. Not because of the line ups, but I have found them more entertaining. CBB9, CBB10, CBB13 and even CBB14 up until Frenchy's eviction was up there with the great of CBB4. The other CH4 CBB's haven't been all that, CBB1, CBB2, CBB5 for known reasons, CBB6 and CBB7 at times, have all been worse than CBB9, CBB10 and CBB13 in my opinion.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Channel 5. Having had 2 or 3 really good series 10 years ago does not cancel out the 8 or 9 years they didn't. Of course the company that did it first, made a success of it, and was in charge of it during it's prime, is going to have better series under it's belt than one that had to pick up the pieces after the mess the previous company made of it.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 have excelled themselves with CBB - not so with Civilian which they have completely sent to the dogs
  • Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CH4.....the holidays of BB especially when they had live feed.....but prefer CBB on CH5
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I find Ch5 BB's absolute desperation for drama borders on embarrassing.

Overall they have a frustratingly single-minded approach when it comes to BB.
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 for me - particularly for the summer show..

Better tasks (particularly the overnights), more LF, less manipulation of 'storylines' and showmances, less outside contact and information passed to hms.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5. Having had 2 or 3 really good series 10 years ago does not cancel out the 8 or 9 years they didn't. Of course the company that did it first, made a success of it, and was in charge of it during it's prime, is going to have better series under it's belt than one that had to pick up the pieces after the mess the previous company made of it.
    I'm saying Channel 5 too cos they do loads of stuff I like such as floating name tags (I can never remember the names :blush: ) and playing stuff back to them when they've been lying their butts off :D

I think it's all to easy to look back fondly on how things used to be but I remember some of the absolutely diabolical liberties Channel 4 took with the viewers and back then, they STILL pretended it was some kind of 'social experiment' :o >:(

Whatever people don't like about what C5 do - C4 did it first.

At least Channel 5 tout it as a game/entertainment show and don't pretend that it's anything else.

I like most of the C5 lineups and think if there was less of the meddling, reinstatement of proper LF and better tasks then they'd have a cracking great show on their hands - all very easily done.

Oh and they get additional kudos from me for SAVING a show that Channel 4 had decided to dump unceremoniously.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4.

More live feed, eviction interviews (bar finale ones) away from the outside crowd, Big Brother (and not Marcus) doing the eviction announcement, much better and more nostalgic end-of-series best bits at the finale, no added music / tacky effects ... just some of the things I preferred about C4's Big Brother.

Of course, some of these were changed with BB11. During C4's final series, the editing style was much more in keeping with what we have now (like the superhero effects during the Uber Cougar task), so I don't think that things would have been much different in terms of that had C4 kept the show.
  • ruffleruffle Posts: 4,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have gone with channel four I do think channel ;5have tried but it is no longer truly bb c5have taken over the show from the public there is far to much negativity towards the housemates to much rule breaking in fact the hm,s are never aloud to chill bb is creating trouble all the time the hm,s need to be from the general public to many were already known even if not very well known but models actors people known to the media reporters were are the telco workers the office workers the builders excetra
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    The Hey Day of C4 - Basically 2,3,5,6,7 were the best BB's with a slight renaissance for 9.

However Channel 5 do Celeb BB better, however barring BB14, the BB's haven't been the best, with 15 and 13 being the two worst series of the show for me.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C5 do better normal BB now than 4 did from BB8 onwards.
    C4 did better normal BB from 2002 -2006.

It is not fair to compare 4 normal BBs against 12 normal ch4 BBs.

Thats why I have chosen c5.
    BB12 was a mess
    BB13 was good and had some memorable hms.
    BB14 was brilliant.
    BB15 was poor.

If I pick the first 4 CH4 BBs
    BB1 was dull and boring
    BB2 was ok
    BB3 was brilliant
    BB4 was poor and dull.

Not much in them,but after BB7 CH4 made some of the wost series ever so as there was no choice to say both had good and bad I opted for 5 which has the potential to do more good series.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Civilian definitely four but for celebs I'd go with five. The celeb versions on four never really interested me.
  • LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the celeb series, Channel 4 had a much better, more well known pool of celebs. C5 has too many of these reality show zelebs from Essex, Geordie, Chelsea.

My two favourite series are the ones with Shilpa Shetty and Brigitte Nielson.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Channel 4.
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 make a much better celebrity series. Only CBB4 and CBB3 are good seasons from the channel 4 era. Whereas from the channel 5 era we've had CBB9,CBB10,CBB13 and CBB14 and even though its not a classic, CBB12 was better than CBB1,2,5,6 and 7.

However Channel 4 were much better at the civillain series. BB14 has been the only classic series from channel 5's era so far
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regular BB: Channel 4.
    Celebrity BB: Channel 5.
  • TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Regular BB: Channel 4.
    Celebrity BB: Channel 5.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue against this.

We had 7 CBBs on Channel 4 and 7 CBBs on Channel 5; there's only been two hugely weak C5 CBBs (8 and 11) but most of the Channel 4 ones were weak (apart from the CBB3-4 golden era classics)
  • LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 of course! Live feed, Big Brothers Little Brother, Big Mouth, thoughtful tasks, better housemates, twists, etc. Things did change in the final years but overall C4! I will however say it did come to a natural end on the channel.

C5 - I dunno it just feels much cheaper/trashier, BBOTs is horrendous sometimes, housemates are all the same, twists are extremely poor.. They may as well have a laptop in the house with all the outside info they get. BB is much, much softer - pretty much no rules and punishments (if there's any) are complete rubbish.

I've enjoyed CBB on both channels. Lastly C5 have a chance to change my mind and I hope they do!
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    C4, I never switched off any BB/CBB even BB4 and BB8.

C5 on the other hand I switched off BB13 and BB15, I watched most of BB12 but not ever episode like I did on C4, only BB14 held my interest through out its run.

Unlike most posters so far I also prefer CBB on C4. If C5 had left CBB in January and only January I might have agreed that C5 have done CBB better but overall most late summer CBB on C5 have been poor but most CBB in January have been good, overall because of CBB overkill on C5 I prefer C4 CBB.

The other big plus for C4 is the fact that for 10 series of BB they had 24/7 live feed something C5 has never done.
  • GracelandGraceland Posts: 8,158
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 was the better of the two.
  • BloodRayneBloodRayne Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 :)
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4