What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up. Don't know who will be interested, but Amazon have a great deal on at the minute for

1000 Greatest Novels Ever Written - Largest eBook ever - Complete Collections of Wizard of Oz,Jane Austen,Holmes,Shakespeare,James Joyce,Plato,Edgar Poe,Anne Stories,Beatrix Potter with 36 Audio Books [Kindle Edition]

for £1.99. Well worth adding to any collection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Now reading Lost Days of Summer by Katie Flynn, yeah I know, fiction lite, but it's good, promise!:)
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Not Really Here by Paul Lake: The autobiography of the ex-Manchester City player forced out of the game through injury just when he was on the verge of breaking into the England squad.

It was given rave reviews in the likes of the Independent, the Guardian and the Telegraph and more than lives up to them. I'm very much enjoying it.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book I've just finished, 'Marilyn' by Norman Mailer, had good reviews: eg 'Genius....a feat.' 'Brilliant' The New York Times. First published in Gt.Britain in 1973 as an illustrated book with the title 'Marilyn: A Biography. The edition I read had a 2012 copyright.

Even making allowances for the era in which it was written, I found it a load of sexist nonsense. Not only that it rambled and went off at tangents. At times I hadn't a clue what he was actually going on about - and I'm a huge Marilyn Monroe fan and know a lot about her life and films. It wasn't even a proper biography and even he called it a novel. This was a library book and just when I was starting to lose interest in it I noticed the person before me had turned a corner of that page and scribbled something on it - obviously they struggled with this book too! I read on grimly hoping it would improve -it didn't.....
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Maria McCann - The Wilding
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl — My Story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up. Don't know who will be interested, but Amazon have a great deal on at the minute for

1000 Greatest Novels Ever Written - Largest eBook ever - Complete Collections of Wizard of Oz,Jane Austen,Holmes,Shakespeare,James Joyce,Plato,Edgar Poe,Anne Stories,Beatrix Potter with 36 Audio Books [Kindle Edition]

for £1.99. Well worth adding to any collection.

Great find, thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Hive by Gill Hornby. Loved it! Now torn between Adele Parks - The State We're In and Kate Atkinson - Life After Life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Haunted Liverpool series of books by Tom Slemen. I've found them riveting. As well as including true life stories of ghosts and hauntings, in these books there's many true life paranormal mysteries, and the stories are so creepy - and very very scarey - or genuinely thought provoking.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone I don't have time to read through every page of this thread but can anyone tell me the name of that book a few people were talking about on here, I saw a while ago. Set in the 18th or 19th century about two sisters who are psychic or do tarot cards or something like that and even the queen gets involved? Ringing any bells?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Everyone I don't have time to read through every page of this thread but can anyone tell me the name of that book a few people were talking about on here, I saw a while ago. Set in the 18th or 19th century about two sisters who are psychic or do tarot cards or something like that and even the queen gets involved? Ringing any bells?

The Blackheath Seance Parlour by Alan Williams.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Visions In Death - J D Robb
    I've got into the habit of reading this series. The storyline is pretty much the same, except for the names, but it's characters that stand out for me, only. and how the regulars have developed from book one
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Blackheath Seance Parlour by Alan Williams.

Thank you so much!!!! :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Thank you so much!!!! :)

No probs.

He did a signing in my local Waterstones last night. I did have a look but it was really busy and I couldn't be bothered to wait around.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe- I can't believe I haven't read it before- I've seen the film though :o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone- new round these parts so hope you don't mind me dropping in :)

I've just read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness after hearing good things from other people- read the whole thing in one go and could barely see the page for tears by the time I got to the end :cry: Fantastic book; I don't have enough superlatives to do it justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading 'wayward' by Blake Crouch, the sequel to the brilliant 'pines' (wow, my auto correct just changed that to 'pubes'!)

Anyway I'm really enjoying it, and don't want it to end, I think both are pretty cheap on Amazon for kindle so well worth a look.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gravity by Tess Gerritsen.

is that a new one??:D i love her books:D

Dorothy L sayers "Gaudy Night" on my kindle:D
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gymnastic wrote: »
    Hello everyone- new round these parts so hope you don't mind me dropping in :)

I've just read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness after hearing good things from other people- read the whole thing in one go and could barely see the page for tears by the time I got to the end :cry: Fantastic book; I don't have enough superlatives to do it justice.

I agree a lovely book. I'm reading his new one at the moment, More Than This, it's also really good up to now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    is that a new one??:D i love her books:D

First published in 1999 and re-issued in 2012 :D

Didn't think I'd like this one as it's about astronauts and space and I don't like that kind of stuff but it was really good.
  • fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Elvis. What Happened?

Got it in Ebay. Very good. I have read many books on Elvis and there is alot in here that I didn't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Lisa Gardner - The Neighbour.

A colleague at work has just discovered my penchant for crime books, so has leant me a few :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Imej wrote: »
    Lisa Gardner - The Neighbour.

A colleague at work has just discovered my penchant for crime books, so has leant me a few :)

I don't think I have read anything of hers. Are you enjoying it?

I'm always on the lookout for new crime authors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I don't think I have read anything of hers. Are you enjoying it?

I'm always on the lookout for new crime authors.

I'm only on chapter three at the minute, but it's reading very similar to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn at the minute. I'll keep you updated!