Options

How far do you walk in a week?

Nox_1Nox_1 Posts: 445
Forum Member
If I Google about walking, the searches turn up lots of recommendations. 10,000 steps a days seems to be a popular goal. In the big scheme of things I don't walk very much as I drive to work from my doorstep to the office. I walk into town to do my shopping etc but it's not far

The last couple of years I have been doing 'walks' in other words walks as in defined walks not just because I have to get from a to b. What's surprising is when I'm out walking along public footpaths, which are aren't in the middle of nowhere by any means, I see a few cyclists and the odd dog walker, but sometimes I don't see anyone!

So my question is how many miles do you walk in a week? I realise that people who walk ten plus miles a week are far more likely to reply than those than walk one or less miles a week.

Comments

• Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I walk a good few kilometers a week, there is a route I enjoy walking and it's 8.6k I do it anything from 3 to 6 evenings a week depending on the weather. But I also have my 5k run every other morning and weekends mountain biking which can be 50k including camping over 2 days.

I just love being out and about, it makes me feel so alive. I quite often plan a good 20k run, I sleep well those nights. ( I use K's as it sounds better than miles) 3 miles or 5K lol.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not far at all... but I cycle 70 miles per week.:)
  • Options
    NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 25 miles a week. :)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never tracked myself, but it must be well over the ten mile mark. That includes both work (which will be the vast bulk of it) and just general walking to, and around, the shops and the like. I also cycle ~30 miles every other day too.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably between 20 and 25 km, it varies on weather a lot. I don't have a car so I walk everywhere I go.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    0.5 miles a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 12 miles a week. Probably more if I go walking during the weekend as well......
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as possible :)

My Cardiologist tells me 3 miles a day is good to keep my heart in good condition.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know the exact distances but I've got a dog who needs/likes/is used to a lot of exercise & is walked daily usually off-lead, on today's walk I reckon we did about 2 & a half miles.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 minutes walk from nearest bus stop to office door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i used to walk everywhere( its nice in the summer, in the warm sun)..now i don't walk as much but still do it..i walk a bit to next bus stops, then wait to get the bus lol..Its gone cooler now and it doesn't feel the same..( its either raining and windy lately :() so i guess it puts me off..( i did walk to town and back today though..always have my ipod on lol)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Done a bit of walking to the shops but mainly an 80 minute walk in the park......so that's probably about 3 to 4 miles

Quite pleased really because I've had to cut back on walking this week with some pain in my left foot, but I got through today OK........:)
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a postie, so quite a way ;-)

An average delivery takes between four and four and a half hours, so don't know how many miles that is :o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more........but I just couldn't be arsed doing that so I use the car.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I have no idea. I have an active job (nursery class) and a whippet so a fair bit I expect.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to health problems I have to walk every day and easypeasy in the summer but so hard in winter! I haven't a clue how many miles I do but walk for at least an hour a day
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week I played golf 4 times - so that'll be about 16 miles pushing 20+ kilos of kit and parts of it are strenuous uphill.
    We also love coastal path locations for short breaks.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it - 2 return trips into town, 1.5miles each way so there's 6 miles.

Wandering around town probably adds another couple of miles.

A weekly 1 mile round trip to the supermarket makes 9 miles.

I'm about 0.2 miles from work, which adds 0.8 miles per day, so an extra 4 miles (which feels ridiculous as it takes literally 5 mins to get to/from work).

13 miles then, by the looks of it, currently.

Starting next week I'll be walking 2 miles per day as I start walking to new offices for work. , which would add 6 miles to my total, bringing up me up to 19 miles.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Considering i walk from one department to another all day, probably more than i think.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walk four miles or so every weekday lunch time. Plus Fifteen minuets (a mile for me) to and from the train station in Birmingham. Almost every Sunday I play a round of golf (another four miles at least). I'm a fast walker as well:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/603748769

So all in all going on for 40 miles I reckon.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walk for an hour and 10 mins a day when I am at work - that is split up to 2x 20 min walks to and from train station, plus a 30 min walk at lunchtime. I walk more at weekend. Walked for about 2 and 1/2 hours yesterday continuously. I WAH a bit so on those days my walking is non-existent. I estimate that I walk about 20 miles a week, which is not enough.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As least as possible.

I do walk a lot, though, which annoys me. About six miles' worth per day. In my ideal world, it'd be a mile per day. Even better if less.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago my sis-in-law was told that a five mile walk per day is very beneficial, she was last heard of in Peterhead.

Seriously, I've got a car, why would I want to walk ?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably about 15-20 miles between walking to and from work plus walking the dog. As well as that I'm up and down like a fiddlers elbow while I'm at work.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably about an hour a day all in... distance wise it's about 2 miles in the mornings, then the 20 minute walk to and from bus stop in the evening?