Options

Why do you women do this?

Comments

• Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because most women look pig ugly without makeup on so they feel the need to cover their faces up with powder so it doesn't look as bad.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    There is no excuse for women to be applying make-up on public transport, it's dirty and it's common. Maybe if they got up earlier in the morning they might have time to do it before leaving the house.

Yes public transport is dirty and common, well it is around where I live. Applying make-up I don't think is dirty or common though.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    It's not something I'd ever do. I'd hate the thought of everyone witnessing the transformation! :o

Hehe! 'the transformation' :D I need a steady hand and a bright light, I would look like a horror extra if I tried to apply my eyeliner and lippy on the bus.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I have barely any time in the morning, and I have to sit on tubes for 1 hour so I may as well do it there because i have nothing else to do? It saves time. i actually think it's hilarious how so many people in this thread are up in arms about it hahah!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it take women so long to get ready in general?

When I get ready I jump in the shower for 10 mins, spray on deodorant, go to wardrobe, get shirt, jeans, underwear, shoes etc all on in about a minute. Gel my hair, aftershave and ready to go. 20 mins Max.

Women...Spend half an hour in the bath, get out of bath put towel on head while she does her nails. Goes to wardrobe and chooses an outfit which needs my approval. Chooses appropriate colour underwear to go with outfit. Dries hair. Puts on her GHDs and proceeds to straighten hair. Puts on outfit. Asks if she looks OK. Decides contrary to me saying 'You look fine' that she's doesn't like the outfit she's picked out so chooses another one so has to get undressed and the new outfit requires a different set of underwear because black bra doesn't go with a white top. Applies a gallon of deodorant. Puts on makeup which takes 15 minutes. Applies more smellies in the way of perfume. Now she can't decide on footwear and what coat to wear and what handbag to go with her outfit. Then just as we're finally ready to leave the house an hour and a half after starting to get ready she decides she needs the toilet then as she's finally actually ready to leave (because I'm keeping myself busy while waiting for her to get ready) she has the bloody nerve to say, 'Come on then! I'm waiting for you!' NO you're not waiting for me. I just so happen to have chosen to do something for the last 90 minutes while you spend all night getting ready and now you've finally decided you're ready to go everybody has to jump to attention.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I've always done my homework on the bus, from school through college and then through to uni too.
    My kids eat their breakfast on the bus most mornings.
    The kids' shoes get cleaned on the bus on the way to school.
    Mine and my daughter's hair gets done on the bus.
    I get changed on the bus when I don't have much time between activities.
    And when I buy smallish household items I've been known to put them together on the bus home from Ikea.

Which activities might you be between that would cause you to have to get changed on the bus?

How small would the item from IKEA have to be? A book case perhaps? Or maybe a bedside cabinet. And why can't you want until you get home before assembling these things?
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to catch the 6.15am bus to work. I was up at six, brush teeth and throw on clothes and run for the bus. I'd sit upstairs at back and do my face and sort my hair out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    This is just out of curiosity, but when I'm on the way to work on the bus, I very often see the same girls and women applying their make up on the bus, I don't mean just a bit of lippy, but what looks like the whole sherbang. If a man started shaving on the bus then I'm sure there would be uproar about it, don't you women allow time at home to get yourselves ready.:confused:

a girl/woman did just this last week..Got her little mirror out, applied her powder, the blusher, then lippy..then she got she impulse deodorant body spray out and sprayed under her arms :confused: why not do it at home ..Her spray was not bad actually, it made the bus smell nice too :D
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    As Bex.

No big deal.

It's nice that most women like to take care of their appearance and look nice. I guess it saves a bit of time during the boring commute to work.

Let's face it. Blokes don't in general win in the upkeep smelling good stakes on average.

And women wear make up and perfume to hide their flaws and natural feminine stink :D
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I'm quite impressed with any woman who can apply her make-up on a bus/train/tube - it's quite a skill to get it right with all that movement.

I don't like anyone watching me while I'm looking at myself in a mirror, so I'd never apply make-up in public, however, I do wear it to work every day but as I get up at 0430, I start my make-up at home and finish it at work (eyeliner and mascara).

In reply to some of the posters who claim that women who wear make-up every day are either lacking in confidence or are ugly, I wear it because I love applying it - simple as that. I have no qualms about going out without it and I frequently do but it has now become part of my daily routine whilst getting ready for work.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always done my homework on the bus, from school through college and then through to uni too.
    And when I buy smallish household items I've been known to put them together on the bus home from Ikea.

http://metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/tumblr_m4jiwtosdw1rwj4q9o1_500.gif?w=500&h=282

:D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Why does it take women so long to get ready in general?

When I get ready I jump in the shower for 10 mins, spray on deodorant, go to wardrobe, get shirt, jeans, underwear, shoes etc all on in about a minute. Gel my hair, aftershave and ready to go. 20 mins Max.

Women...Spend half an hour in the bath, get out of bath put towel on head while she does her nails. Goes to wardrobe and chooses an outfit which needs my approval. Chooses appropriate colour underwear to go with outfit. Dries hair. Puts on her GHDs and proceeds to straighten hair. Puts on outfit. Asks if she looks OK. Decides contrary to me saying 'You look fine' that she's doesn't like the outfit she's picked out so chooses another one so has to get undressed and the new outfit requires a different set of underwear because black bra doesn't go with a white top. Applies a gallon of deodorant. Puts on makeup which takes 15 minutes. Applies more smellies in the way of perfume. Now she can't decide on footwear and what coat to wear and what handbag to go with her outfit. Then just as we're finally ready to leave the house an hour and a half after starting to get ready she decides she needs the toilet then as she's finally actually ready to leave (because I'm keeping myself busy while waiting for her to get ready) she has the bloody nerve to say, 'Come on then! I'm waiting for you!' NO you're not waiting for me. I just so happen to have chosen to do something for the last 90 minutes while you spend all night getting ready and now you've finally decided you're ready to go everybody has to jump to attention.

The worst part about all that is that she puts on a black bra under a white top!! I take a little while to get ready if I'm going out, but it's because I take my time doing my hair and make up. Any other time I do both within about 10 minutes. I always choose what I'm gonna wear a couple of days before, so I don't have to decide on the night.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They put their makeup on when they are in the car also.

It's the only time they look in the mirror :cool:
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Disorganisation on a grand scale - poor kids !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite shocked there are people there who really care about this; let alone some seriously thinking women applying make-up on public transport is 'dirty' or 'common'....what is 'common' and 'dirty' about it? A lot of the time for many it's about time schedule and not having enough time at home to completely put on make-up.

I've applied make-up on public transport - not foundation (or make up from scratch), but the odd top up of powder, lippy etc. For quite a few women such as myself it's not about 'low self-esteem' or wanting some random bloke's attention - is simply enjoying putting on make-up. I put on make-up every day, and I enjoy getting ready, picking out clothes, doing my hair, etc. I do it for me; because these things make me feel good. I have no idea why on earth some are so upset that women like to wear make-up regularly, or even a lot of make-up regularly. It's bizarre to say the least.

Women can't win. If we don't look to a certain standard, shave every inch of hair off of our bodies, (except eyebrows and hair on our heads of course) have perfect hair and are slim as can be then we are criticized to the heavens. If we take care of our appearance, then we're still criticized! And many young women out there do not a perfect 'youthful' skin - in fact many young women out there, especially teens suffer from some level of acne - there seems to be this idealized concept of how young teens look promoted as the 'norm' - well, when I was a teenager (I'm 23 now) I didn't have perfect skin, and neither did many of my peers. I don't know why some have to constantly analyse women....from the way we dress, our faces....people are just going about there day. They aren't there to be constantly scrutinized!
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I'm actually quite shocked there are people there who really care about this; let alone some seriously thinking women applying make-up on public transport is 'dirty' or 'common'....what is 'common' and 'dirty' about it? A lot of the time for many it's about time schedule and not having enough time at home to completely put on make-up.

I've applied make-up on public transport - not foundation (or make up from scratch), but the odd top up of powder, lippy etc. For quite a few women such as myself it's not about 'low self-esteem' or wanting some random bloke's attention - is simply enjoying putting on make-up. I put on make-up every day, and I enjoy getting ready, picking out clothes, doing my hair, etc. I do it for me; because these things make me feel good. I have no idea why on earth some are so upset that women like to wear make-up regularly, or even a lot of make-up regularly. It's bizarre to say the least.

Women can't win. If we don't look to a certain standard, shave every inch of hair off of our bodies, (except eyebrows and hair on our heads of course) have perfect hair and are slim as can be then we are criticized to the heavens. If we take care of our appearance, then we're still criticized! And many young women out there do not a perfect 'youthful' skin - in fact many young women out there, especially teens suffer from some level of acne - there seems to be this idealized concept of how young teens look promoted as the 'norm' - well, when I was a teenager (I'm 23 now) I didn't have perfect skin, and neither did many of my peers. I don't know why some have to constantly analyse women....from the way we dress, our faces....people are just going about there day. They aren't there to be constantly scrutinized!

Well said that woman!
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There were rules for behaviour years ago, and putting make-up on in public would be considered "common ", like eating in the street was ! Discreetly re-applying worn off lipstick isn't the same thing of course. Everyone can make the time to get things done before leaving home - you get up at the crack of dawn to make an early journey, so you can do the same to fit in the time to apply make-up if you feel you need to. I've done it all my adult life as have friends and family - even getting children breakfast and ready for school didn't stop me, you just have to be disciplined and organised. Sadly, some women today think it's ok to lie in bed whilst their kids do without a proper breakfast, then jump into the car still wearing their pyjamas to drive them to school :(
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    And women wear make up and perfume to hide their flaws and natural feminine stink :D

I bet you are a hit with all the ladies.

Anyway, what were you thinking of or what were you on when you decided on a user name like 'Sweaty Job Rot'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were rules for behaviour years ago, and putting make-up on in public would be considered "common ", like eating in the street was ! Discreetly re-applying worn off lipstick isn't the same thing of course. Everyone can make the time to get things done before leaving home - you get up at the crack of dawn to make an early journey, so you can do the same to fit in the time to apply make-up if you feel you need to. I've done it all my adult life as have friends and family - even getting children breakfast and ready for school didn't stop me, you just have to be disciplined and organised. Sadly, some women today think it's ok to lie in bed whilst their kids do without a proper breakfast, then jump into the car still wearing their pyjamas to drive them to school :(

Rules? Who decided these rules? I can't agree with the comparison of not putting on make-up at home to women not attending to their children's needs regarding breakfast! One is important to children's health - the other may simply upset people for whatever reason. As for the pyjamas thing, I can't really get offended at that. If it's a late morning, and a mum has no time to get ready it's better to get the kids to school on time. And I just apply my lipstick tbh - I don't think about whether it's 'discreet' or not:D I didn't think anyone really cared! If some ladies want to have a bit of a lie in and apply make-up in public I see no real reason to get upset - it's not hurting anyone, I really don't see how it's so awful.
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say why do people sleep, work, read the paper, drink coffee, chat on the phone etc on public transport? It passes the time and saves time. Time is valuable.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    People travel on buses ?

This was my first thought....poor souls. There for the grace of God go I
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    People travel on buses ?

You've dipped your bait in the water, but as I'm bored right now, I'll bite.

You can throw me back when you've caught me. Catch and release.

That has to be the dumbest post I've seen on DS for a good while.

People also travel on trains btw, just so that you know.
    This was my first thought....poor souls. There for the grace of God go I

But there again, it's another form of social exclusion by being public transport phobic. And even with some people that use public transport, they use headphones with various devices to exclude themselves from the outside world.

It's a bus. What possibly can be that bad. It's not like you are going base jumping or climbing K2. It's a bus. It gets you from A to B.

=

ETA. Public transport snobs do tend to piss me off. One day they may have to use public transport themselves, due to various personal circumstances and then hopefully they'll appreciate it a bit more for the service it provides. It's a lifeline for some people, that have no other means of getting around, instead of using the pollution box, aka a car.

ETA1. It's a shame that this country has become so dependent on cars, despite generally having a good rail and coach/bus network, compared with most other countries in the world. Road congestion is a major problem in the UK, and causes a lot of inconvenience for other road users, particularly pedestrians.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I bet you are a hit with all the ladies.

Anyway, what were you thinking of or what were you on when you decided on a user name like 'Sweaty Job Rot'?

The only lady I have to be a hit with is the better half.:D

I'll explains the user name,

I'm a sweaty as in sweaty sock-jock.

Job as it's my favourite book, written by Joseph Roth a 1930's novel based on the book of job from the bible about an Orthodox Jew whose faith is weakened when he moves to New York from a Russia under the Tsar regime.

Rot because its a place in Sweden from where I can trace my mothers family back to, her great grandfather originated from there.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only lady I have to be a hot with is the better half.

I'll explains the user name,

I'm a sweaty as in sweaty sock-jock.

Job as it's my favourite book, written by Joseph Roth a 1930's novel based on the book of job from the bible about an Orthodox Jew whose faith is weakened when he moves to New York from Russia under the Tsar regime.

Rot because its a place in Sweden from where I can trace my mothers family back to, her great grandfather originated from there.

Did it take you 6 days to come up with that?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The worst part about all that is that she puts on a black bra under a white top!! I take a little while to get ready if I'm going out, but it's because I take my time doing my hair and make up. Any other time I do both within about 10 minutes. I always choose what I'm gonna wear a couple of days before, so I don't have to decide on the night.

You missed the point. She doesn't. Hence why when she changed her top from a black one to a white one it required her to change her underwear as well because for some reason when women get ready they never seem to be able to make up their mind and just pick an outfit and go with it like men do. Women have to have several changes before opting on one they like before exclaiming how despite having a wardrobe packed full of clothes they've never got anything to wear.

Then finally after waiting for what feels like forever for her to get ready she then has the dilemma of what shoes and handbag to wear and what coloured makeup to go with her outfit etc. It would be a hell of a lot easier and save time if women could just make their mind up what they want to wear before they start getting ready and not spend all night faffing about and deliberating like it's some kind of million pound question.

Why do they feel the need to consult us on their choice of outfit then when we give them our opinion they take no notice and just do as they please? Are these women not capable of making snap decisions? It's no wonder that some women can't get ready on time when they spend so much time messing about and not being able to decide what to wear.