Google getting very accurate

Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
Forum Member
✭✭
As an example a Google search for Natwest would bring up a map with the nearest branches could be anywhere in the UK Beccles was a common one sometimes suffolk or kent and I'm in Cumbria speedtest .net mainly uses a London server so it places me in the south east .

The last 2 or 3 weeks search results are more accurate listing NW branches 10 to 15 miles away. Today its showing my 2 nearest branches 4 miles away . Google is closing in are they looking at my searches for local news etc . ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norbert5 wrote: »
    As an example a Google search for Natwest would bring up a map with the nearest branches could be anywhere in the UK Beccles was a common one sometimes suffolk or kent and I'm in Cumbria speedtest .net mainly uses a London server so it places me in the south east .

The last 2 or 3 weeks search results are more accurate listing NW branches 10 to 15 miles away. Today its showing my 2 nearest branches 4 miles away . Google is closing in are they looking at my searches for local news etc . ?

If you use Chrome or Google on your smartphone, they locate you by phone GPS.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If using a desktop then probably refreshed the IP geo-location tables.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently ticked all the Google services on my android phone to see how it performs, sure enough it is much more accurate when I search for something, based on location, previous searches etc.

It's worringly clever sometimes though! - using my non Gmail email I booked Eurostar tickets, and some family members were flying in from another country to join me on the Eurostar, they forwarded me their flight details. I forwarded these 2 booking emails to my Gmail account for access on my phone, next thing I notice is Google now has looked up the booking ref and alerts me when their flight is due in, when to leave home to pick them up accounting for traffic etc

On the Eurostar trip it did much the same but also "helpfully" on my return home it compiled a storyboard of our trip linking in pictures taken (on my phone) to dates/location/map of where we were. Helpful but slightly worryingly big brother.

I'm sure it'll only get cleverer (or worse depending on your point of view)
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Google Now's voice recognition is pretty amazing as well.
    I was reading quiz questions out from one of those game machines in the pub and it was bringing up the answers quick enough for us to win a few quid... didn't always work though, some digging in the links was often required, but still, correct links all the same. :)

I was also driving a few weeks ago and needed to ring a certain estate agent I was on the way to.

I said ' call B*****r lettings north, in Leicestshire', mainly did it as an experiment, **** me it not only recognised what I said, but also found the number and asked me for confirmation before it dialled it.... seriously scary but good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading quiz questions out from one of those game machines in the pub and it was bringing up the answers quick enough for us to win a few quid... didn't always work though, some digging in the links was often required, but still, correct links all the same. :)

I was also driving a few weeks ago and needed to ring a certain estate agent I was on the way to.

I said ' call B*****r lettings north, in Leicestshire', mainly did it as an experiment, **** me it not only recognised what I said, but also found the number and asked me for confirmation before it dialled it.... seriously scary but good!

The number look up is pretty good. If somebody calls who is not in your directory on a android phone, it will look it up on google. Even adds a picture from either google images or google maps.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey, that's cheating. :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technology's getting more and more adavanced as the years go by. It's amazing what some technology can do today.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said ' call B*****r lettings north, in Leicestshire',

they need to work on their branding ;)
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    they need to work on their branding ;)

They're bad payers, so I think it's quite apt under the circumstances :)
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    The number look up is pretty good. If somebody calls who is not in your directory on a android phone, it will look it up on google. Even adds a picture from either google images or google maps.

Hmm, mines never done that, just tells me the location of the caller if available.
    Is it a setting issue do you know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, mines never done that, just tells me the location of the caller if available.
    Is it a setting issue do you know?

You need to be running kitkat, and I think the feature is called Smart Caller ID

http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/11/05/kitkat-shows-caller-ids-from-google-places-apps-customers-adding-personal-accounts-in-early-2014/
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Appears to be exclusive to Nexus and Google Play Edition devices :(
    I could root my Note3, but not that bothered.

Thanks for the info though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appears to be exclusive to Nexus and Google Play Edition devices :(
    I could root my Note3, but not that bothered.

Thanks for the info though. :)

could be, both me and mrs are using nexus handsets