Family Ties - Was it ever shown in the UK?

dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
Forum Member
I'm going way back to the early/mid 80s with this one but I've just recently rediscovered this show on Netflix and couldn't for the life of me remember if it ever got aired over here. The weird thing is I do remember watching it when I was younger but can't think where.

Comments

• John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Channel 4 show it for a while?:confused:

Here you go- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Ties#Syndication
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved that show.....:D

I thought that I'd watched it on a cable channel which showed an episode every day.............maybe in the 1990s?

I seem to remember it as my winding down show after getting home from work and making a cuppa..........teatime, maybe 6.00pm
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing it on Sky One around 1989/1990
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it most recently aired on Paramount Comedy (now Comedy Central) , but that was over 10 years ago now.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    I remember seeing it on Sky One around 1989/1990

that sounds like when I might have watched it......Sky One had a few of these US series that they ran though at an episode every day like the Star Trek series and a few sitcoms, Kate and Allie comes to mind.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I used to watch it all the time on Sky Channel/Sky One when we had cable vision, which I'm pretty sure was the mid 80's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    The Michael J Fox thing? It was definitely on Channel Four in the 80s.
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep definately on Channel 4 mid 80's .................

I am sure I remember seeing listings for it on Sky Channel (DJ KAT etc) - this was before Sky Television launched in the UK.

You used to be able to pull up hidden satellite listings via teletext.

I am sure Family Ties was shown on this channel also...........think Pat Sharp used to do links between shows etc..............

Dave
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes definitely on mainstream TV when we only had a few TV channels, I loved it as a child!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like sitcoms with perfect all american families. But Michael J Fox was as brilliant as a young man as he is now.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Just seen that True Entertainment have picked up Family Ties. Can't wait to start watching this again!
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    that sounds like when I might have watched it......Sky One had a few of these US series that they ran though at an episode every day like the Star Trek series and a few sitcoms, Kate and Allie comes to mind.

Sky aired it in 1989 along with Alf. I know this because I went through a old tape where I taped some wrestling and there was a advert of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    Just seen that True Entertainment have picked up Family Ties. Can't wait to start watching this again!

Oh this is exciting! Really loved it! Used to tape it on my video, at 6.00. Was on channel 4, then sky and some episodes were shown on Comedy Central. Really like Mallory and her relationship with Alex.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember it on Channel 4
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I used to watch it all the time on Sky Channel/Sky One when we had cable vision, which I'm pretty sure was the mid 80's.

Sky didn't exist in the mid 80s. Channel 4 ran it for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member

According to Wiki it did.
    Sky 1 started on 26 April 1982 as Satellite Television Ltd,[1] and was Europe's first ever cable and satellite channel, originally broadcasting from the Orbital Test Satellite aimed to cable operators all over Europe; At first the station struggled financially, due to disappointing ratings in the countries in which it was officially available, which in turn led to insufficient advertising revenue and increasing difficulty in covering the high transmission costs.

On 27 June 1983, the shareholders of Satellite Television agreed a £5 million offer to give News International 65% of the company.[2][3] Murdoch extended the broadcast hours and the number of countries the station broadcast to including UK. On 16 January 1984 the channel was renamed Sky Channel.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member

It did in the late 80s, it was called Sky channel. We used to get it for free due to our tv being wired up to cable due to being the old way the council estate did it.

Used to rush home from school to watch "countdown" in 88 and 89 - it was a music programme, used live footage from the dutch version o fthe same name but the 89 series was linked from the UK, fantastic programme!

Back to Family Ties - as a huge MJF devotee i can tell you for definite that yes ch4 showed it on and off up to 1988, and then sky showed it every weekday til about 1992.
    I video taped them all!