Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Could be important the basel result (losing 1-0) a 3-0 defeat tonight is not all that bad (considering the way real we're opening up the pool at times) could have been a lot more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not watch the game as I don't have sky but from the reaction here it seems we had another bad game. :(
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Could be important the basel result (losing 1-0) a 3-0 defeat tonight is not all that bad (considering the way real we're opening up the pool at times) could have been a lot more

Considering how crap we've been so far, I'm not sure I'd want to witness us in the knockout stages in this form TBH!
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Well, that's it.

What do they do during training? Can't defend or score from setpieces, especially corners, we can't defend, we're playing without a striker and relying on a 19 year old, and we don't seem to have must chemistry in the team.

Positives? Sterling played well. Coutinho was good in the first half and Lallana was good in the second half. Henderson and Joe Allen played alright, too, I thought. We also played until the end which I liked.

DS is going to be fun tonight.

until we start defending set pieces and high balls better we are gonna be struggling. its killing us and puts huge pressure on the team.

gonna keep saying it. Toure needs to come back in on saturday and sakho once he is fit.

they cant be worse then Skrtel and Lovren.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0-3 it's finished so not as bad as feared at half time, but still a feeling of dissapointment that we didn't give them a game, even if they probably are the best club side in the World.
    We'll need to improve massively if we're not to get an absolute thrashing in the return game.

If Balotelli continues as he has I think he'll be sold in the January transfer window, probably at a loss.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    0-3 it's finished so not as bad as feared at half time, but still a feeling of dissapointment that we didn't give them a game, even if they probably are the best club side in the World.
    We'll need to improve massively if we're not to get an absolute thrashing in the return game.

If Balotelli continues as he has I think he'll be sold in the January transfer window, probably at a loss.

gotta find a buyer first so I cant see him going in Jan.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Beaten comfortably by a better side.

Sadly, hardly any of our signings look like they were money well spent at this (early) stage. Balotelli is a passenger off the ball, and when the players behind him see him strolling around it gives them no incentive to work their backsides off to compensate for him. As for Markovic... I saw nothing in his YouTube highlight reels that made me think he was good and so far he's looked dreadful.

We simply have to defend better. As a team. How we go about that with no midfielders who know how to protect the back four I don't know. Something has to be done about our organisation and leadership on these set pieces though.
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    Rodgers has to go he is humilating the club with his poor tatics

You are humiliating yourself with your poor spelling. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    Considering how crap we've been so far, I'm not sure I'd want to witness us in the knockout stages in this form TBH!
    I do.

If nothing else, we would earn a lot of money by progressing. Money that could be spent improving the team.

We were well beaten tonight but we can still progress out of the group and, once we get to the knockout stages, who knows what might happen.

Clubs have won the European Title after losing in the first round.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0-3 defeat nearly feels like a victory, yes yes they eased off but what was notable to me was not that Real won by 3-0 and comfortable but how they won the game and but also how Liverpool played in attack without their most potent weapon <b>and with Balotelli</b>.

I actually think Liverpool will take something positive out of this rather than it being a chastening experience which is what Ronnie Wheelan opined at the end, we actually saw pressing and quick thinking early on before the Real Madrid machine (over 600 CL caps in that starting 11) cranked fully into life. If the kind of application displayed can be shown in the Prem week in week out then its not all bad. Roll on Sturridge. The defence remains a mess of course but we knew that.

As regards tonights performances - Sterling and Coutinho were the most positives Mignolet, Balo the worst. If the latter doesn't click with Sturridge very quickly once he is back then he'll be on the bench and out the door in January.

Just to give LFC supporters a small lift - the U19s beat Real Madrid 3-2, and could and should have beaten them about 5-3. They were fantastic at times this afternoon - a few future stars in that side. Rossiter and Wilson in particular.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellendtelli.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People questioning Rodgers is just ridiculous, we need to remember this is Liverpool football club, BR was on the end of lots of praise last season, now just because we're having a bad spell (bad? 5th in the league, still in with a shout in the Champions League too...) you're questioning him. Support the team and the manager, its our job to.

As for the game, disappointing, positives were Coutinho and Can for me, Sterling was great too but as he always is at the moment, defending is very worrying, I'd consider bringing Toure back in actually...seriously!

Maybe give Lucas a game too, give Gerrard a rest. As for Balotelli, just ridiculous, desperate signing and I'd like to see us give Borini a chance now.
  • Options
    El CubidoEl Cubido Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be watching a different Sterling to you guys and BR. Almost every time i see him with the ball, he gives it away, trying to take players on and them taking it away from him and has been doing so all season long from what i've seen.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balotelli shouldn't of swapped shirts but just wanna point out he never instigated that Pepe was the one who asked to swap shirts.

Were in a bad place right now in the sense I think the team believes they will concede when they have to defend a set piece.

Would get Toure in on Saturday though. We need a change.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible yet again, thought Real would have got more tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you need cheering up, "When Liverpool Ruled Europe" is on Sky Sports 5 at 11:15.

If you are a Man United fan, "When Manchester United Ruled Europe" is on at the same time...

.....................on The Fantasy Channel.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Balotelli shouldn't of swapped shirts but just wanna point out he never instigated that Pepe was the one who asked to swap shirts.

Indeed.

Would it be cynical to suggest that Pepe knew exactly what he was doing and how it would be perceived?
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Let's hope this is the result that sparks changes in attitude and performance.
    Last year we would have destroyed almost any team on the planet.That's what makes me so sad :-(
  • Options
    El CubidoEl Cubido Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Balotelli know already that he wasn't going to be playing in the second half and so as his match was over, he swapped shirts?
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you need cheering up, "When Liverpool Ruled Europe" is on Sky Sports 5 at 11:15.

If you are a Man United fan, "When Manchester United Ruled Europe" is on at the same time...

.....................on The Fantasy Channel.

Whereas 'Liverpool: Champions of England' is currently showing on the (ancient) History Channel.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd need a Betamax vcr to watch videos of Liverpool's glory years.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    You'd need a Betamax vcr to watch videos of Liverpool's glory years.

I dont think too many people had betamax between 1981 and 1991 - do you,Son ?
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    Let's hope this is the result that sparks changes in attitude and performance.
    Last year we would have destroyed almost any team on the planet.That's what makes me so sad :-(

It is sad, I agree :(

I try to regard us a work in progress, though. The main thing is for us to say on an upward trajectory overall. There's still time for that this season.

Can you guess I'm a 'glass half full' type of person? ;-) :)
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm lots of anger at Balotelli swapping shirts. I have to say I don't have that point of view. How can Liverpool fans have a go at Balotelli, yet defend Suarez for far worse acts? Are we as fans saying that players can do what the hell they want as long as they are fabulous players? Personally I'd feel a fraud and a hypocrite for slating Balotelli when I've defended Suarez (rightly or wrongly) for far worse crimes.

It is becoming a witch hunt now with Balotelli? Personally I don't think selling him would solve anything at all. I think Stevie is a bigger issue and I think the defensive frailties are a bigger issue. Balotelli is an easy target that is all. I'll judge him when he has a proper run with Sturridge because I think Rodgers is doing him no favours continuing to play him as a lone striker. Almost sacrificial from the manager. Maybe Brendan didn't want him?

As for the match I don't think we played half bad, it was Madrid and to be fair I think they would have done a number on everybody in our league perhaps barring Chelsea and maybe Man City. It was the expected result. I just hope the confidence they built up against QPR has not been lost.

I have to say seeing fans throw their dummy out after losing to Madrid is rather amusing,it's also a bit pathetic to be honest.

Onto Stevie, do we think the manager has the balls to make a decision regarding him and how long he should be played for? Personally I don't think he should be playing as much as he is and should be limited to super sub and certain games.As much as I love Gerrard, its a decision Rodgers has to face up to. A far bigger one than Balotelli!
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »

In each of Rodgers two seasons we've got significantly better from January onwards. Bring on the knockout rounds :D
This discussion has been closed.