Options

Woman subjected to 108 catcalls during 10 hour walk through NYC

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things that make me laugh is in the comments you say a women say something like "Feminists like these make me ashamed to be a woman. We're not here to single out how awful men are when women can be just the same. Yes women get raped and taken advantage off, as do men". Which is met to replies that say - no joke - "Women being raped is more important, cause men can deal with it." How in any way is that equality?
    That's terrible....though can't say i find it surprising.

This clip angered me and the top most comment sums up the lunacy;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0DHR8cIYw

Another thing I see a lot is this whole men shouldn't hit women, but it's fine for women to hit men debate. How so? It isn't acceptable for anyone to hit anyone. If a man hits a woman and the woman fights back - it's self defence. But when a woman hits a man, and the mans natural reaction is to push that woman away - it's battery and assault. Again, where's the equality in that?

There are a ridiculous amount of fundamental flaws in the logic of feminists - well the majority at least.
    You may have missed the three clips i posted which illustrates this perfectly......but watch what happens when the roles are reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSg15iEt48M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRmGOj-Kj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHVANXh-yg
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    There will never be total equality as it's a physical impossibility and unrealistic to think otherwise. But as for pay, if doing the same type of work then yes the pay should be equal.

It's very odd that you think equality would be based on physical parity. But not surprising...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    It's very odd that you think equality would be based on physical parity. But not surprising...
    Never physical....it's an impossibility.......but do let me know when you find a pregnant man as that would be 'odd' to say the least.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    That's terrible....though can't say i find it surprising.

This clip angered me and the top most comment sums up the lunacy;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0DHR8cIYw

You may have missed the three clips i posted which illustrates this perfectly......but watch what happens when the roles are reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSg15iEt48M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRmGOj-Kj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHVANXh-yg

Agree about that top comment!

Didn't see those videos, thank you! It's just shocking really! You would think these feminist women would run up and help the man because their all for equality, but apparently not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why is it harassment for a woman, but compliments for a man? Of course, that's when its not being deemed a fake video.
    I haven't seen that in this thread (if you're referring to the video about a man walking in NYC posted).I'd say both sexes should be left in peace on the street, and I think both shouldn't have to suffer harassment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never physical....it's an impossibility.......but do let me know when you find a pregnant man as that would be 'odd' to say the least.

What you appear to be saying is that there can never be equality as there is physical imparity. Is that correct?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoa, I don't really see how wanting to not be harassed on the street is looking for 'specialness'. I also haven't seen anything in feminism saying it's okay to hit anyone. Wherever these 'feminists' are, I'm not seeing them, either online or in real life.
    PP.......why is the girl in that video seen by two or three women on this thread as 'being harassed', yet the male 'version' is flippantly dismissed as 'fake' and 'he was getting compliments'?

Some women bang on about equality. OK fine..........show commitment to that equality by condemning the women 'hollering' at the man.

See this is the snag with 'equality'.....either it cuts both ways.......or not at all.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feminists have been more interested in complaining about page 3 (i.e. lecturing other adult women) than the systematic rape and abuse of thousands of teenage girls by rape gangs in our towns and cities, or the tens of thousands of British girls who are sexually mutilated every year. And we all know why this is, because they can't blame white men.

It does seem that way, how many of the feminists on here were on the threads involving the Pakistani taxi drivers? And have they written to their MP's yet? What happened there was disgusting, not as bad as a stranger saying hello, but it was pretty bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PP.......why is the girl in that video seen by two or three women on this thread as 'being harassed', yet the male 'version' is flippantly dismissed as 'fake' and 'he was getting compliments'?

Some women bang on about equality. OK fine..........show commitment to that equality by condemning the women 'hollering' at the man.

See this is the snag with 'equality'.....either it cuts both ways.......or not at all.

I direct you to this:
    I haven't seen that in this thread (if you're referring to the video about a man walking in NYC posted).I'd say both sexes should be left in peace on the street, and I think both shouldn't have to suffer harassment.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you appear to be saying is that there can never be equality as there is physical imparity. Is that correct?
    No 'appearance' about it all. It's been an undeniable indisputable fact since Adam & Eve! Adam definitely wasn't quite the same as Eve and vice versa!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No 'appearance' about it all. It's been an undeniable indisputable fact since Adam & Eve! Adam definitely wasn't quite the same as Eve and vice versa!

Why does physical difference preclude equality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I direct you to this:
    :)
    Perfect Princess. ;-)

So i can take it i, as a male, am ok to say 'hi' or 'hello' to you in a public street without you jumping up and down screeching 'pervert' or 'sexual harassment' etc........just as i would greet you if you spoke to me in the street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does physical difference preclude equality?
    I explained all that in posts back. You are just going round in circles now you've nothing left to go at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I explained all that in posts back. You are just going round in circles now you've nothing left to go at.
    It's not me who's going round in circles. I've asked questions which you've not managed to answer with any articulacy.

I can't in all honesty claim to be interested in this discussion either way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect Princess. ;-)

So i can take it i, as a male, am ok to say 'hi' or 'hello' to you in a public street without you jumping up and down screeching 'pervert' or 'sexual harassment' etc........just as i would greet you if you spoke to me in the street.

I don't mind people saying 'hello' so long as they are not doing so with the expectation of sex, or a relationship or anything like that, but are just being friendly. If someone is just being friendly, I don't mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about that top comment!
    Yes......and then they wonder why rape happens. They were positively encouraging it. Though i appreciate it was a 'candid camera' type of spoof thing, it wasn't a subject i'd choose to make fun with.

I'd like to have seen a female member of the public give the pair of them a good telling off and sort out their minds.
    Didn't see those videos, thank you! It's just shocking really! You would think these feminist women would run up and help the man because their all for equality, but apparently not.
    Shows where the 'equality' really is doesn't it?
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoa, I don't really see how wanting to not be harassed on the street is looking for 'specialness'. I also haven't seen anything in feminism saying it's okay to hit anyone. Wherever these 'feminists' are, I'm not seeing them, either online or in real life.

So far we've had people on here saying all men should be forbidden from saying hello to any woman on the street. That you're a sex offender/chav/mentally ill if you talk to them on the street or that saying hello is the same as flashing your genitals and one doesn't even want you looking at her.

What fuels this sense of entitlement? Endorsement from Daily Mail commenters? Social justice warriors who want your money?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I said was that women identify with it and have experienced similar.

Personally I would have been careful to make sure that the film was more ethnically representative of the reality. I live in London and harassment does not mainly come from black men, I've been to NY and it was no different there. In London, men of all races hassle you but the majority are white as they form the majority of the population.

I think the ethnic mix in the film represents the neighbourhoods the woman was walking around.

It was naïve on the part of the film-makers not to know that people such as yourself try and wriggle out of the main point of the film and blame it on race.

Make up your mind, originally you were lauding the video as a typical portrayal of harassment of women but now you are accusing it of racism and stereotyping, how quickly things change inside the mind of a feminist.

it must be like the paradox feminists feel about women being badly treated inside Islam, on one hand it misogyny but on the other hand you can't be seen to criticise brown people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Make up your mind, originally you were lauding the video as a typical portrayal of harassment of women but now you are accusing it of racism and stereotyping, how quickly things change inside the mind of a feminist.

it must be like the paradox of women being badly treated inside Islam, on one hand it misogyny but on the other hand you can't be seen to criticise brown people.

It's not really that hard to grasp: the comments are typical and representative but the racial complexion is not. She appears to have been walking round NY areas with a high ethnic population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't in all honesty claim to be interested in this discussion either way.
    Cheerio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far we've had people on here saying all men should be forbidden from saying hello to any woman on the street. That you're a sex offender/chav/mentally ill if you talk to them on the street or that saying hello is the same as flashing your genitals and one doesn't even want you looking at her.

What fuels this sense of entitlement? Endorsement from Daily Mail commenters? Social justice warriors who want your money?

Just so we're clear: I actually said that if you approach women on the street, you are putting yourself in the same bracket as drunk/mentally ill/pervs etc, not that you are one of those.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Really? Many feminists I know care about this issue very much - I know I do. And on page 3, feminists are not 'lecturing other adult women' - you can support someone's right to choose what they'd like even if you don't always agree with their choices, and you think those choices may have negative consequences. Feminists care about all kinds of issues that affect women - it isn't a competition between one issue all the other; I know for myself that a lot issues relate to one another. And if you really think the goal of feminism is just 'blame white men' rather than help women...well...I can't help there, I'm afraid.

I would just love to see feminists campaign against pakistani rape gangs with the same vigour they do men looking at (very well paid) semi-naked women in magazines or daring to start a conversation with an attractive woman in public.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    It's not really that hard to grasp: the comments are typical and representative but the racial complexion is not. She appears to have been walking round NY areas with a high ethnic population.

What are you basing this on, exactly? Nothing but your own prejudices I would suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What rubbish, I've just watched the video again and there are people of all colours everywhere, it's Manhattan, not Harlem.

You really do yourself no favours by writing such drivel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you basing this on, exactly? Nothing but your own prejudices I would suggest.

Experience of London and NY. Black guys don't hassle you any more than any other race, and in the UK they are in the minority of the population. The majority of hassle in the UK comes from white guys as they're the majority of the population.