Options

Does anyone still use CB radios?

Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
Forum Member
I was just looking on eBay and an advert for CB radios came up. These are the 40 channel CB here (the same as in Smokey and the Bandit and Convoy)not the amateur worldwide radio which 'Radio Hams' use.

My mum bought me a handheld CB when I was about 11 (1981...showing my age) as it was very popular. I soon got fed up with it though. I suppose chat rooms may now have filled the need for networking with strangers.

It got me thinking if anyone out there still uses CB radio, and if so, why? Are there still CB clubs out there? Has anyone met their partner over the air or had any unusual/funny experiences related to using CB radio?

Comments

• Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cq , Cq , Lobo calling on the side , I don't use them any more but I still have 3 radios with all the gear , 2 radios legal 1 not , plenty of power boosters , oh happy days , spoiled by aersoles
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    "breaker breaker 1-9 for a copy, anybody got their ears on, what's your 20? come back"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Not for the last 20yrs god i feel old now
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    1 4, 1 4 for a copy? What's your handle? Pick a window!

I don't know what happened if more than person was on the freq you chose. I did manage to speak to the bloke down the road who was about 600ft away as the range of my unit was really crap. No chance of a party chat on that rig!
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    i remember back in '75 driving my dark green kenworth w-925 across oregon trying to outrun smoky with my college educated co-driver, will chandler. happy days indeed.
  • Options
    keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be on my cb all the time in the very early 90's!!! Met my son's father on there then gave it up as a bad habit!!!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    came across my old kit when forced to clean out the loft for my parents a couple of years back. Appeared to be about three people left in the area using it.

It's been replaced by DS now anyway.

Still have the odd freak trying to pick up young girls
    Still have the self appointed channel 9 police "moderating"
    The t**ts that used to play music all night have moved on to trying to troll

There's cliques a plenty, nutters and simple irritants spread amongst those worth talking to.

it's not much different really just less interference and more channels :D
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It got me thinking if anyone out there still uses CB radio, and if so, why?

I imagine the frequencies are still used for people who need local two-way radios.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    14 for a copy..lol.. I had one,, they are so 80's now thou..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect most people who used CBs for fun are now using the internet, there's just so much potential for hobbyists to mess around with internet technologies.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Met a lot of people in the air during the 80's.Partied my way around the UK :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I genuinely don't know what they are. I do remember hearing though once that there are such things as CB Radio clubs and that for people who still use them. Might be worth a google to see if you can get in touch with people who do still use 'em. Bound to be a fair few.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years back I used to have to use one to keep in touch during work. Haven't touched one since I left that place .... chat rooms did take over for a while though.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my old school chums (who is about 2 years older than me) had a CB radio, back in 1984. We had great fun with it, chatting to all kinds of weird trucker men. She knew all the code words and call outs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk about bringing an old topic back up, so after finding this one whilst doing a google search, I thought I may as well! lol

Used CB Radio during the early 90's whilst at high school and the bug never really left me.

Though it's a hell of a lot quieter than it used to be (and I mean a LOT quieter), there's still a few on in my patch of the woods. Though I would agree, as fun as it is to earwig on them, I'm not sure I'm strange or odd enough to become their 'real life' friends.

All that said, in the late 90's I met a girl on the CB who later became my wife and we're still happily married after around 17 years after meeting.

For those that read this and were a bit of an anorak with their rigs, I had and still own a lot of gear, from President Lincoln radio's to the straight 40 chicken box's like the Uniden/Audiolines to the Rotel/Harrier/York Cybernet radios.
    My shed is still full of mobile antennas and still have an Antron99 in the shed (spare) and an iMax 2000 on the side of the house.

As I said above, really just use it for listening in on the local odd balls as I find the conversation amusing and do actually get to find some stuff out about the local are a too!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The existence of CB radio was directly responsible for this song. It'll either make you weep-or vomit.

Red Sovine-Teddy Bear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    That you, Bandit?
    I've my ears on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trouble with CB was that when it became legal over her in the UK it lost it's underground edge.
    It'd be the same with leaglisg ganja, once it becomes legal, it'll lose it's edge, will no longer be as popular and the conformists and shitbag politicians would have won.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one nine for a roger.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ooohhhhhhhhhh i had so much FUN with cb`s.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were popular for about three minutes back in the 80s weren't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    They were popular for about three minutes back in the 80s weren't they?

Popular until it became legal.
    It was better off as an underground craze and would have lasted longer...
    Wonder if it'd be possible to a DS version of Smokey And The Bandit
    (No doubt so ******'s probably going to have a go at remaking and updating it and having the audacity to call it Smokey And The Bandit!)
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an AM one for a while but never got it to work properly.
  • Options
    tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I had one, my handle was soldier blue, also meet my wife on there that was 30 yrs ago.