Teenage girls wearing makeup to school

Comments

• Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a hormonal teenage schoolboy, the girls in my class wore make up.

They also wore skirts as mini, or just above the knee.
    They's sew up the back split, so the skirts would be very tight.
    They wore black tights and high heels.
    Their white blouses were usually pretty tight too.

They may or may not have been sent home for this. Us boys were too busy drooling like idiots to notice.

I wish i went to this school!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    haha i took 20 min doing my make up in the morning and was constantly being told to remove it at school...never got why the school wwere a bit funny about it make up makes everyone look better!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter and all of her friends were make up to school. I don't mind but then I treat her like a young lady rather than a child because to me that's what she is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    when i was at school, i wore heavy eye make-up and frequently dyed my hair all manner of colours as i was going through that 'phase'...i was never once told to remove it or that it was a problem. i also managed to get away with a lip and bridge piercing for the whole of year 11, which is madness really. but i did witness other pupils being told to tone down their make up. i don't think there is much rhyme or reason too it, simply what teachers feel like.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    People should be allowed to wear foundation at school as long as it's not in an umpa lumpa shade.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Meh. Around here the boys wear more makeup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should be allowed to wear foundation at school as long as it's not in an umpa lumpa shade.

They're all emos round here, they like their foundation deathly pale, lots of eyeliner and mascara. Not an oompa loompa in sight!
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Clinique? At 13? She has expensive tastes for one so young. I wore make-up to school from about 14 or 15, but it had to be barely noticeable or you were sent to the sick room to have your face scrubbed. I'm going back to the 70's here though.

I agree that it's normal for teenage girls to experiment with make-up, but asking to borrow a neighbours foundation is a bit over the top imo.

Well my first foundation was from SHISEIDO Pureness, my mother did not want me to put any cheap stuff on my face because it was already damaged enough.:D

I never wore make up for school, but i'm pretty sure there was no policy about it. You could use whatever you wanted.
    I see kids these days with full on make up at school, i think it looks stupid, but then I can understand if everyone is doing it and it's allowed, no mother wanting their child to be the odd one out.

What I'm shocked is the neighbour asking for it.:eek:
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wore full make up to school in the 80s. I particularly like the cringeworthy black and gold full eyeshadow combo I used to walk around in, combined with dayglo orange cheeks and bright red lipstick

:D:D:D
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had my neighbour pop over and ask if she could borrow some face powder. I asked her if she meant like blusher, and she said no, she meant foundation because "X [her daughter] has run out and needs some". I said no because I'm a bit funny about other people using my foundation. Anyway, I don't particularly wish to lend out my very expensive Dior foundation so that a 13 year old child can wear it to school.

Which leads to my point - since when have girls been allowed to wear makeup to school? When I went to school, we would be sent to the office to get it removed if we were caught wearing any.

But then again there was a time when women weren't allowed to wear make-up to work in many jobs. Times change.

I wish schools would focus on issues of educational substance rather than obsess about this kind of peripheral nonsense.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    I wore full make up to school in the 80s. I particularly like the cringeworthy black and gold full eyeshadow combo I used to walk around in, combined with dayglo orange cheeks and bright red lipstick

That's exactly what i was thinking. I was a teen of the early 90s so it was all grunge for me, but when i see pics of teens in the 80's, my God, compared to you the kids now days are a bunch of amateurs. Must have been a right laugh. :D So it's actually quite funny when people talk about society decadence and the good old make up free days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore make up school. Don't understand the big deal?
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to wear make up to school, foundation and eye-liner mainly it was no big deal although the teachers hated it
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »

I think I love you, that's a fantastic image :p

I was in school in the 90s and early 00s and we all wore make up, I don't remember the teachers ever saying a word. When I was in secondary school there was a small group of girls who spent the whole of registration every morning working on their make up (they'd already done it at home as well, this was extra). I used to wear pale purple lip stick and eyeshadow and whatever colour mascara I could get my hands on. I still do that with the mascara, today it's purple, I'm thinking green tomorrow :D
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, so everyone but me wore makeup to school then? I went to school in the early to mid 90's and it must've been the strictest school ever as they were so rigid about the no makeup rule.

Perhaps I'm just a little naive, but I just think it's a bit sad that a 13 year old girl has been so conditioned that she can't even go to school without a full face of makeup. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, so everyone but me wore makeup to school then? I went to school in the early to mid 90's and it must've been the strictest school ever as they were so rigid about the no makeup rule.

Perhaps I'm just a little naive, but I just think it's a bit sad that a 13 year old girl has been so conditioned that she can't even go to school without a full face of makeup. :o

I was goth at school at 13, so I had black eyes and pale foundation and rouge lips.

Well what do you expect really when you have people like tabloids etc that constantly scream to hell and sundry if a celeb doesn't have make up on. It's going to make them think no make up isn't normal.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    She is probably unhappy about her acne. Make-up will not make it worse if she cleanses at the end of the day. It would be a good idea to teach her how to cleanse and moisturise her skin now to get her into the habit. I have been moisturising since I was 16 and I don't look my age. I never had teenage spots though. I'm sure you can buy make-up for bad skin.

What makes you think I am not already doing this. I am not going to allow her to wear foundation to school, even if she does wash it off before she does to bed.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't wear make up to school either, I didn't start wearing it till I was at college
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore makeup at school from year 8 onwards. I had bad skin and wanted to hide it, so for a year or two probably did trowel on the concealer and foundation a little bit. Apart from that I only ever wore a bit of mascara.

We weren't allowed to wear makeup, but the teachers only really bothered enforcing that rule on the girls who went to extremes with bright pink lipstick and really heavy eyeliner. Usually the same girls who were wearing mini skirts and stilettos!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's to do with conditioning as such. Teens like to experiment with their looks, mad make up, daft hair cuts, strange clothes.
    Honestly when my daughter has her friends round, it's like looking at a bunch of one eyed aliens as they all have a sweeping fringe that they straighten and leave over one eye.
    They'll look back at photos of themselves in ten years like this :eek: just like I look back at photos of myself from the Eighties looking like a reject from Strawberry Switchblade and my mum looks back at hers with her 2ft high backcombed beehive and white lipstick.
    It's what's great about being a teen, if my teens wants to wear make up and dye her hair purple, that's fine by me.
  • blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I don't know anything about makeup, but isn't the purpose of makeup to imrove your looks? I would say that if you can tell someone is wearing makeup then they are wearing too much.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to school in the 80's and we were allowed to wear subtle make up. Mascara and lip gloss was the norm so some would push it. I've had blonde highlights since i was 14 too and no problem with that.

Tbh though, I can't understand why a teenager would wanty or need to wear foundation. I never wore it until I was 30 and even then could get away without it. I would try and make sure my daughter keeps away from slapping it on her skin for as long as possible
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had my neighbour pop over and ask if she could borrow some face powder. I asked her if she meant like blusher, and she said no, she meant foundation because "X [her daughter] has run out and needs some". I said no because I'm a bit funny about other people using my foundation. Anyway, I don't particularly wish to lend out my very expensive Dior foundation so that a 13 year old child can wear it to school.

Which leads to my point - since when have girls been allowed to wear makeup to school? When I went to school, we would be sent to the office to get it removed if we were caught wearing any.

I think it's a BIT ridiculous to be honest. My sister allows her daughter to wear make-up to school and it's a bit crazy, really. School should be a place for learning, not to show off your looks. I don't know what's going on with the rules at schools these days.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i've two teen girls who although wear a bit of mascara & foundation dont plaster it on but you should see some of the girls - you've been tangoed isnt in it.

and the hair's awful all big and backcombed ala birdsnest :)
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Maybe the young girl has bad acne and feels the need to conceal it. Teenage years are tough enough without being laughed at for spots.

Don't let that get in the way of OUTRAGE though.

He will kill me if he sees this but my son wears a little foundation to cover his spots and he looks better for it