Advice needed on upgrading this pc ?

Hi, can anyone advise on how i can get this pc to perform better ? Its fairly old

Its an acer aspire L 100, it has a AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core processor, and 1gb of memory, other than get another pc, can i buy more memory to make it perfrom better ? How much memory will the mb take and what type do i need ?

When my friend gave it me it was running vista, but running slowly, we couldnt find vista disc so i did a full format and put xp proffesional on, its not running so great and locks up sometimes and makes a noise inside the case when its locking up, like its working hard, then i have to reboot. I did get a vista disc off ebay, not tried it yet, the windows vista jey is on teh side of the mini tower unit. Anyway, is more memory etc gonna help things ?

This is some info below on it if this helps ?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name J
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire L100
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2410 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 02/06/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name J
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 17.26 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.26 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Acording to the Crucial website, the RAM can go up to 2GB. You should run the tool on the website to confirm the exact type required.

Ideally you should get rid of XP and go for Win7, but realistically the cost of that plus the RAM probably outvalues the system IMO. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to achieve from this. Linux may be one option depending on your requirements are, or you could put the money towards a new system (which would arguably give you more of a performance boost for the money).
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Acording to the Crucial website, the RAM can go up to 2GB. You should run the tool on the website to confirm the exact type required.

Ideally you should get rid of XP and go for Win7, but realistically the cost of that plus the RAM probably outvalues the system IMO. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to achieve from this. Linux may be one option depending on your requirements are, or you could put the money towards a new system (which would arguably give you more of a performance boost for the money).

How much of a difference would an extra 1gb of memory make ?

Its sluggish at the mo, i have a dual core processor i think, are they any good ?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    An extra GB of RAM will make a noticable difference but so will disabling most start up programs that you don't need, MSCONFIG can do this but Ccleaner is easier to use and has other talents.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upgrading to 2GB RAM will make a big difference, and is cost effective. Try the crucial.com website.

As for buying Windows 7, it's going to get expensive. You might want to use the money to save up for a new PC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I hate throwing old kit out but I can't see this being a cost effective upgrade.

I have an X2 CPU running XP for old games. It really is dog slow, the RAM will make a difference but I'd repurpose it with Linux then at least if it does have a fault you can replace it.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Upgrading to 2GB RAM will make a big difference, and is cost effective. Try the crucial.com website.

As for buying Windows 7, it's going to get expensive. You might want to use the money to save up for a new PC.

Do i just need a stick of 1gb ddr2 memory to add to what i have ? will that be compatible for the motherboard ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    Do i just need a stick of 1gb ddr2 memory to add to what i have ? will that be compatible for the motherboard ?

That's why you need to use the scanner on the Crucial website. It will tell you exactly what you need.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    You need to run the Crucial app to check the memory situation properly. Also what is the motherboard? Find it hard to believe it maxes out at 2gb. Check the MB type with a free download CPU-Z. It will also tell you what slots the RAM is in.

I would say it is quite a useable machine but worth trying to put Vista back on if you have the CoA.
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    You need to run the Crucial app to check the memory situation properly. Also what is the motherboard? Find it hard to believe it maxes out at 2gb. Check the MB type with a free download CPU-Z. It will also tell you what slots the RAM is in.

I would say it is quite a useable machine but worth trying to put Vista back on if you have the CoA.

Ok, just did the scan, these were the results, below. Is it saying ive got 2 sticks of 512 in and a maximum of 2gb is possible ? So id need to buy 2x1 gb sticks of memory right and take out the 512 ones ?

-

Maximum memory: 2048MB
    Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
    *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
    512MB
    DDR PC2-5300
    512MB
    DDR PC2-5300

Memory or DRAM is the "working" memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.
    Forum Member
    Ok, just did the scan, these were the results, below. Is it saying ive got 2 sticks of 512 in and a maximum of 2gb is possible ? So id need to buy 2x1 gb sticks of memory right and take out the 512 ones ?
    Correct. The Crucial site should have listed a suitable kit after you ran the scan.

There is a possibility you would be able to buy it cheaper elsewhere but if you are in any doubt then stick to Crucial as they will refund in the event that it doesn't work with your system after running the checker.
    Forum Member
    Correct. The Crucial site should have listed a suitable kit after you ran the scan.

There is a possibility you would be able to buy it cheaper elsewhere but if you are in any doubt then stick to Crucial as they will refund in the event that it doesn't work with your system after running the checker.

it says

CT638322 - 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 128Meg x 64
    £28.79 inc. VAT

Is it just any ddr2 ram i need or does it need to be pc2 5300 after it ?? and does it need to have also the 128Meg x 64 bit after it ??

Will this do ?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251716112924?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it says

£28.79 inc. VAT

Is it just any ddr2 ram i need or does it need to be pc2 5300 after it ?? and does it need to have also the 128Meg x 64 bit after it ??

Will this do ?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251716112924?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

That's fine, apart from the fact it's a single 1GB DIMM, whereas you need two.
    Forum Member
    it says

£28.79 inc. VAT

The one you have linked to is PC2 5300 so should work yes, BUT, you have already said there are 2x 512mb modules installed. You will end up with 1.5GB (minus anything used for graphics) not 2GB.

-edit-
    Beaten to it by the Stig :p
    Forum Member
    The same shop is selling a Corsair stick in the Ad above.
    Forum Member
    Hang on a sec chaps. Just Googled the part number - CT638322 is SODIMM (ie. laptop RAM). OP is using a small form factor job so the regular desktop stuff linked on ebay is no good.
    Forum Member
    Well spotted s2k, thats saved a bad buy. The seller is not great at describing the item.

Maybe THIS page ?
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Well spotted s2k, thats saved a bad buy. The seller is not great at describing the item.

Maybe THIS page ?
    Nonono what I meant was that the results of the Crucial scan in post 12 implied that OPs system requires SODIMM.

The Aspire L100 appears to be a small form factor media centre thing, in which case regular desktop RAM is unlikely to fit (and this is what Crucial seem to believe based on the results).
    Forum Member
    I've got it now, it takes laptop memory ... lucky OP is not taking any notice (I hope) of my links :blush:.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows XP will run very well in 1GB, no need to increase memory if XP is being used. (It does use laptop memory for some reason)

But this machine obviously has a hardware fault "...locks up sometimes and makes a noise inside the case when its locking up"

That really needs to be dealt with before spending money.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Windows XP will run very well in 1GB, no need to increase memory if XP is being used. (It does use laptop memory for some reason)

But this machine obviously has a hardware fault "...locks up sometimes and makes a noise inside the case when its locking up"

That really needs to be dealt with before spending money.

I disagree, having ran XP Pro with 1GB and now 2GB the increase in performance is noticeable and looking at OP's stats ..........
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 17.26 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.26 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

his available available physical memory is down to 17.26 MB whereas I have 1.19GB so his computer is going to be using the page file as RAM a lot more than mine.

http://s22.postimg.org/7k1blefzl/RAM.png

The locking up and noise maybe the hard drive being 'thrashed'.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Windows XP will run very well in 1GB, no need to increase memory if XP is being used.
    I disagree. With SP3, AV, a modern web browser etc even XP can feel heavy on anything less than 2GB.
    Fair point that. Run SeaTools, OP. This will confirm the health status of the hard disk.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    '...noise like it's working hard' suggests fan problem or over zealous HDD access or maybe even graphics card whine.

Perhaps give it a whirl with Ubuntu for an evening's surfing and a few Youtube vids.
    See if it's any different. (Firefox browser is pre-installed and shortcut on the Desktop)

(Make a Live Bootable CD or USB Flash stick and boot but don't make a full install)

If the the PC does prove worth keeping I'd suggest 2GB and Vista (with SP2)

For future reference: If the License sticker is readable, you don't need to buy a Vista disc/license from eBay, you can make your own.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Bought this RAM myself recently and happy with both the product and the price.
    Forum Member
    I disagree. With SP3, AV, a modern web browser etc even XP can feel heavy on anything less than 2GB.

Fair point that. Run SeaTools, OP. This will confirm the health status of the hard disk.

Thanks. I downloaded that and did the test, not sure if it scanned the harddrive, but i didnt have a usb drive plugged in yet this mentions usb, generic card reader ?,, anyway this is a screen shot of the result, if you can advise ?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/stin74/drive.jpg
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I downloaded that and did the test, not sure if it scanned the harddrive, but i didnt have a usb drive plugged in yet this mentions usb, generic card reader ?,, anyway this is a screen shot of the result, if you can advise ?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/stin74/drive.jpg
    It hasn't picked up your SATA drives for whatever reason. Give WD lifeguard a try instead.