No sound from PC

I'm not able to get any sound from my PC this morning. Everything seems to be connected properly , so I don't know what the problem is.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Do I just disconnect and re connect for starters?

It is a Dell , two years old, I don't know the exact make.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing to check.

Is there an icon like a speaker down in the taskbar area near the clock display?

If so click on it and a volume slider should appear. Make sure the MUTE box is not ticked and the slider "knob" is somewhere other than the bottom. If not then double click on the speaker and a mixer should open. Again check that none of the MUTE boxes are ticked and the slider "knob" positions.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you lost your hearing in the night?
    Have you tried turning off and on again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    First thing to check.

Is there an icon like a speaker down in the taskbar area near the clock display?

If so click on it and a volume slider should appear. Make sure the MUTE box is not ticked and the slider "knob" is somewhere other than the bottom. If not then double click on the speaker and a mixer should open. Again check that none of the MUTE boxes are ticked and the slider "knob" positions.

Yes That's it. I must have clicked on it by mistake. Thank you so much. I'm afraid I don't know my way round a PC!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Yes That's it. I must have clicked on it by mistake. Thank you so much. I'm afraid I don't know my way round a PC!
    Not sure if this applies to all versions of Windows or not but in XP for certain you can disable the taskbar icon if you never use it.

If you right click on the icon and select "Adjust Audio Properties" a box pops up. On the Volume tab is a tick box "Place volume icon on taskbar". Untick that and no chance of you accidentally muting the speakers ever again. :)

Fairly sure Win Vista and Win 7 have similar settings but not in front of a suitable PC to check.