Does anyone else think 2013 has been a real letdown in terms of good albums?

Comments

• crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to expand your radar to find good music.

Goldfrapp's album is amazing.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Albums that I've really enjoyed this year:

Once I Was An Eagle - Laura Marling
    Paramore - Paramore
    Volume Three - She & Him
    AM - Arctic Monkeys
    PRISM - Katy Perry (this took a few listens. I wasn't totally sold at first)
    Love Lust Faith + Dreams - Thirty Seconds To Mars
    Same Trailer, Different Park - Kacey Musgraves
    Annie Up - Pistol Annies
    Little Letters - Paper Aeroplanes
    Living For The Weekend - The Saturdays
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Pet Shop Boys and Alison Moyet were my favourites this year. Robbie, Bastille, Hurts, Disclosure and Cher also have a lot of love from me too.
    crazymonk wrote: »
    Goldfrapp's album is amazing.

I listened to this on Spotify and found it's incredible boring, but I saw it on offer in HMV yesterday so I'm going to give it another go. I might not have been in the right frame of mind when I first listened :D
    tim18 wrote: »
    I like gaga and perry but i dont like artpop or prism. Anyone else feel the same?

Initially yes, but ARTPOP is growing on me. It's not a patch on BTW or The Fame, but it went from being about 3/10 to around 7.5/10. Jewels and Drugs is utterly abysmal and shouldn't have ever seen light of day!

Prism has hardly any catchy tracks so I find it a chore to listen too. It just plays in the background. The last couple of tracks on the special edition are pretty good though.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I like gaga and perry but i dont like artpop or prism. Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, I do. I couldn't be more disappointed in these albums if I tried. I think PR hype is a big part of the problem - these artists really art built up so much it's almost impossible to live up to what's expected.

Thanks everyone for listing some of the artists you've enjoyed this year. Some are unfamiliar to me so I will check them out an give them a chance. Others have had so little promo I had no idea they had an album out. So I'm glad I started this thread. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Charli XCX, Sky Ferreira, HAIM, Stooshe, CHVRCHES, Lady GaGa, Little Mix... it's not been a bad year!!
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of those are good and they are pretty mainstream, so why is mainstream 'drivel'?

I meant Lady Gaga/Miley Cyrus/ Robin Thicke /David Guetta mainstream and most of them aren't particularly mainstream but have a lot of buzz, which is different.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys - AM
    Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
    Panic! At The Disco - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare Too Die
    Paramore - Paramore
    Bastille - Bad Blood
    Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
    Avenged Sevenfold - Hail To The King

Been a good year for albums for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I listened to this on Spotify and found it's incredible boring, but I saw it on offer in HMV yesterday so I'm going to give it another go. I might not have been in the right frame of mind when I first listened :D

Spotify is great for listening to albums before you buy them.

It's actually great for listening to albums released in any year you like, never mind 2013. The whole of music seems to be on there, and surely one definition of 'new' in this context is that you haven't heard it before.

I might hear an album from, say, 1975 on Spotify by an artist I've never heard before, but have seen recommended on a forum or something, and it becomes a new album to me. This is how I discovered the 70s band Fox, for instance, whose album was one of my favourites from a couple of years ago, despite having been first released 2 years before I was born! :)
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    There's been some brilliant albums this year. I've literally listened over and over again to Exile by Hurts. I also love Bad Blood by Bastille and CHVRCHES album too.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've thought that every year since the 70s :D

At least as far as pop genre go...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me i have had many albums i have LOVED and think in time will continue to be great too...these are

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (a modern classic IMO)
    Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
    Solange - True EP
    Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe
    Lady gaga - ARTPOP
    Charli XCX - True Romance
    Disclosure - Settle
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    Britney Spears - Britney Jean
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest
    Kendrick Lamar - good Kid Maaad City

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    2013 has been a fantastic year for music in my opinion, though possibly not for mainstream, mega-popular music.

Phoenix - Bankrupt!
    Disclosure - Settle
    Robert DeLong - Just Movement
    Lorde - Pure Heroine

...are all fine albums, whilst I found:

Classixx - Hanging Gardens
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
    Gold Panda - Half of Where You Live
    Kanye West - Yeezus
    AlunaGeorge - Body Music
    CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
    The Range - Nonfiction

to be EXCELLENT albums that are all at least 9/10 for me.

I love 2013 for music.
    For me i have had many albums i have LOVED and think in time will continue to be great too...these are

Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
    Solange - True EP
    Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe
    Lady gaga - ARTPOP
    Disclosure - Settle
    Britney Spears - Britney Jean
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest
    Kendrick Lamar - good Kid Maaad City

Wow we've got similar tastes hahaha :D I really like the albums I've put in bold, and I'm in the process of deliberation of choosing a pile of albums to get for Christmas for my good self and the ones that are underlined are definite possibilities! :)

Although ARTPOP was, for me, underwhelming ( and as a Gaga fan I'm a little :o:( at saying that) as a start to finish album, which is how I listen to music
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershock by Motorhead is brilliant, also Re-mit by The Fall was good. Push Away the Sky by Nick Cave too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Albums I've enjoyed this year:

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    Agnes Obel - Aventine
    Elvis Costello & The Roots - Wise Up Ghost
    Laura Veirs - Warp And Weft
    Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us
    Bill Callahan - Dream River
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Any year that the Thomas Was Alone Soundtrack came out couldn't be too bad.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2013 has been a fantastic year for new music. At least I think so.

Although, to be fair, none of it has come from the major record labels and none of it got anywhere near the charts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with OP slightly.
    The big commercial stars have had so much hype around their material yet for me, it also hasn't lived up to the hype.

Jessie J - Alive (I can't say enough how disappointed I am with this album. I was willing to let it grow on me but sadly I've given up!)

Justin Timberlake - 20/20 Experience (Mirrors such a great song to this day but the album is all a bit BLAH!)

Lady Gaga - Artpop (Gypsy deserves to be a massive success for her but the album itself is chaos)

Britney Spears - Britney Jean (The woman needs to divorce Will.I.Am ASAP, the man does her no favours!! Her album has disappointed me greatly.. On further listens it might grow on me but I really think it could be her worst album yet)

I know Katy Perry - Prism has divided people but for me she has produced a more mature sound. Her album is the surprise hit of the year for me. Legendary Lovers, Ghost, Black Horse, It Takes Two.. All screaming to be singles. Commercially, this is how its done!!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The best album of the year.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although, to be fair, none of it has come from the major record labels and none of it got anywhere near the charts.

Do you have any reccomendations in particular? I'm very curious. :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huge let down of a year in terms of albums. I always make a list through the year of the albums i want and then i put them into two different categories of whether i liked and purchase or whether i didn't. The latter list is so long. I have found myself liking albums i was never originally that excited for.

I never thought i would ever do this, but Britney Jean is the first ever i will not be buying from her. It has been my huge let down of the year. It is a production and creative mess.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member

I never thought i would ever do this, but Britney Jean is the first ever i will not be buying from her. It has been my huge let down of the year. It is a production and creative mess.

I feel the same way about it.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good year for singles, bad year for albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed the album releases this year from such folk as Drake and Lorde as well as (don't hit me) that Kanye album.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would agree, there have been some brilliant Rock albums released this year across all genres (and sub-genres!).
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

any recomendations :D looking for some new music to listen to myself :cool: