Buying Microsoft Word

Hi,

I need to get Microsoft word and have a few questions if anyone can help please.

a) Can I purchase this product without Office?

b) Can it be brought on a disc?

c) Does it matter which version I buy (eg say the 2007 version) - would any version still 'acknowledge' a document typed on a more recent version?

The reason I want Word is that I have lots of different documents on this pc and another older pc which all need bringing together - I have some documents that I've saved which can't be read with Wordpad or Paint and it's all very messy, so I just want to get some cohesion, have all documents filed under the same programme and bring everything up to date.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally one version of Word will read documents created with older versions of Word but cannot be guaranteed to read documents created with newer versions. Sometimes Microsoft do add-on packs that do let older versions of Word read newer document formats.

As an alternative have you considered a free office suite such as LibreOffice? The word processor in that has pretty good compatibility with Word. I have certainly not found a Word document it won't read, though that's not to say such a thing doesn't exist.

Might be worth trying and as it's free won't have cost you anything, other than a bit of time downloading and installing it, if you find you can't live with it.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying Word as a separate product is not cheap
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Word-2013/productID.260257700

Far better to do as suggested above and try Libre Office
    http://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get LibreOffice... it's free so worth a shot... And, no, just because it's free doesn't mean it's inferior to MS Word in any way...
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Or WPS Office (Formerly Kingsoft) http://www.wps.com/windows/. Still Free and a better alternative to MS Office IMO.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give free alternatives a shot to see if they can handle what you need. If not, get the Office Home and Student 2013 or 365, compatibility with itself granted. It's easier than trying to get Word only.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    a) Can I purchase this product without Office?
    Yes but it's not cost effective to do so. There are certain editions of MS Office that are cheaper than the individual bits,
    b) Can it be brought on a disc?
    Not anymore no. You normally get a product key and a link to download the software from the MS website.

Alternatively there is Office 365 which is a subscription to a website.
    c) Does it matter which version I buy (eg say the 2007 version) - would any version still 'acknowledge' a document typed on a more recent version?
    The latest versions will happily read documents made in previous versions and will still save to regular .doc format if required (rather than the newer .docx format)

One thing you may wish to take into account is that if the PC is running either XP or Vista then the very latest version (2013) will not work. Office 2010 is the latest version that will run on these platforms. Since this is no longer available officially you may have trouble picking it up.

As others have mentioned there are free alternatives to consider too. Another that is worth looking at is Office Starter 2010 which is cut down versions of MS Word and Excel 2010 free for home users.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I'd give free alternatives a shot to see if they can handle what you need. If not, get the Office Home and Student 2013 or 365, compatibility with itself granted. It's easier than trying to get Word only.

That's probably the cheapest one off way of getting Office/Word currently (ca. £100). Although they understandably don't publicise it now, the free, ad-supported Microsoft Office Starter Edition 2010 is still available from some software repositories. As for other free alternatives, my own favourite is FreeOffice here: http://www.freeoffice.com/ (available for both Windows and Linux).
  • Angela RAngela R Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

I've been told by work that I have to use MS Word for my documents (no alternatives) and I can't seem to fathom what to get. What is the subscription? Can you not just buy Word outright? I would need it for a PC and a laptop running Windows 7.

Also, can I run 2 versions of Word on the same computer?

Thanks
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you use LibreOffice, you can produce files which are in Word format and probably only an expert would be able to tell from files actually produced by Word itself.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela R wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

I've been told by work that I have to use MS Word for my documents (no alternatives) and I can't seem to fathom what to get. What is the subscription? Can you not just buy Word outright? I would need it for a PC and a laptop running Windows 7.

Also, can I run 2 versions of Word on the same computer?

Thanks

Do you have to use Word or just Word format files?

If you need to buy it, you can get Office365 (which is just an annual subscription to the software) for £61 for 5 PCs. Otherwise, Word is £93 for 1 user install.

Why would you want two versions on the same PC?
    Forum Member
    It definitely has to be MS Word.

So for Office 365, I would have to pay £61 a year? Yikes!!

I'd like to versions of Word because I'm very fond of my Word 2003 but I have to use a newer version for work.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If work want it then work should pay for it is my view and getting multiple versions of word working may be possible but the pratting around and general arseing around would probably be a right royal pain in the bum and every patch could require messing around so it may be worth getting used to the ribbon

obviously with a good pc you could perhaps use a vm just for work stuff but like anything it can become messy
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect that what your work requires are documents IN THE WORD FORMAT, i.e. .doc or .docx format.

How you get that is not really for your employer to dictate unless he is prepared to buy you a copy of the approved version of Microsoft Word.

As you have a fondness for Word 2003, many do, you will find that LibreOffice Writer, a part of the free LibreOffice Suite will be very familiar to you and will produce documents in the .doc and .docx format and many others beside.

In practical terms I urge you to try this out before you spend any of your own money on software that you do not need.

The entire LibreOffice can be downloaded from here ...

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
    Forum Member
    thanks - I'll give that a try!
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow this thread is an eye-opener - never knew you could get decent office suites for free!:o Don't need this right now but info herein will doubtless become useful in the future.:p
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a national company with many offices and we use Apache Open Office as standard, although some machines have MS Office. We swap files with other companies, schools and government bodies and using the free Office Suites for word processing and spreasdsheets, we've never had compatibility problems of any sort, even with some of the huge and complex documents that are shared.

My last company I worked for also used free software, plus it seems Google's ecosystem of using Google Drive for sharing documents seems to be standard with every company we deal with.

Free Office software makes sense, and those who actively seek to buy Microsoft's products should really take note of what's happening in the real world of business.

Mark
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can get a free copy of ms starter pack, (it was preinstalled on mylaptop ) it has cut down versions of word and excel, but did everything I needed.

I recently paid for office 365, though, and it really has some nice features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So for Office 365, I would have to pay £61 a year? Yikes!!

I'd like to versions of Word because I'm very fond of my Word 2003 but I have to use a newer version for work.

Don't forget Office 2003 is just as EOL dead as Windows XP. It might have slipped under a lot of people's radar, whereas most XP diestupids are just being bloody minded.

Libre Office +1 for me, there are incompatibilities, just depends how hard you look :) Mainly formatting and text/word art.