Options

Why do I have to 'consume with 24 hours'?

simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I buy a pack of 2 fresh chicken fillets regularly but only eat one at a time.

It says once opened, consume within 24 hours - can anyone explain why? I always wrap the remaining one in cling film and keep it in the fridge so why can't it last until the best before date?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Once opened its no longer sealed and exposure to the air will increase bacterial growth perhaps?
    I'm no scientist but I think thats why.
  • Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it's sealed in the packaging it will not be regular air in there (I can't remember what inert gas they use though). This helps prevent bacteria spreading. But once you have opened it up to the world the bacteria can start spreading so the levels after that 24 hours can become dangerous.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are some daft people out there who don't know how to store food & labelling is worded to try to make it clear to daftest they shouldn't leave fresh food lying around too long --- personally I'd be cooking either both & reheating second one next day OR cooking 1 & freezing the other
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I usually cook one one evening then the other the following but occasionally I'm not able to and it seems a waste throwing it away when it's been wrapped in cling film in the fridge.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker wrote: »
    When it's sealed in the packaging it will not be regular air in there (I can't remember what inert gas they use though). This helps prevent bacteria spreading. But once you have opened it up to the world the bacteria can start spreading so the levels after that 24 hours can become dangerous.

Carbon dioxide, it's not just inert, its mildly bacteriocidal.

OP If it says it's suitable for home freezing on the day of purchase, you could bag up the spare one and put it straight into the freezer when you get home.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member

OP If it says it's suitable for home freezing on the day of purchase, you could bag up the spare one and put it straight into the freezer when you get home.

Why is it suitable for home freezing on day of purchase never after?
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »

For the same reason it says "consume within 24 hours". Nothing is ever exact to the minute as the exact conditions vary from case to case, these statements are really more like rules of thumb.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've often ignored that advice with no ill effects.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it passes the usual smell/look/touch (some things, like chicken gets really slimy to the touch when off) tests then I pretty much ignore any dates on packaging.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they're changing that to freezing before the use by date.
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member

It's perfectly safe to freeze food up until the "Use By" date, as after all your fridge is no warmer than the shop's, and you could have bought it from the shop on any day up until the "Use By" date. The imprecation to freeze on the day of purchase dates back to an era when fridges were unreliable and inaccurate, and therefore couldn't be assumed equivalent to the shops'. I thought that packaging today was supposed to say "before the Use By date" rather than "the day of purchase" to try to reduce waste, but I could be wrong, and I don't have any packaged meat around at the moment.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    If it passes the usual smell/look/touch (some things, like chicken gets really slimy to the touch when off) tests then I pretty much ignore any dates on packaging.

Same.

If something is 'off', you will know about it.

Otherwise, happy days.

Especially for raw meat, if the thing is about to be cooked in 200 degree heat for 20 minutes it certainly wont harm you afterward even if it did have an unhealthy concentration of bacteria beforehand.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fresh meat is often packed in nitrogen. Once you pierce the plastic wrap normal air can get in. Basically, bacteria doesn't grow absent oxygen but once you let the air in it can go nuts.

However, you're perfectly right. You don't even need to wrap the remaining chicken in cling film (actually I'm wondering if that's worse than just covering it. Honestly no advice - you'd need to google it) it'll be fine most likely. Food will rot eventually, but you can smell it. I do not suggest you do this but even partially rotten food can be eaten without life-threatening results. Chicken is prone to salmonella but salmonella is all around us and there are different strains of it, however what is most likely to spoil your food is just some opportunistic bacteria. Thing is, we can digest bacteria just as easily as we digest poultry. Again, not recommending it, just pointing out the facts. We actually eat, for instance, so-called "blue cheese" but would turn our noses up at, for instance, blue bread. Logical? Not really.

A piece of chicken can potentially be kept in the fridge for weeks, months or years without rotting. It's statistically highly unlikely but it is possible. There is no mechanism that routinely makes meat bad after a certain length of time, it takes actual bacterial infection to spoil it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't anyone use the butcher any more? No packaging or use by dates to worry about. Just make sure you store it properly.

As others have said, as long as you are reasonably healthy, just rely on your senses. If it looks OK and smells OK it probably is OK. I rarely bother with sell by dates on anything and I've never been ill. Once you free yourself from the tyranny of sell by dates you'll throw much less food away.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't wrap in cling film

foil is better

and pat with a paper towel before wrapping

I'd keep a fresh chicken fillet like that for 3-4 days
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more to do with supermarkets covering their arses in terms of liability.

The chances are that the chicken will be fine for a few days, especially if it has been kept wrapped and in a fridge, but if you do get the runs after eating it 3 days later then it's not their fault.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carbon dioxide, it's not just inert, its mildly bacteriocidal..

Most places use nitrogen now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally ignore things like this, and go for the common sense approach when it comes to food storage times.

Its never done me an ounce of harm!
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really, really simple.

Day 1: Open packet. Cook one, freeze the other.
    Day 2: If you want it for tea, take it out and leave it in a bowl to unfreeze. Otherwise, you have safely frozen your chicken so you can use it a month later, if you'd prefer.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    monkeyphobius