I really hope Sam Bailey helps change this ageist music industry

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It will be very tough to do, as people now believe if you are over 35 you are past it, don't deserve Radio Play and won't sell. It is really sad, I think you should be able to start a career at any age if your voice is good enough. Hopefully Sam gets the marketing, promotion and most importantly the songs that suit her. The Adult Contemporary Market is incredibly lucrative if tapped into correctly.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For her to change anything people will have to support her by buying her records. someone can have as much marketing and money spent on them and still flop. But if people buy her music and see her live then you never know things may indeed change :)
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    If Sam Bailey fails, then it is nothing to do with her age, but just with the way she looks. Her "people" will blame it on the ageist industry, because it's kínder to say that, than to actually admit the truth, that she isn't that great looking, and doesn't have a good figure. I.E. If Nicole S flops, or makes a bad record, then nobody is ever going to say it is because of her age are they? Because although Nicole S is actually only a year younger than Sam Bailey, Nicole is a natural beauty and imo has everything going for her.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue isn't her age. The issue is that she doesn't bring anything interesting or different to the table. She has a great voice, but there's nothing particularly special about her.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who?

of course thats a joke, but id be surprised if she gets a real career.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ageist? I went to see Black Sabbath at a sold out arena gig in Belfast last week - a band of men pushing 70 who drew a crowd with an average age in their late 20s to early 30s!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's tough for Sam. Had it not been for the X Factor then she'd have never been given the time of day by a label solely because of her age/image. Yet it's because of X Factor she'll never be taken seriously either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    If the music is good, people will buy it. If it's the usual covers or fluff, then she'll have nothing but her image - and it's not sexy or unusual enough to make her stand out.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    She will sell albums and probably get airplay on Radio 2 and Heart FM.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    If Sam Bailey fails, then it is nothing to do with her age, but just with the way she looks. Her "people" will blame it on the ageist industry, because it's kínder to say that, than to actually admit the truth, that she isn't that great looking, and doesn't have a good figure. I.E. If Nicole S flops, or makes a bad record, then nobody is ever going to say it is because of her age are they? Because although Nicole S is actually only a year younger than Sam Bailey, Nicole is a natural beauty and imo has everything going for her.

That's not ageism, that's sexism. But you are right that image is an important part of pop culture. I didn't like the way it was assumed that Sam should be a 'Diva' because of her age and look. Adele is younger but is similar image wise. And for what it's worth, if guys like myself who like the fuller figured women would just say so, it might help a lot.
    The issue isn't her age. The issue is that she doesn't bring anything interesting or different to the table. She has a great voice, but there's nothing particularly special about her.

Yep, great voice but a bit clueless about how to use it. She didn't grasp the poignant, reflective nature of 'Candle in the Wind' when she performed it like a 'big' song. Not a good sign for the future. But she does a good job on 'Skyscraper'. I like her.
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Ageist? I went to see Black Sabbath at a sold out arena gig in Belfast last week - a band of men pushing 70 who drew a crowd with an average age in their late 20s to early 30s!

Different situation, these guys were successful when they were young men. This is a nostalgia trip not unlike the The Stones tour. The problem is starting out later in life...the Susan Boyle scenario.
    Sometimes you have to win over a new audience but you start from a different place if you are Sabbath or Zeppelin.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will definitely flop.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just using her as an example, artists like Celine, Mariah are struggling as due to their age they aren't getting air plays etc. These are even established artists. It has been along time since a person man or woman is just starting their career (well getting a record deal and publicity) in their mid 30's. It will be interesting to see how they are accepted.

Maybe it will be, well sorry you not in you teen's or 20's just go away. Will there be any effort put into marketing her.

Songwriters such as Sia and Diane Warren should be brought in to help her with her sound. The Adult Contemporary Market can be huge if the correct material is found.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just using her as an example, artists like Celine, Mariah are struggling as due to their age they aren't getting air plays etc. These are even established artists. It has been along time since a person man or woman is just starting their career (well getting a record deal and publicity) in their mid 30's. It will be interesting to see how they are accepted.

Maybe it will be, well sorry you not in you teen's or 20's just go away. Will there be any effort put into marketing her.

Songwriters such as Sia and Diane Warren should be brought in to help her with her sound. The Adult Contemporary Market can be huge if the correct material is found.

But this to me is where the ageism often comes in in the music industry today. There is a place for older artists but they are categorized and sort of forced to do AC /BBC 2 slower softer ballads. Great if you enjoy that type of music and it's you. But what if it's not you? What about older artists who enjoy dance or indie/alternative rock? They are often ridiculed and told they are trying to hold onto their youth and be trendy, when in reality they are just being themselves. I don't like the stereotypes about what kind of music is appropriate for people over a certain age.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    But this to me is where the ageism often comes in in the music industry today. There is a place for older artists but they are categorized and sort of forced to do AC /BBC 2 slower softer ballads. Great if you enjoy that type of music and it's you. But what if it's not you? What about older artists who enjoy dance or indie/alternative rock? They are often ridiculed and told they are trying to hold onto their youth and be trendy, when in reality they are just being themselves. I don't like the stereotypes about what kind of music is appropriate for people over a certain age.

Totally agree with you! Music should be able to be listened by everyone
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be very tough to do, as people now believe if you are over 35 you are past it, don't deserve Radio Play and won't sell. It is really sad, I think you should be able to start a career at any age if your voice is good enough. Hopefully Sam gets the marketing, promotion and most importantly the songs that suit her. The Adult Contemporary Market is incredibly lucrative if tapped into correctly.

Thoughts ?

Tamar Braxton is a good example. Her career has only just taken off and she's 36. When she was in her 20s she released an album but it was a flop.

She came back over 10 years later with a hit reality TV show and her own spin-off and has now released a #1 album in the U.S. which has spawned a platinum radio hit single Love and War and earned her 3 Grammy nominations.

All that happened in her late-30s, so it's proof that age isn't a barrier if you have the talent.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sam has the vocals or the image to pull something like that off, but we'll see.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thoughts ?
    What part of the 'music industry' specifically? There's countless older singers making a very nice living out of singing and recording. I take it you mean pop - or at least Radio 1 oriented - music, and to narrow it down even further, you mean female singers within that very narrow range?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not followed the X-factor I did see that horrendous shouting competition she did with Nicole.

I've listened to her cover and from the perspective of someone who doesn't know much about her, her version sounds like a demo version or one of those fake covers that spring up for every chart hit.

I'd be amazed if she has a viable long term recording career but she may do well in theatre or cruise ship singing etc..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

Unfortunately, I don't think Sam has the vocals or the image to pull something like that off, but we'll see.

as i see it, (and im agreeing with you here) , sam needs identity. atm shes just won the countries biggest karaoke/talent show, she needs an image, an identity, because all she is atm is a middle aged woman who sang afew songs. i dont think she will make it big either, unless she can carve herself (or have it done for her) a niche. atm shes just ordinary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    What part of the 'music industry' specifically? There's countless older singers making a very nice living out of singing and recording. I take it you mean pop - or at least Radio 1 oriented - music, and to narrow it down even further, you mean female singers within that very narrow range?
    To expand on my post above, I can't see her breaking that particular market segment, not because of ageism or sexism, but simply because I can't see Sam Bailey trying to appeal to the tween market so beloved by the likes of Gaga, Perry and Rhianna. Susan Boyle never tried; do you think she or Cowell are in the least bit concerned by that? Not a bit of it.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will not succeed unless she has artistry, I don't think she will write anything decent personally, I'm expecting a covers album in the future (like Jahmane's)!
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Boyle still seems to be doing alright regardless...

I've got nothing against Sam personally or for that matter any if its other contestants. But the simple fact is these people are on the show in the first place because they have no talent for writing/producing their own material.

As a result of that they are therefore totally reliant on what they are given. And if that stinks or doesn't gel with people that is why they fail. Its really nothing to do with their age or how they look.

People mention Radio 1 being ageist and I would agree with that. Although their age policy can be very hypocritical and badly defined, one artist will fail to make their playlist, yet another of similar age and quality of music will be played. It doesn't make any sense at times.

To be honest in Sam's case I don't think Radio 1 listeners would be her target audience anyway.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Boyle still seems to be doing alright regardless....

She's a novelty act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    She's a novelty act.
    Is that sarcasm? Of course she's not a novelty act. :confused:
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once the buzz has died down, people will start forgetting. I think she is going to find it really hard in 6 months time. As soon as the new x-factor series is imminent then it will be sam bailey who? Most people buying the song now will delete it as it simply isnt trendy to have. Its a shame but thats the way it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan Boyle still seems to be doing alright regardless...

I've got nothing against Sam personally or for that matter any if its other contestants. But the simple fact is these people are on the show in the first place because they have no talent for writing/producing their own material.

As a result of that they are therefore totally reliant on what they are given. And if that stinks or doesn't gel with people that is why they fail. Its really nothing to do with their age or how they look.

subo has a market, she has a ready made target audience, i cant see where sam bailey will fit in. too old to court the teen/younger market with raunchy pop (madge has just not dropped it, which is different to coming in 'old'). too young to appeal to the adult/classical/opera type of fan like subo.

you dont need a talent for writing your own material if you have the talent to use your voice to interpret a song... elvis, sinatra, etc etc etc did.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Is that sarcasm? Of course she's not a novelty act. :confused:

Of course she's a novelty act. She sell's music based on her appearance, her albums are just full of covers.

She's pretty much the very definition of novelty.