Options

Would it be better for me to not mention my degree?

big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here is the situation I am in as I am applying for jobs (I am working at the moment but wouldn't mind getting something else soon).

When I was at University, for reasons I'll not go into, I made a mess of my degree, and ended up graduating without honours. Those are the facts. so I would appreciate if people left constructive comments rather than criticising me, i know already why that happened.

I now feel that is the worst possible situation to be in when I have looked at applying for jobs. I'm stuck both ways. Firstly, I am unable to apply for graduate jobs because they would not ever entertain anyone who does not have at least a 2:1 level or above of degree. Secondly, it's difficult to find something at a lower level than a graduate job because they see a degree of any sort being too highly qualified.

I sometimes think to myself it would be more beneficial for me to pretend that I don't have a degree at all. Would this be a good idea given what I have said?

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a job specifically requesting a degree then you still qualify, though if they are asking for a 2:1 then obviously you don't. As for other jobs, absolutely list. First it fill a blank in your job history as to what you were up to for 3 years and secondly a 2:2 is better then no degree.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    Here is the situation I am in as I am applying for jobs (I am working at the moment but wouldn't mind getting something else soon).

When I was at University, for reasons I'll not go into, I made a mess of my degree, and ended up graduating without honours. Those are the facts. so I would appreciate if people left constructive comments rather than criticising me, i know already why that happened.

I now feel that is the worst possible situation to be in when I have looked at applying for jobs. I'm stuck both ways. Firstly, I am unable to apply for graduate jobs because they would not ever entertain anyone who does not have at least a 2:1 level or above of degree. Secondly, it's difficult to find something at a lower level than a graduate job because they see a degree of any sort being too highly qualified.

I sometimes think to myself it would be more beneficial for me to pretend that I don't have a degree at all. Would this be a good idea given what I have said?

How would you explain the big gap in your cv then? You will have 3 years at Uni which if you don't mention will look like you spent 3 years sitting at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If its a job specifically requesting a degree then you still qualify, though if they are asking for a 2:1 then obviously you don't. As for other jobs, absolutely list. First it fill a blank in your job history as to what you were up to for 3 years and secondly a 2:2 is better then no degree.

There aren't any blanks in my job history, though. I was working throughout the entire three years of University, actuallly for the same company that I still work for today. So, there isn't a need to use the degree to fill in an employment gap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There aren't any blanks in my job history, though. I was working throughout the entire three years of University, actuallly for the same company that I still work for today. So, there isn't a need to use the degree to fill in an employment gap.

Can't you just be vague and put on your cv that you got a degree in whatever it is and not mention the honours bit? No-one will check.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I sometimes don't bother saying what class degree I got, I have a degree that's all they need to know and especially now that my degree was done some years ago and my work experience is more important. If they want to know what I got they can ask me in the interview.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I sometimes don't bother saying what class degree I got, I have a degree that's all they need to know and especially now that my degree was done some years ago and my work experience is more important. If they want to know what I got they can ask me in the interview.
    I started with a pass degree from a polytechnic and graduated when jobs were difficult for graduates in 1981, so ended up with a lowish level job but ended up working for 2 years in Libya in it. I now have a pretty successful career and a few extra qualifications (a BSc hons, a BA hons, an MSc and an MBA).

I'd mention the degree, just not the classification, and there is always the possibility of improving it with distance learning (e.g. the OU)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »

Most jobs specifically aimed at graduates (which I believe is the position OP is in) these days ask for a 2:1 or above and it will be stated on the ad. My company does and they do check, people have had job offers withdrawn because of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you explain the big gap in your cv then? You will have 3 years at Uni which if you don't mention will look like you spent 3 years sitting at home.

Or the nick. :o

OP, is there no way you can 'top up' your degree to get the Hons?
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be looking at topping up the degree with the open university. You can transfer credits from your degree so you would only have a few courses to do. That would solve the problem permanently.

In the short term I would only mention that you have a degree and don't mention the classification unless someone asks about it. Forget graduate entry jobs until you have sorted out your degree or until you have substantial work experience in the relevant area.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Erm without honours isn't a 2:2 it's a third.

On your cv list the degree without the grade. As others have said it will account for the time you spent on it.

If you get to interview it might well come up so you should be prepared to discuss why you think you got that grade, that will be your chance to spin it into something more positive. Lessons learned, knew it was a subject you hated 2 years in but determined to complete etc

Tbh though if you go into a job which isn't specifically a grad job and work your way up you will still benefit more from having a degree than not when it comes to being considered for promotion, and the grade will be much less of a factor.

Best of luck
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not every graduate employer will turn down someone with a 2:2. Extra-curricular stuff is becoming more important to them these days, so if you ran a society or did some volunteering, make a big deal of it to show that you have the skills and competencies they're after.

And don't mention the 2:2 until someone asks. I never did, and they didn't actually care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify - some people have said what I can do with a 2:2, I haven't got that. I've got a degree without honours, so it just a pass. Essentially, I got the lowest degree you can get without actually failing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or the nick. :o

OP, is there no way you can 'top up' your degree to get the Hons?

He's explained the gap in his cv, although I still wouldn't leave it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    I would be looking at topping up the degree with the open university. You can transfer credits from your degree so you would only have a few courses to do. That would solve the problem permanently.

In the short term I would only mention that you have a degree and don't mention the classification unless someone asks about it. Forget graduate entry jobs until you have sorted out your degree or until you have substantial work experience in the relevant area.

I have looked into to doing top ups, but seem to get conflicting information. I was under the impression that once a degree classification was awarded, that's it. There's nothing you can do about it unless you do the whole thing again. Is that not the case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, the reason that I ended up with that degree is my own inability to prioritise my degree over my job. I did too many hours at work than would be recommended and so just didn't give myself enough time to do the degree work to as a good a standard as I know I was capable of. So, it was completely my own fault as I couldn't manage my time properly, although it wasn't because I was spending my time out on the lash instead of doing my work, which I know is the reason some people don't do as well, but that doesn't apply to me.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Were you awarded a Diploma? I know some places award diploma's(where I work does) to students who don't get the 3rd, 2.2,2.1 etc. If so you could just put that you have a Diploma in x instead of saying you have a degree in x but only managed a pass.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    When you say you got a "pass" does that mean you got a third, or something lower than that?

As others have said, put the degree on but leave off the grade. Your going to struggle with graduate positions, but its not impossible. What area are you looking in?

One you have a few years of experience under your belt your degree grade is largely moot anyway.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 2.2 and it was never a hindrance. That said it was in the times when degrees were rarer.
    For my very first job though (cleaner in a bingo hall) I pretended not to have a degree. Was married at the time and I just said I had been at home living the life of a kept woman! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    When you say you got a "pass" does that mean you got a third, or something lower than that?

Lower than that - the classifications would be: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, Pass and then Fail.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Lower than that - the classifications would be: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, Pass and then Fail.

A third takes some stunningly consistent mediocrity to get. A pass degree is usually for other reasons like having to retake a year through failing exams (e.g. in my case) or illness / death of a parent. A lot depends on the specific rules of the college (I had enough passes and grades to scrape a 2:1, but had failed 6 modules when you were only allowed to fail 4 in the last 2 years (I still had 21 passes which was all you needed for an honours and my average was over 60%). Bitter - yes for about 5 years, not for the past 28 years.

The OU allows credit transfer from a degree so you might only need to do 2-4 Level 3 courses.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the jobs you are applying for aren't related to your degree, you could always say you felt more interest and dedication towards your work than your degree subject and that is why you didn't perform as well as you could.

I would definitely put the degree in the CV though. Unfortunately I do think employers care about degree class at entry level (it matters less 10 years into your career). Even if you can't get into the big graduate schemes, medium or small companies may be willing to employ you if you have relevant work experience.

Did you go you a good standard university? For example, a 2:2 from Oxford may carry the same weight as as 2:1 from Bucks Uni or whatever it's called.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »

As others have said, put the degree on but leave off the grade. Your going to struggle with graduate positions, but its not impossible. What area are you looking in?

One you have a few years of experience under your belt your degree grade is largely moot anyway.

Honours Degree classifications work this way.

A First, 2.1 or 2.2, or 3rd class of Honours

If you don't get sufficient passes in your modules to even get a 3rd then you qualify for the degree without Honours, ie a Pass Degree.

Or you can fail!

Anyone with any degree can use it as part credit towards another degree through transfer of credits to another University such as the Open University. I believe in this case the OP would only need a few courses to complete the honours degree with them but he needs to apply for credit transfer to see exactly what he needs to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

Did you go you a good standard university? For example, a 2:2 from Oxford may carry the same weight as as 2:1 from Bucks Uni or whatever it's called.

No not really, meaning it isn't worth the bit of paper it's written on.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as others say you should list the degree just not the "grade" then if questioned on it at interview you can elaborate. You should list it in such a way that it is made clear you did the degree whilst working full time

To get a degree when working full time shows commitment and is worthy of mention even if you didn't get the grade you wanted. A good employer will take this into consideration.

On the negative side not including the degree could cause problems down the line when they discover you do have a degree as essentially you have lied by omission and they may start to wonder what else you have kept from them

good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the negative side not including the degree could cause problems down the line when they discover you do have a degree as essentially you have lied by omission and they may start to wonder what else you have kept from them

good luck

True, but surely it is not nearly as bad as doing it the other way round ie. pretending you've got one when you don't.

Also, how likely would it be that they'd actually find out or even bother looking?

Can I ask re. top-ups or credit transfers, is there anyone here who has done that or knows someone who has?