Samsung Galaxy S5 - new to this. Help!!?

Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all

Not often in these forums unless in tech-distress.

Anyhow, I am a long time iPhone user and never really had an issue as find it user-friendly. However, fed up of Apple and their general incompatibility so upgraded on Friday to the Samsung S5.

Well, it doesn't come with a user-manual so have no clue. When I google user help its incomprehensible. They screenshot screens I never even get to,

Tried to move iPhone data to S5 using Switch. Contacts, music and memo have moved but nothing else. So, I try to re-download the Apps straight to my new phone and it says no storage.

Any Apps that will download will not recognise me (Twitter, FB) and kick me out. The phone won't accept my wifi password either.

Also, two of my home screens on the S5 are just f**king adverts for free Apps I don't want but they don't let me delete them.

Please can someone advise? Feel free to be as patronising as possible because I will need talking to like a simpleton. I'm on the edge of giving up and going back to a much easier to use iPhone...:o

Comments

• gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look on YouTube for tips or if you know anyone who can help you. Sounds like you need a quick crash course in android basics.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are hundreds of articles on how to move from apple to android, like this one specific to your device

http://www.androidcentral.com/moving-samsung-galaxy-s5-iphone-heres-what-you-need-know

Home screens can be deleted edited, anything really. To remove content from a home screen press & hold the object you want to remove & drag it to the bin that will appear after the haptic feedback. You can then delete them from your phone using the application manager. Not all apps can be deleted, most of the samsung ones you can not remove but you can disable them with kitkat.

What error are you getting when trying to connect to your home wifi?

Your wifi is what I would be trying to sort 1st, the device is terribly handicapped without it especially if it wants to update loads of apps & possibly even the O/S.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. It's not happy recognising anything, none of my previous log ins. Think I will spend all of tomorrow doing some YouTube research...
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the wireless password there is a box you can tick when entering it to show what you have typed (just in case you are typing it wrongly).

Also worth checking if somebody has set your wireless router up to not accept any new devices but by default they should not come setup this way?

Also wondering how much music etc you have that you are trying to transfer from your iPhone (what size memory was the iPhone and how much did you have left on it)? May be worth getting a 64gb memory card for £35 and putting your music, photos and videos on there and then just having the whole of the 16gb phones memory for the OS and the apps.

With the Twitter and Facebook apps not recognising you are you entering the right username and password, as it should not make and difference using them on the iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile or on a PC?
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello all

Not often in these forums unless in tech-distress.

Anyhow, I am a long time iPhone user and never really had an issue as find it user-friendly. However, fed up of Apple and their general incompatibility so upgraded on Friday to the Samsung S5.

Well, it doesn't come with a user-manual so have no clue. When I google user help its incomprehensible. They screenshot screens I never even get to,

Tried to move iPhone data to S5 using Switch. Contacts, music and memo have moved but nothing else. So, I try to re-download the Apps straight to my new phone and it says no storage.

Any Apps that will download will not recognise me (Twitter, FB) and kick me out. The phone won't accept my wifi password either.

Also, two of my home screens on the S5 are just f**king adverts for free Apps I don't want but they don't let me delete them.

Please can someone advise? Feel free to be as patronising as possible because I will need talking to like a simpleton. I'm on the edge of giving up and going back to a much easier to use iPhone...:o

Hello,

Here's the direct PDF link for the Samsung Galaxy S5 from the support pages of Samsung UK; hope it helps!

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201404/20140421142204408/SM-G900F_UM_EU_Kitkat_Eng_Rev.1.1_140418.pdf