no claims discounts?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,006
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been driving for 6 years. I've had 3 different insurers in that time longest is current one which I've been with 3 years. Its now coming up to renewal time in july but don't know how many years I should put if I change insurers. I've never made a claim but do I put 3 years or 6. Don't want to mislead the insurer and give them the perfect excuse not pay if the worst happens.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    You'll shortly get your renewal notice from your current insurance company, this will tell you how many years NCB/NCD you have.
  • ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will say on your renewal letter.

Each time you moved you should have been telling them how many years you were claim free. They normally ask for a copy of the renewal from the previous company with the figure on.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusingly my insurer quoted the NCB in percentage not years on my renewal. What the hell does 60% NCB mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Confusingly my insurer quoted the NCB in percentage not years on my renewal. What the hell does 60% NCB mean?

It varies between insurance companies, it could be 4 years, but more likely it'll be equivalent to 5 years or more which is the normal maxiumum discount.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely when i went with my current insurer it waa cheaper when I put 0 NCB than when I put 2 years. Looked on my last renewal letter and it says no claims discount 3 or more years. Thats the only mention of no claims discount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my renewal letter. Reduced from £47 to 41. Since I've done got quotes from other insurers and cheapest was £33. I think I'll be changing. It does say no claims discount 5 years. So I'll put that when I do more quotes. Hopefully it'll make a difference.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Just got my renewal letter. Reduced from £47 to 41. Since I've done got quotes from other insurers and cheapest was £33. I think I'll be changing. It does say no claims discount 5 years. So I'll put that when I do more quotes. Hopefully it'll make a difference.

I'm assuming that amount is monthly, 'cos I'd love to know what you're driving if it's an annual renewal cost! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I'm assuming that amount is monthly, 'cos I'd love to know what you're driving if it's an annual renewal cost! :D

Yes monthly obviously. Wish that was annually. :)