Foreign email addresses

Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
Forum Member
Been talking to a friend of mine who is using online dating sites. He was telling me about a Russian girl who contacted him through a website that only covers the UK and they now chat via email. He has noticed recently that her email address is a yahoo.co.uk one.

This has caused him some concern as he thought they were only available to people in the UK and not to people in other countries. I am not 1005 sure if this is the case so thought I would ask in here

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i live in the Netherlands and my email ends in @hotmail.co.uk so its definitely possible.....
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why you thought it would be restricted but its easy enough, I have multiple addresses in different countries.

Its easy enough to create, microsoft live, gmail and yahoo all allow you to select which country you are in.
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Well this will be good news for him, he was contemplating ending the contact as he doesn't want to get conned.

Thanks everyone.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Spain and have .co.uk with google:)
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bald1 wrote: »
    Been talking to a friend of mine who is using online dating sites. He was telling me about a Russian girl who contacted him through a website that only covers the UK and they now chat via email. He has noticed recently that her email address is a yahoo.co.uk one.

This has caused him some concern as he thought they were only available to people in the UK and not to people in other countries. I am not 1005 sure if this is the case so thought I would ask in here

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Chances are she registered the yahoo account in part so that she would have a 'uk' email address for the uk dating site and if it went horribly wrong she could just stop using it.

As for how... goto yahoo.com, click signup, in the address bar you'll see "intl=uk" change this for the domain of your choice.

e.g. changing intl=uk for intl=gr will allow you to register a yahoo.gr email address.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they do try to restrict signing up to certain email addresses to certain countries, it's very easy to bypass this using a proxy.

It basically means nothing.